Box rest - Help!

muddygreymare

Visit site
My mare has injured her Superficial Digital Flexor Tendon and the vet scanned it yesterday
She is on full box rest for 4 weeks then can be walked out for 10 minutes twice daily for another month then it's being rescanned to see how it's healing. Absolutely gutted :(

Anyway, she's a very good doer and is going to struggle a bit with being in so I'm looking for ideas to occupy her that ideally aren't full of sugar/treats! Luckily her stable faces onto the yard and there is always people coming and going so she has lots of things to look at. She also has arthritis in her back legs so im worried being in is going to affect that too. I guess I'm just worrying and she'll be fine but any boredom busting ideas or just experiences of long term box rest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :)7)

FBDD

Visit site
You could try giving her grass pellets in a treat ball. They are 100% natural but will mean she could still get a small amount of the green stuff. Great product from Emerald ! Soak hay to reduce calories and give little and often hay nets, perhaps weigh them out so you know exactly what her daily allowance is.

Sometimes I would slice carrot up and put in amongst the hay in the net. If I think of anymore I will let you know, but am sure she will be fine

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Definitely agree with grass pellets, my mare had them when she was on box rest so she could have something to eat but not gain lots of weight!