Bought a horse, massive second thoughts due to financial aspect

boudr1cm

New User
Visit site
Hi there, need some advice for a new horse owner... I have been out of the horse game for about 8 years, I sold my horse for college and have missed it ever since... I have felt depressed this year, feeling like I had no hobby for myself, nothing that was mine, and I felt very unfulfilled. I even went to therapy for a few months. I used to competed nationally and qualified for worlds, horses were my whole life and I figured that is what I must be missing. I make average money as a new grad out of school but not a whole lot. I sat down with my significant other and we created our budget sheet and determined we could make it happen. That it would be tight, but we could make it work and still be able to save just not as much… fast forward to last night, we shipped a horse 1200 miles to us (a big cost in itself), and I am filled with doubts and regret since he arrived. It took 20 minutes just to get him off the trailer, mind you this was at 3am and it was dark and scary… he is an off the track Quarter horse I am planning to train for barrel racing (what I used to do, but this would be my first barrel prospect). The farrier comes out today, my apartment rent is this week, I paid the board plus security deposit, bought around $1000 worth of horse stuff for him since I had sold all of my things, on top of his initial cost and the jaw dropping shipping fee, my bank account is nearly drained. I expected this for the most part, but I am still in shock… my significant other keeps reassuring me that it will be okay, that the money will start creeping back up again in my account, and I also have a pet portrait business I am starting up again now that I am out of school. I just can’t help but feel I have made a massive mistake, and that anyone with any financial sense at all would not have done what I just did. His purchase price alone should have deterred me but I know you get what you pay for, and I made myself okay with that.

I guess I’m asking if I my intuition is right. I like the horse. I don't love him. I know that takes time… I am just really struggling and feeling extremely overwhelmed with financial pressure and responsibility, aka horse ownership. He’s already being pasture boarded which is still $500/mo. I know I would feel better if I got my business up and running, and I did finish the website this weekend. It would help tremendously. But still it’s not a sure source of income.

Just feel like I jumped off a cliff without looking first if there was water at the bottom.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
It's completely normal to feel that sense of 'oh *&$% what have I done?' when you undertake any major change - I had it when we got our puppy eight years ago and have had it when we bought both my daughter's horses. I've also had it when I got pregnant, moved house and changed jobs ...

I certainly wouldn't make any hasty decisions right now - the money you've already spent is a sunk cost and even if you sold your horse right now you'd still be out of pocket. It's great that your partner is being so supportive - listen to them. And take as much pressure off as you can - try to relax into this new situation and breathe!

jkitten

Visit site
I know it's overwhelming but it sounds to me like you have already spent all the big money, with no hope of getting it back no matter what you do now, correct? In a way that makes it easier, because you don't have to make any big decision right now. That money is gone and never coming back, so now you can just focus on making the best of what you have, which is a wonderful animal no doubt keen to settle down and do his best for you. Yes his board is expensive, but if your OH is on board why not just go with it for a couple of months? Hang out with your new pal, enjoy the fresh air, don't put pressure on yourself to make any more big decisions right now. Wishing you the best!

Peglo

Visit site
I bought a new pony earlier this year. I felt exactly the same with costs. £100 here, £80 there 10% import tax, and it kept totalling up. We picked her up off the boat in the middle of the night and understandably she had a bit of a breakdown and couldn’t get her caught for a bit! I thought ‘what have I done!!’ Got her home and she settled down to eat as she was clearly starving! I had her isolated for several weeks from my other 2 and she paced so much as she wanted to get in with them. But she was a total sweetheart! Really such a lovely wee lassie and so easy. But I still had doubts, I felt worried about everything and was a bit scared of the unknown.
Now however, it’s been so worth it. I adore her and she always makes me smile.

I agree with above, your OH sounds great and lovely to have so much support! Try not to panic! Honestly you sound pretty exhausted. And tiredness can make you feel so stressed. You’ve got your horse now so forget the money side and concentrate on getting your business up and running. Don’t let everything overwhelm you. One thing at a time. And best of luck.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I yearned for a baby but looked at my new born son screaming in his cot and thought I’ve ruined my life. I hadn’t done any such thing. I think it is natural to be daunted by a big thing like getting a horse after a long break. I reckon once you are out there training and competing and enjoying the company of your peers you will feel so happy and elated your doubts will evaporate. Your partner sounds like an absolute diamond too.