Box rested horse and in hand walking - help!

Eggshells

Visit site
Eggs has done his supsensory ligaments in both hind legs. He has been on box rest for 2 weeks now (off work for 2 week prior to take waiting diagnosis) and he is actually coping remarkably well. He does get worked up and weaves and box walks some of the time, but luckily he shares his stable block with some horses that are in during the day and others that are in a night so he usually has company which helps keep him chilled. He is on chaff and a handful of balancer with his bute twice daily and is on well soaked hay.

The main problem I am having is doing our walking in hand. He is being walked twice a day (up to 20 mins now), I started off walking around the yard and down the tracks round the fields but have resorted for safeties sake to walking in the indoor school (where he behaves). I have been trying very hard to let him graze for at least 20 mins afterwards although he is no longer settling to graze and leaps about even when presented with the tastiest verges to munch on. He gets a new load of (soaked) hay before going out and I muck out while he eats it so I know he isn't ravenous when I take him out.

Difficulties mainly arise if he wants to get at the grass and I don't let him, or when I am taking him away from the grass and back to the stable: he will start leaping, bucking, squealing and will eventually just take off (which so far has only happened once). I am worried that he will start doing this being lead to and from the school.

I lead him in a head slip with lozenge snaffle and lunge line attached to one of those things that clip onto the bit rings. I keep the line loose unless he is prancing in which case I take a contact, bring him back to walk and release the contact again. When he is naughty I try to stay calm and ignore him, but I do verbally tell him off if he continues to prat around which sometimes works but doesn't result in prolonged good behaviour. I have tried smacking him (which was an error and only made things worse). Prior to box rest he was fairly good to lead. He is a horse that will shy at things and we had some bad behaviour early on, but nothing like the temper tantrums now being thrown.

Basically he is fed up, I am fed up and I am looking for some advice on how to help him calm down and make this easier for the two of us. Is this just a stage of getting used to box rest? Will he settle back down? I know I am part of the problem, but I'm afraid he is stuck with me so we just have to make this work.

The end is nowhere near in sight (when I asked to vet her response was 'we'll see how the next month or two go') and I am feeling really down as I can't see this getting any easier.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I understand your pain ! my lad did 11 months in the box and the hand walking was interesting.

I used acp to keep both of us safe.

Buds_mum

Visit site
Hi :)

The only way I could safely 'walk' my horse last was on long lines, full tack, saddle, bridle and all togged up and off we went. It was the only way I could keep hold of 16hh of box rested cob!!

I think it helped him go into work 'mode' as well. I then like you are, let him graze afterwards. After he had had his allotted time eating the verge I would give him a super tasty treat i.e. apple or polos and take him back. Bribery ;) He then got his 'feed' (ie sloppy fast fiber and hi fi).

Whole process about an hour 3 x a day. But he did stay pretty sane, especially since his walks meant he could go somewhere more interesting than round in circles. I was also lucky roping in my mum, bf or y/o to come with me when I long lined him out.

It does end. Promise!!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Unless you own a saint I have found the only safe way to walk a long term box rest horse is with 2 people, one each side with a lunge line. That way you each control your side from going towards the other. You can then be more relaxed.

I also spend a lot of time outside the stable, as you say grazing, but also just hanging, having a change of scene. I also like different stables for night and day. I also like little puzzles to do, like step one foot on a doormat etc etc. Keep the brain active and keep the horse answering your little requests.

Arniebear

Visit site
I completely feel your pain sorry its not better news re the injury, my guy has just come off box rest and the way i dealt with his handwalking was to move him into livery with a walker! 16.3hh of a pent up eventing fit 5yr old warmblood Vs a 5ft4 person... it was only ever going to end one way! And for his safety it was the best thing i could do, he coped remarkable well in the end and is currently enjoying his field rest. Try some sedalin, hope he begins to settle for you :)

glinda

Visit site
Mine was on strict box rest for 6 months before I was allowed to start walking him out (only in straight lines!!!! and thats not easy)
I used a small dose of sedalin for the first couple of weeks until he got used to the routine and calmed down- I also walked him in his control halter that he has previously been taught to walk calmly in…. that helped.
Once he got used to the routine he did calm down….

Wear gloves and a hat at all times

Even with the sedalin he still has his moments but it has got better-

I also use a day and night stable to give him a change of scene….

We are 8 months in at the moment and still lame…. just wish there was an end in sight

Good luck

TeamChaser

Visit site
My TB had same injury, hind leg suspensory, few years ago. He became difficult so after first couple weeks vet told me to get on to walk him out rather then risk getting flattened! I only weigh 8st so not very heavy. He did then take off with me though and galloped across the field ... that was not in the plan ... but thankfully no harm done (his injury was thankfully relatively minor)!

Anyway vet then recommended a calmer Equistro Equalizer and that really worked for him

Good luck - box rest is a pain for all concerned, I feel for you!

Eggshells

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies - I'm feeling better this evening. He'd been an eejit this morning and I was dreading going up to do him this afternoon when I wrote the above. Ho Humm. Definite waves and troughs of feeling able to cope - tonight I am positive!

