Bot flies on teats

bumper

Visit site
My friends mare has a four day old foal, and is being plagued by bot flies on her teats. How can my friend repel them...as she is worried about applying anything to the bag?

dizzidip

Visit site
I had this problem with my mare last year, she pseudo-lactates during the occassional cycle, the bots got to her, because the teat was open she got a huge absess in all four udder chambers that tracked up to her umbilicus. Pus dripping from her teats for days. She was a poorly girl for a long time. I am now udder obsessed!
I cant put anything on the udder without causing irritation becauses she is sensitive, your friend is right to be wary, I am not entirely sure what would be safe for a foal. I wash my mares udder daily and make sure it is dry. I spray fly spray around her belly and the nearby areas. If flies are terrible I bring her in and I also feed her garlic, none of these things can be done to a 4 day old baby easily (and some not at all). I would suggest fly spraying mare (?foal no idea which product safe), feeding mare garlic and speaking to a vet to ask their advice. The one down side of Summer are the flies to me. Hope she gets it sorted.

bumper

Visit site
Thaks..she pulls them off when she sees them, but is concerned not only about the health of the mares teats/bag, but the impact on the foal ingesting eggs.