Bouncy canter help?

rallan15

Visit site
I’m currently on holiday and I’ve been to this riding school daily. They’ve put me on this amazing horse (I usually ride green ish horses so I’m not used to being on something that’s forward and knows it’s job) but the only issue is she’s so bouncy.
I’ve not had this issue before as I’m usually okay at sitting canters.
The main problem is since she’s so bouncy I’m getting flung about and I’m loosing balance really easily.
As for my position I’m relaxed and sitting up tall in the middle of the saddle how I was taught but im still all over the place. Has anyone got any tips at all? I have my last 2 lessons here tomorrow and Thursday so I want to make the most of them and not be stuck barely able to even canter.

Shay

Visit site
If you bounce there is tension somewhere - possibly becuase you are worried about being bounced! A good stable lower leg would make a singificant difference - but you get that over time and from working either without stirrups or standing - fully standing upright not two point - in them. Cantering on the lunge with your eyes closed can really help feel that bigger motion and adapt to it. Working bareback helps too. But none of these are "safe" and many RS will not allow it at least not in a group lesson.

LegOn

Visit site
Standing up in your stirrups in canter is a good way to see if your holding an tension on your knee and pivoting more causing some extra bounce! (Standing as Shay mentioned and not two point) Then try rising to the canter & then getting yourself a little more back in the saddle than the centre to see if it helps with sitting to the canter. Sometimes forcing yourself to be too straight can cause some rigidity to come into your body aswell rather and absorbing the movement with your lower back - so standing can help you feel your own body more and where your centre of balance actually is!

Then try see if your stirrups are the right length aswell - try a few holes longer to stretch your leg down and underneath you & also a shorter length like your jumping length and really concentrate on getting the feel of opening your hip and pushing the majority of your weight into the lower leg to balance you. Sounds like a lovely horse to learn on though!

oldie48

Visit site
I used to struggle to sit to Bisto's canter which was active and forward but tight in his back, once he gave in his back it was easy to sit to. Could this be what is happening with this horse?