I understand your pain ! my lad did 11 months in the box and the hand walking was interesting.

I used acp to keep both of us safe.

11 months? Gosh! I'll stop complaining. Was that your old show horse? (yes, closet Ted, Alice et al. fan!)

People have suggested sedatives, and it certainly is a rout I am willing to go down if needs be, but the idea of sedating twice a day for weeks or even months seems rather extreme at this point! I'm thinking about using a calmer as a first option. Someone was on the forum earlier raving about DeFUSE so thought I might start him on that if I can get hold of some.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A calmer wont do much sedalin is really the only way, you often only need a few ml a day to just take the edge off then as time goes on you might not even need that much.

Kick On

Visit site
omg I feel for you, does horse have company during day time? when mine was on box rest 6months - we ended up with Shetland pony in secure pen outside his stable to help. 2 walk out per day, twice daily cut grass (long bit) in stable after walk, acp 6 tabs per day at one point it did go up to 10 (with vet permission)
I hope it gets easier atleast summer is on its way xxx

Eggshells

Visit site
Hi :)

The only way I could safely 'walk' my horse last was on long lines, full tack, saddle, bridle and all togged up and off we went. It was the only way I could keep hold of 16hh of box rested cob!!

I think it helped him go into work 'mode' as well. I then like you are, let him graze afterwards. After he had had his allotted time eating the verge I would give him a super tasty treat i.e. apple or polos and take him back. Bribery ;) He then got his 'feed' (ie sloppy fast fiber and hi fi).

Whole process about an hour 3 x a day. But he did stay pretty sane, especially since his walks meant he could go somewhere more interesting than round in circles. I was also lucky roping in my mum, bf or y/o to come with me when I long lined him out.

It does end. Promise!!!

Unless you own a saint I have found the only safe way to walk a long term box rest horse is with 2 people, one each side with a lunge line. That way you each control your side from going towards the other. You can then be more relaxed.

I also spend a lot of time outside the stable, as you say grazing, but also just hanging, having a change of scene. I also like different stables for night and day. I also like little puzzles to do, like step one foot on a doormat etc etc. Keep the brain active and keep the horse answering your little requests.

Mmm, this one is 17h of chunky WBx! Fun! Not thought about long lining, not done it much myself - how do you cope if they spin?

When this first started I tried to take him round the fields in a mini in-hand hack, but he was a delinquent as soon as he was away from the grazing fields and I soon gave up! I then kept to the grazing field paths, and then the yard and now the ring! Ho humm. I am happy to keep walking him round the ring as at the moment it seems the safest and the is no temptation to bad behaviour form tasty cow parsley waving at him! I have also taken to walking dressage tests with him and doing lost of stopping and starting. May well also use your suggestion Red and play some games.

I am just really wanting him to be able to spend time outside. Days off it is easier, but when you are tacking mucking out, walking, grazing, sorting soaked hay (which take a surprisingly long time to do!) etc etc before and after an 8hr work day: time to cope with difficulties is low and just fitting everything you NEED to do in can be a struggle.

Eggshells

Visit site
I completely feel your pain sorry its not better news re the injury, my guy has just come off box rest and the way i dealt with his handwalking was to move him into livery with a walker! 16.3hh of a pent up eventing fit 5yr old warmblood Vs a 5ft4 person... it was only ever going to end one way! And for his safety it was the best thing i could do, he coped remarkable well in the end and is currently enjoying his field rest. Try some sedalin, hope he begins to settle for you :)

I do spend a lot of time dreaming of a horse walker! However I love my current yard and would be very reluctant to move.. but ask me again in a couple of weeks ;-)

Mine was on strict box rest for 6 months before I was allowed to start walking him out (only in straight lines!!!! and thats not easy)
I used a small dose of sedalin for the first couple of weeks until he got used to the routine and calmed down- I also walked him in his control halter that he has previously been taught to walk calmly in…. that helped.
Once he got used to the routine he did calm down….

Wear gloves and a hat at all times

Even with the sedalin he still has his moments but it has got better-

I also use a day and night stable to give him a change of scene….

We are 8 months in at the moment and still lame…. just wish there was an end in sight

Good luck

Oh goodness, fingers crossed for you both. Do hope he comes sound soon. Hat, gloves and steel toecaps are worn! Even thinking of adding body protector to the mix!

Eggshells

Visit site
My TB had same injury, hind leg suspensory, few years ago. He became difficult so after first couple weeks vet told me to get on to walk him out rather then risk getting flattened! I only weigh 8st so not very heavy. He did then take off with me though and galloped across the field ... that was not in the plan ... but thankfully no harm done (his injury was thankfully relatively minor)!

Anyway vet then recommended a calmer Equistro Equalizer and that really worked for him

Good luck - box rest is a pain for all concerned, I feel for you!

Good to hear of one that came right! May I ask how long the process took? As for the taking off across the field - my thoughts as I saw his retreating arse galloping off was 'well that is a weeks box rest wasted!'.

Last edited:

Buds_mum

Visit site
Hi eggshells re the spinning on long lines if you are long lining correctly it should be near impossible for them to spin.
However if you haven't done it much then maybe now isn't the best time but it's a very useful tool to work them with. Having two people is best.

