Box rest boredom

HannahB

Visit site
Haynets in different corners of the box helped my mare, but depends how much movement yours is allowed. Hiding carrots in the hay was a success. Can yours see any other horses?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had one at work where he had a day box and a night box. They had different views. He was allowed to walk from one to the other, literally crossing the yard. It also meant the boxes could be kept properly clean without disturbing him. We had a horse next door at all times (which could vary) and activity on the yard. One of the boxes was an indoor one, with bars to the next door so they could touch noses. This one was also 16' X 16', so he could turn in comfort. The radio was always on anyway.

He became actually very placid with this routine. We could tie a horse outside his stable so they could mutual groom necks. Some days, we would get him out and stand him beside another for a better mutual groom. We also groomed 3 X a day, with a wipe over to finish.

Once he was allowed to be a little mobile, he was allowed to pick at the grass outside the stable, but he tended to be less placid at this so it didn't happen often. Grass definitely had an energising effect. We didn't do Lickits or anything, just ad lib haylage in small holed nets.

I think he was caged for about 3 months like this. Made a full recovery from an almost severed tendon in his pastern from an electric fence injury.