Box Rest Dramas!

rcm_73

Visit site
Mare came out of the stable like the starting gates today and after tying her on the yard in her usual place whilst I muck out etc (she's on 3 mnths box rest) she continued to thrash about, got foot caught up, panicked, fell onto her quarters and broke loose. All this only after the leadrope snapped (no idea why the baling twine didn't give or her so-called 'fieldsafe' headcollar). Back hooves have a few chunks missing from her scrabbling and she's took one of her chestnuts off. This is the second time she has behaved like this and can't do her ligament any good. I always tie her on the yard while I potter about and she usually behaves ok but as YO has seen to her last two days she hasn't been out of the barn, so i think this could be why she behaved so badly either that or he has overfed her. Did tell him this but he doesn't much like handling her incase she gets loose (she's a TB) so he doesn't tie her on the yard, just swaps her to a clean box. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of a calmer or something that I can give her or some way of managing box rest without too many dramas?! Thinking chifney to bring her out of box but think YO is too inexperienced to use one with her and there's always going to be one day a week when I can't possibly get there. She still has about 6 weeks left box resting but as her leg improves her mind is on one thing and one thing only...GALLOP!!

BethH

Visit site
Dually pressure halter for leading out was great for controlling Ryan and can be tied up as a normal headcollar - just make sure is unclipped from pressure rope on to normal headcollar ring.

Does she have a haynet to eat whilst tied up on yard - that would keep her busy, or maybe split her feeds so she can have something small to eat on yard. Other thing I always did as Ryan can be horribly bargy, is using pressure halter, he had to stand for 3 seconds in doorway of stable before being allowed to walk out and when being fed had to step to back of stable and wait well out of my personal space, make it part of your routine everytime you take her out of stable or feed her, it had a big impact on Ryan's behaviour, could always try using a bit of carrot in your hand to keep her with you whilst she is standing in doorway if she doesn't get pushy with treats.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Eek three months box rest that's some hard going for you both!
frown.gif

Firstly speak to your vet and explain that it's being a bit tough for you (the last thing he'll want is for you to get hurt or for your horse to further damage himself) Ask about acp which you can feed your horse to ensure he's settled - also with box rest being stressful this can lead to other problems such as digestive disturbances and gastric ulcers which can cause the horse untold problems which manifest in bad/naughty and excitable behaviour.
Kate x

catembi

Visit site
Cat had ACP when on box rest following a nearly fatal barbed wire incident.

It stopped him getting agitated, but it also made him look very sad, so be prepared for that. It will be for her own good in the long run.

Eaglestone

Visit site
I tend to think that moving her to a clean and safe box like your YO did sounds the best option for safety and to ensure that you do not end up with further injuries to your mare or anyone else.
My old boy was on 5 months box rest where he was not even allowed to stand tied up outside, due to Laminitis, so I know what a nightmare it is! Fortunately for me he was so very very good and that was even being left all day on his own, whilst his stable mate went out in the field for part of the day!
Not sure I would put any of us through that again, but hindsight is a good thing, for anyone who thinks this sounds cruel!

cellie

Visit site
Every vet seems to have a different opinion on box rest.Personally I think horses keep a lot saner on restricted paddock and box rest .I have just done 9 weeks in 12 by 10 paddock turnout and stabling at night with tb and linked his field to 5 others with a restricted entrance and he hasnt had any sedation and has been very level headed. I have alot happier horse than when I had to box last year.Couldnt you chat to your vet re turnout.