Bought a horse 14.1 2yrs not he’s 13.1

Nesspot

New User
Visit site
Hi can you help me please I purchased a youngster in good faith have all the messages and original advert. Inc delivery to my yard. 2500k turns out he’s smaller than seller said a whole hand smaller. She’s now saying I’m lying and he was measured by a vet when he was castrated just before he came to me. I’ve asked her to either take him back as he’s not as described or give me some of the money back as he’s no use to me as a riding horse. She keeps saying she wants a video to prove which ive done She still saying he is 14.1 I’ve told her to come and measure him she is just trying to get away with it hoping I will go away. What can Id do she is a dealer from cob land Norwich.

many advice please ? Appreciated Vanessa

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
What size did you want the 2 year old to reach at maturity? I hope you visited him in the flesh and didn’t buy unseen...2.5k is quite a lot of money. What breed is he? How big were dam and sire? These are the questions to have asked prior to purchase. I suspect this may turn out to be an expensive lesson. Sorry.

Nesspot

New User
Visit site
Hi yes he was bought unseen in good faith as he was quite far away she said he was 14.1 now to make 15.1/2 hands cob/sports horse, she does not have a very now she said vet did it while he was there castrating. . She also had a good reputation, as a two year old there’s no trying out and he’s lovely but smaller than she said she completely lied there no 1 inch difference there’s a whole hands difference 4.4 inches? And so skinny he looked poorly when he arrived so wormed him now feeding him up bathed him as he was rotten. I just feel she should refund some as he’s not first for purpose

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
I've done exactly the same. It's a very (very, even by standards) long story but I bought a 2yr old unseen and was told he was 14.1hh. The tiniest little skeleton arrived and he was barely 13hh and looked more like a scabby yearling.

He's a QH and his parents were 14.3/15.1hh iirc so he was never going to be massive anyway.

Getting to my point, despite being malnourished and behind where he should have been in regards to physical maturity because of that, he's made full height. I've not had a stick to him but hes approx 15hh.

He was obviously fed when I got him and given plenty of time to mature, I knew people with horses the same age as him and they looked like totally different animals compared to my "runt".

It's obviously not right if you've purchased a 14.1hh and that's not what has been sent but depending on what height you were expecting him to make dont lose hope just yet.

Nesspot

New User
Visit site
Yes your right I am feeding him up and giving him the attention he deserves he has a big head and big bones hopefully he will grow into them lol but principle is the key why lie to people he’s just not worth that money he looked so good in pics and bigger she was clever with the photos

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Perhaps the vet said the height he thought the pony would make. Stick to your guns and demand he's taken back or you will take it further...and don't buy anything else without going to see it and take everything in an advert with a large pinch of salt.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you can show him with a measuring stick correctly on him at 13.1hh then she has no legal option but to take him back. Stick to your guns and tell her that unless he's collected livery charges start in a week's time. Send her a recorded delivery letter stating that.

ETA I have realised that you want to keep him. If you do, I don't think you have a right to any money back, it's impossible to prove that a 13.1 isn't worth as much as a 14.1

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
I'm sure you already know but be careful not to feed him up too much.

I had my vet on the yard, to see my other horse, the day skinny minnie arrived so he got seen then as I was slightly worried about "re feeding syndrome" he was so underweight and in awful condition.

We had plenty of grass and he got adlib hay when in. He was so poor that I scrapped my original plan of fibre feeds with vit/mun supp and fed a youngstock feed to get more calories I to him slowly and sensibly. Within 3mths i went back to the fibre plan as he had picked up nicely and he was a totally different looking horse 6mths later.

I "knew" the stud, Evan's Quarter Horses, that I got mine from having been in contact with them for over 10yrs. I had previously left a deposit on a filly, that I was planning to view, but due to a change of yards I had to back out. When I reserved this horse it seemed poi tless travelling all the way to wales, and the cost involved, to look at a youngster in a field. At this point the stud had an excellent reputation and lots of previous buyers contacted me to say how happy they were with their horses. After mine arrived the same people messaged asking if he had been in poor condition and admitted that the place was a dive, the horses were in poor condition and it should be shut down (!!). Apparently lots of poor horses but people have said mine was the poorest they had seen leave there (some claim to fame!). If I had viewed I'd probably have bought 2 more just to save them ? I'm fairly sure that place has stopped breeding now so small mercies

Nesspot

New User
Visit site
Yes I will be careful with his feeding just yearling feed with vits minerals etc hay and plenty of grass, he’s so lovely I’d hate to send him back. But he’s too small for me.
I am sorry to hear your story though, I’m the same I would have bought them all just to get them away from these people.
I will keep trying to get some money back just to make her think about doing it to anyone else hopefully. ESP as she’s a dealer. All be it a very glamerous one ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know it's not the point but he could still make a decent height my Arab was about that big at 2 his 15h fully grown.

Sounds like his landed on feet with you I can imagine you don't really want to send him back because he was so poor. Such a shame

Gingerwitch

Visit site
You may be surprised at his height. My two mares were obviously not aware of the label on the box and the were both supposed to be 15 HH at maturity, one is a good 15.3 and the other 16.1, do glad I got the wrong boxes now lol x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You can pretty accurately estimate the mature height of a two year old by doing the string test, that will at least give you an idea if he will reach your desired size. (Search on here to find out how to do it).

Buster2020

Visit site
I bought a horse that the seller said was 15 hands she turned out to be 16 .1 hands . Unfortunately I am very short so I look stupid on a horse that big .

Tidy_rabbit

Visit site
No direct experience with this dealer but I am in the local area and tbh I'm not surprised. Not got the best reputation. Don't think you'll get a partial refund, best option is to try and return but I would imagine the money has already been spent.