box rest

parsley

Visit site
Bomber has got to stay in for 2 weeks. He is allowed in a largish part of a barn with a very small outside bit. Vet says he can have 10 mins twice a day out to have a walk and some grass. I am just wondering what I can do to keep him happy?

I have just got a big bale of haylage to make sure he gets enough fibre, his snackaball, a horselyx to hang up but are there any non-food things he might enjoy - or any more food ones tbh? Would a radio on be good?

patchandloopy

Visit site
I used a swede while nigel was on box rest and threaded some baler twine down the middle-a spoon or knife noramlly does the trick to get a hole through it, nigel demolished his in an afternoon but they were cheap and kept him occupied!

What has Bomber done?

patchandloopy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Swede on a rope, will keep him occupied - especially if hung away from walls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snap!! LOL!
grin.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
A radio always seems to help, though choose your station carefully!
Those ice lollies cheer them up no end, and if you have a snackball, change what goes in it every day.
The secret seems to be what they can see from their stable, if they can see something happening they cope better, we move diamond from a day to a night stable, as that seems to break her day up too.
If you have any fresh grass, picking some by hand is a real treat for him.

parsley

Visit site
Oh yes! - I remember your recipie for ice lollies! I usually listen to radio 4
blush.gif
- will that be OK.

Unfortunatly he can't see a lot of activity from where he is but he can see the other horses. His normal pen is the other part of the barn so not much view change.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
The best thing I can suggest (I take it you are on a DIY yard?) is - if you could go at differnt times to other people it will break up his day - ie - my horse is on livery - so she gets "done" first thing on a morning by YO - then first thing til mid-day a lot of livery people come onto the yard - so there's lots going on - I found that between lunch time and tea time nothing happened on the yard - so I chose to go early-mid afternoon - which broke H's day up and gave her something to look forward to - does that make sense? If you can break up his day as much as possible -by feeds/visits/grooming sessions etc - it will make a whole load of difference to him!
He's lucky that he's got a mum like you who's concerned about his welfare!
Kate x

parsley

Visit site
Yes - you're right about "visiting times" I have noticed its very quiet early afternoon. The YO has said if I want to I can leave some haylage out for him in the morning so I could do that.

pottamus

Visit site
Already lots of suggestions, but just try to visit him as many times as possible for a bit of company and a brush etc. Radio 2 is quite good as you get Steve Wright and Chris Evans in the afternoon/early eve...both very lively and good variety of music!!!!!! LOL!
Also going for the swede idea...although my horse was none plussed by it, which is unusual because he is a ganit!