Box rest, horse getting upset, help?

Lizzeexox

Visit site
So my 2 year old couldn’t walk last week due to possible tendon injury/ infection, she is now weight baring and leg is only a little swollen - she thinks she is recovered. She is going insane but the vet wanted her bandaged on box rest. We have a small field that’s flat that’s probably the size of 8 stables. Do you think she could be turned out in there? She’s not fizzy and we’ve walked her out but she is box walking in the stable, when out of the stable she’s happy just grazing and having a net. But obviously she can’t be bandaged out according to the vet hence him wanting her in. Any ideas? She will have been in 7 days Thursday. Thanks

Zuzzie

Visit site
Speak to your vet first but one solution would be to construct a pen with electric fencing in the field, about the size of a stable, which you could move about as needed. Or, you could buy some simple stable toys e.g. a plastic ball which you could fill with treats or pony cubes, or thread some string through the middle of a swede and hang it up for the horse to nibble when it can catch it (be sure to hang it high though).

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Speak to your vet first but one solution would be to construct a pen with electric fencing in the field, about the size of a stable, which you could move about as needed. Or, you could buy some simple stable toys e.g. a plastic ball which you could fill with treats or pony cubes, or thread some string through the middle of a swede and hang it up for the horse to nibble when it can catch it (be sure to hang it high though).
I wouldn't pen a fractious 2 yr old with tape, its asking for a vets bill! ?

bonny

Visit site
I would turn her out as she’s quiet and you have a small paddock. Leaving her in and upset could do more harm than good and definitely don’t make her an electric pen

paddi22

Visit site
the latest opinion on boxers seems to be changing in favour of restricted turnout and encouraging some movement/turnout, even for tendon stuff.. I never box rest, I'd put her in the paddock and see is she happy

coblets

Visit site
Consult with vet, but I'd turn her out. Have her watched for the first though, as a 2yo who's been in for a week is liable to be more fizzy than usual. Can she interact with other horses over the fence line? And provide stable toys and snuffle mats too to keep her entertained.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
the latest opinion on boxers seems to be changing in favour of restricted turnout and encouraging some movement/turnout, even for tendon stuff.. I never box rest, I'd put her in the paddock and see is she happy

About time. It was 35 years ago that I did tendons in my foot and was advised in A&E to use it as much as possible, within reason. I've never agreed with box resting tendon injuries in horses, and have successfully rehabbed 2 check ligaments, a double front ddft, a suspensory branch and multiple foot tendons without.

OP your tiny paddock sounds perfect.

Last edited:

Lizzeexox

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’ve put her in a small field, not too small that she wants to get out but small enough she can’t get up to speed. Put her in with my 27 year old who is a good boy. When I let her out I closed my eyes, she just ate grass never even trotted. She just didn’t like the stable. Crossed fingers she comes round

paddi22

Visit site
yeah the current thinking seems to be that keeping them neatly happier with less stress, and allowing movement, is the best healer. your set-up sounds perfect for recovery