Bot fly eggs

S_N

Visit site
All os a sudden my 2 are COVERED in them!! So far this year they haven't had ANY on them and yesterday evening when I turned them out they were egg free - this am, they litterally had yellow fetlocks and they were spread up the legs and shoulders - even on the back legs and 1/4's!

They are now in their lovely cool stable and free of yellowness.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any fly spray/solution that kept the blighters away? It's a long shot, but worth asking.....

Accy

Visit site
I had weeks free from them when all the others were getting them, using flygone la then i changed and the last couple of days he has had them, im swtiching back at the weekend

JM7

Visit site
PMSL!!!!!!!! stuff the fly egg remedy, SN....LOVE yer avatar!!!!!!!

grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]PMSL!! I just saw that too.. was gunna comment!!
grin.gif

ClareMc

Visit site
I was just thinking this morning "no bot eggs yet" will probably get home tonight and find them covered.

I only know the knife routine to get rid of them.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I have discovered that an oily based spray - such as Avons skin so soft - prevents the little blighters from being able to stick to the legs. It really does work!

spaniel

Visit site
I just pick the little devils off....very non technical but Ive not had to deal with more than half a dozen at a time so far.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!! Glad you like ma dear!!!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I don't know any sprays that keep them away, but a damn bot fly worked its way around all of mine the other day. Managed to squash it as it started to attack the fillies, but i only know of the scrape method of getting rid of the eggs im afraid..

S_N

Visit site
Loving the siggy Spans!!

Well that's what I did - thankfully H loves to be brushed and scrubbed, ANYWHERE on his body, bless him! It's just so hottifying in this weather!!

sunflower

Visit site
I used to like picking them off horses legs - quite satisfying in a way but then I saw a BBC programme about parasites including a woman who thought she had an abcess on her head 'until she felt it wriggle' and it was a bot fly larva. They had to remove it by waiting until it was big enough and suffocating it out. Gave me nightmares (and no it wasn't an urban myth) they think she must have had an egg under her nail and scratched her head *shudders*

RachelB

Visit site
Yuck yuck yuck! Sunflower I'm going to have nightmares tonight! I did after someone (on HHO?) said about a person getting a cockroach in their tongue after licking an envelope and getting scratched. EWWWW!!!
Anyway, I just pick them off. And squish as many flies as I can! I've seen some NetTex stuff that is meant to help the eggs come off easier. And my big tip is to not let them fall on the floor (as they'll be eaten then anyway in hay etc.) but to have a bucket of water next to you and dip your knife into it, the eggs will then stick to the wet knife until you swish them off into the bucket.
I'm lucky, we have midges and flies galore at my yard but no bot flies as yet!

severnmiles

Visit site
SN, I don't know of any fly solution or spray that keeps them away but the company that sponser the Ryans make a spray that you spray on the eggs and it kills the eggs and eventually they drop or brush off because they only cling on when alive! Lucky for me my sister knew the rep and I got some free
smirk.gif
I don't think its cheap but its good stuff! Good luck, I killed two of the blighters today, nasty horrid things.
mad.gif

PS. The name is Net-tex

S_N

Visit site
Cheers hun! I just don't want to be scrappling aroun H's front legs all the time on my own - though he's good boy, bless him!