Borrowing a pony?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I may have an issue with having the wrong number of horses in a few weeks ... we are
Moving so our small herd is to be split so eventually there will be my 2 at home with Me and my mums two at home with her... due to a number of factors I don’t want to move my big horse from his training livery to spring so I may have to move cobbus on his own ... is there any charity that would lend me a pony over the winter to be a companion to my companion until the big fella comes home? I don’t want to buy as I’m looking at getting something else at some point so don’t want to end up with 4 ... but I am quite keen to have the winter off riding as it takes the pressure off as I have other life complications at present... I have excellent facilities with stabling and post and rail fields for at least 6 so this is not an issue... any suggestions?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Do you know anyone locally who has more horses than grazing? Or maybe a riding school or trekking centre? That might welcome one less mouth to feed over winter. Worth asking around I would think! Especially as everyone's fields will probably be a mess after this wet autumn.

rowan

Visit site
Don't know if you have trekking centers near you but we had a pony from the trekking center over the winter before buying my daughter her own pony many years ago. She had to prove she would help look after it etc. cruel mummy :) Trekking center had pony back at the beginning of the season.

twofatladies88

Visit site
Downward spiral lol! I got down to one so thought I would get a companion - who had a foal at foot - who then needed a companion when weaned - who turned out to be an in foal mare! Get the picture? Anyway much easier now as plenty of companions where needed- just me knackered!

However, I did read somewhere that foster homes were required but will have to think who it was. Not sure if short term though. I'm sure someone on here will know. Good luck.

Trouper

Visit site
I may have an issue with having the wrong number of horses in a few weeks ... we are
Moving so our small herd is to be split so eventually there will be my 2 at home with Me and my mums two at home with her... due to a number of factors I don’t want to move my big horse from his training livery to spring so I may have to move cobbus on his own ... is there any charity that would lend me a pony over the winter to be a companion to my companion until the big fella comes home? I don’t want to buy as I’m looking at getting something else at some point so don’t want to end up with 4 ... but I am quite keen to have the winter off riding as it takes the pressure off as I have other life complications at present... I have excellent facilities with stabling and post and rail fields for at least 6 so this is not an issue... any suggestions?
Charities like Blue Cross are often looking for homes for youngsters or old retired ones who do not need to be ridden as it gives their pastures a break. If you are up front about how long you can offer a "home" for I am sure they can find you something suitable.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve twice fostered youngsters from RSPCA Gonsal Farm, near Shrewsbury, when I’ve needed a temporary companion. They are very professional and easy to deal with. They take the youngsters back when they are three to find them a permanent home. They take responsibility for any vet bills, while the foster homes pays for everything else eg farrier, dentist etc. I’d do it again. They have strict quarantine rules so they do not send out sick animals. It’s a fabulous purpose built set up.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/local/gonsal-farm-animal-centre

B3A7ADDB-F59C-44D6-96A3-8653973C4056.jpeg

5BB7A557-ACBD-435D-811C-050687115B98.jpeg

Last edited:

jofwigby

Visit site
Quite a few charities are appealing now for winter foster - Essex Horse and Pony and Lluest etc - find out who is close and ask.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a friend in Macclesfield who would probably be happy to lend you her retired mare if you aren't right over the other side of cheshire. She was loaned out last winter until the other horse was PTS and she returned. Easy keeper, nice quiet barefoot 15.2 mare

Flash trekking centre also do winter loans, though they may be sorted by now.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a friend in Macclesfield who would probably be happy to lend you her retired mare if you aren't right over the other side of cheshire. She was loaned out last winter until the other horse was PTS and she returned. Easy keeper, nice quiet barefoot 15.2 mare

Flash trekking centre also do winter loans, though they may be sorted by now.

Were just near Somerford park so if I need a companion she sounds perfect... I’ll let you know if I need one x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Were just near Somerford park so if I need a companion she sounds perfect... I’ll let you know if I need one x

That would be great, she goes there often anyway. PM me if you want her contact details. I wouldn't be surprised if you recognise her name, and she's a lovely person, very easy going and won't expect you to pay for vets or age related issues.

beingachicken

Visit site
Charities like Blue Cross are often looking for homes for youngsters or old retired ones who do not need to be ridden as it gives their pastures a break. If you are up front about how long you can offer a "home" for I am sure they can find you something suitable.
Absolutely this! The blue cross want temporary foster homes sometimes. You could be offering something a lifeline!