Bottled Guinness adding shine to a coat?

Visit site
So guys I've heard from two or three people now that adding specifically bottled Guinness to a horse or ponies diet will help add shine to there coat? Has anyone else heard this or even tested the theory? Just some generally discussions and views on it :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I personally wouldn't want to feed Guiness daily, as I think there are more suitable alternatives for long term feeding. I'd be more inclined to feed a general purpose supplement containing linseed, if you specifically want coat shine.

But, I'm sure some horses might do well on it :)

Caol Ila

Visit site
I wonder what my YO would say if I left twelve packs of Guinness in the feed room and asked him to pour a can into my horse's feed each day. LOL.

JillA

Visit site
I used to feed it 30 odd years ago, but not daily. As I lived in an Off Licence I had a ready supply. Figured if it was good enough for Arkle it was good enough for mine.

I did even longer ago - horse never had all four feet on the ground at a time!! Much better feeding micronized linseed if you want a shiny coat

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
You're a ruddy fool if you think guiness has special amounts of iron!!! Champagne actually has more!!! It's minuscule amounts that is no more than any other drink. It's black because if the type of malt. The malt is roasted which is why all stouts are dark. Guiness is a stout.

I can think of more nutritious ways of getting iron in a horse.

The belief is all a big marketing ploy but yes if Arkle had some then there must be "something" about it... Although, you'd think if he were that good they could have afforded him some champers!!

nic85

Visit site
I know its been done for years but why would you feed a horse Alcohol? I mean now that feeds have improved so much over the years and we are still finding new feed stuffs, supplements etc but why knowingly feed alcohol?
Personally for a shiny coat I groom my horse, she has good quality forage and a simple diet but I don't add anything to her diet to make her shiny :) just elbow grease :p

Freddie19

Visit site
Guinness is good for you. My horses/ponies all had a bottle added to their feed as a treat, especially after hard work, they loved it. Just don't let them drive for a few hours after it.

DJ

Visit site
Guinness contains Brewers Yeast .... Brewers Yeast is a good form of B vits .... B vits (particularly B2) is very good for skin, nails (hoof) and hair .... Brewers yeast also helps calm digestive issues, among other things, helping aid digestion and absorption of minerals etc ..... So technically yes, it would help with coat shine, but you are better off just feeding Brewers Yeast and/or Linseed.

flirtygerty

Visit site
I know its been done for years but why would you feed a horse Alcohol? I mean now that feeds have improved so much over the years and we are still finding new feed stuffs, supplements etc but why knowingly feed alcohol?
Personally for a shiny coat I groom my horse, she has good quality forage and a simple diet but I don't add anything to her diet to make her shiny :) just elbow grease :p

Sometimes you don't have a choice, I was mugged for my cup of tea while in the field with my lad, my other half was mugged by the same horse for his whiskey, he now gets tea sometimes but OH won't share his whisley

cambrica

Visit site
Going back to the 1970's my friends dad had a few Sec B show ponies. Every sunday they would get a bottle of guiness and a raw egg in a hot bran mash. Then after a while he changed it to Mackesons stout claiming it was better than guiness. I said to my mum we should be feeding guiness to my pony. I won't tell you what she said in reply as I at the time I was too young to understand it :confused:
I think I'll stick to micronised linseed ;)