Boswelia

chaps89

Visit site
I've seen on other threads people recommend feeding boswelia as a joint supplement/aid.
Madam feels a touch stiff for longer at the moment and I've noticed her stifles have started clicking so wonder if it's time to start giving her a helping hand.
How much do you feed, is there different types/grades, where's best to buy it from?

Twohorses

Visit site
This link may help you:). There's a paragraph on Boswelia.

https://thenaturallyhealthyhorse.com/2014/02/07/joint-supplements-horses/

That said, I cannot remember if Boswelia is cosidered safe for horses with metabolic issues. If your horse has metabolic issues, do further research before buying:)

Whenever I buy anything of this sort for my horses, I buy pure human grade. Also, when buying herbal products, oftentimes (not always) it is safer to buy a product that is a combination of herbs. More research required:)

Herbs can be just as dangerous as drugs, feeding them requires just as much study and caution, IMHO:)

chaps89

Visit site
Thankyou for the response, it's really useful.
The article is really interesting - I'm surprised so many of the traditional joint supplements get positive feedback actually. The suggested dosage is useful too.
She is a very good doer and we have always treated her as metabolic, I hadn't given any consideration that a joint supplement might interfere with that so thankyou for mentioning that.
Out of interest why is a combination of herbs better than a single one? (Presumably you get multiple benefits from the multiple herbs but that feels a bit too much of a simple explanation!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was feeding F boswellia and he is treated as metabolic. I'm not aware of any recorded issues. It is processed in the liver and given his possible liver issues too and the fact that he is now on bute anyway I stopped using it but the mare still gets it.

I used to get the B. carteri from rahiiq.com but they've not had it in for a long time so moved onto serrata. Most are pure ground frankincense IME. Dosage I can't remember, just know we have a small round blue scoop which is about right by weight! I suspect it was probably their recommendation of 10-15g.

I did a fair amount of research before starting it as that's the sort of person I am obviously :D. I didn't tell anyone I had done so and got several comments about why F was moving so much better (spavin). It worked well on it's own for about 18 months/2 years and then it got to the point that I had him injected and that worked better :p. So IME it has some capacity for improvement but is not a bute equivalent.

Twohorses

Visit site
Out of interest why is a combination of herbs better than a single one? (Presumably you get multiple benefits from the multiple herbs but that feels a bit too much of a simple explanation!)

My lameness vet thankfully has an above average interest in treating metabolic issues and combing Chinese medicine with traditional science.

He took Dr. Xie's equine herbal course. The vet explained to me that feeding only one herb can sometimes be danervous to the animal. That many herbs do better when there are three or more herbs combined in a precise formula.

He had put my IR horse on one of Dr. Xie's herbal compounds for his high insulin levels in 2012.

The horse's insulin levels thre more than 3X higher than what Cornell Univ. considered high-normal.

The herbal compound was called "Hot Hoof I" and had around 20 herbs combined, in the formula. I made the choice of the herbal compound over Thyro-L.

The horse stayed on that herbal compound for a couple of years; he has been in remission since 2015, grazes on six acres without a muzzle and his version of short grazing time is out to pasture by about 9:30 AM and in his stall by dusk for the night. So far so good:)

This same vet and also my equine vet/chiro have prescribed other herbal compounds from Dr. Xie for my other horse and they have also done what they were supposed to do:)

Anyway, compounded herbs are allegedly much safer for the animal than SOME herbs used singly. I'm pretty sure Boswelia is NOT one that needs to be worried about in that manner:)

Here's the link to Dr. Xie's web site. He is based near Ocala, Florida, USA. That area is BIG in race horses and eventers, so he picked a good spot to have his herbal business:)

https://store.tcvmherbal.com/Default.asp?

I am at a good day's drive further north but Dr. Xie's herbal fame has spread across the U.S. The herbs are not cheap but they do their job as long as the prescriber knows what they are prescribing for:)

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I have started feeding Boswelia about 6 weeks ago, I ran out 2 days ago and am waiting for more thats been delayed but definitely noticed a difference. He is stiffer in the neck and doesn't seem as happy in himself.. so I am sure it helps in some ways.