Hope he was better this aft for you x

mandyroberts

Visit site
Vast quantities of Sedalin - my 15.2hh boy was up to 14mg/per day after 3 weeks when fortunately for no apparent reason he went sound. He was then turned out for 6 weeks over night and within 3 days he only needed 3mg and week 2 nothing. It all depends on your horse. I have realized that my horse simply could not cope with long term box rest

Booboos

Visit site
Sedalne is the best option here and you may find that in a few weeks' time you are allowed to do more with him by the vet and that takes the edge off.

The other thing to try, if he is that food oriented, is to distract him with some grass pellets fed in hand as you walk to and from the school - you might need two people, one person feeding and one person concentrating on holding him in case things go wrong.

cob&onion

Visit site
I feel your pain! my cob was in for 4 months all in all (stifle injury and surgery) during the very last period of her being in (the lat few days) she got very dangerous and actually ended up kicking me, she was fine to start with so i didnt need the sedalin as the grass was enough it was the last few days! She would run round in circles on the end of my (luckily) extra long rope!
Prior to this period of 6 week box rest i used sedalin and it really made a difference.

twiggy2

Visit site
they all vary,
we have one at work that you cannot allow to graze in hand ever as she then has a hissy fit about being asked to leave the all you can eat grass snack bar-she will rear and kick if you walk her on grass as she just wants to stop and eat, if you walk her in the manege she has random tigger moments as and when she feels like it with no warning-this mare is 12yrs and lazy as you like under sadddle-the only safe place to walk her is on the roads where she is as good as gold, she is always quiet in the stable on box rest but will kick when not in work so you have to watch her.

another
is 6yrs really really fizzy under saddle, squeals, bucks and rears in the stable when on box rest, you could however walk her anywhere on any surface an a piece of cotton whilst rested, you can graze her with no problem too, she too jumps out over the 5ft plus fences but not for food but when she gets excited.

i have dealt with others that you cannot walk out in hand as every day every time it is dangerous so have approached my vet and we have created about 10 small (14x14ft) turn out areas with long grass (nice and close to the stables) and put in there 2 or 3 times daily (with hay and high fibre cubes spread out when needed to keep them busy) if they have coped with this and the weather allows then they were turned out all day.

i have also worked with others that sedation makes them worse (my mares dam was one of these) and they would just explode out of sedation with no warning but the control over their own body can be rather lacking and make things far worse. others that sedation is like a magical potion and makes them calm and compliant. some that restricted turnout just makes them patrol the boundaries at speed.

my daughters mare was an insurance write off after doing both hind suspensories, the owners at the time did everything that the vet advised done to different therapies even hydrotherapy, when after 18 months she had not come right she was gifted back to her previous owners who turned her out for 14 months at the end of which she was sound and went on to compete again at novice level eventing and jumping 3ft 6 courses regularly.
when following the vets advice to the letter the owners had been turning out for an hour a day (when ready) and the mare was just exploding everytime she went out, they never discussed this with the vet as an issue so the vet never had the chance to say chuck her out if is she is quiet when left to it.

you know your horse best and are the one that feeds back to the vet if you are having problems let them know and they may alter the treatment programme, horses are like kids they did not read the manual on how they should behave.

sorry for the essay but hope it gives you some ideas

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Been through this a few times with two thoroughbreds, what seems to work best is keeping them moving briskly so they don't have a chance to think about messing around however I will use acp if I need to.

They seem to be better going up and down the drive than in the school

One word of warning about horsewalkers, check with your vet first as many injuries will not be helped by the constant turning that this involves.

glinda

Visit site
One word of warning about horsewalkers, check with your vet first as many injuries will not be helped by the constant turning that this involves.

Very good point….. a lot of injuries could be made worse by moving on a constant circle….. same for lunging etc

My boy is only allowed to walk in straight lines- the horse walker would be really bad for him…. though I do have one and it would make so much easier…. arghhhhhhh

It is great for my arthritics though- to keep them moving gently

Eggshells

Visit site
Thanks again for your replies and suggestions. I think he must have heard me muttering about glue factories and dog food yesterday and this morning he was a paragon. I did a few things differently, but no idea if they helped or he simple got the high jinx out of his system yesterday.

Things I changed -
1) I didn't let him get bored of his hay and start to weave at the door to go out before taking him out
2) Never took a contact when leaving the school and going to the grass and let him graze at the first patch he came too so there was never an argument about walking on and not snatching (I had been walking him further to get him out of the main thoroughfare but as I was a touch earlier today the crowds hadn't descended)
3) Had a store of carrots in my pocket and when I needed to turn him away from the grass I waved one in front of him a la carrot on a stick and we got home without any arguments!

All in all 20 mins walking, 30 mins grazing, only 2 very minor spooks (one when he electrocuted himself on the fence silly sod) and a chilled horse back in his stable after. Success. Long may this last!!

Re the horse walker - we don't have one and I don't lunge him, I walk with him round the outside of our fairly decently sized school so circles aren't an issue! Just wishful thinking of how much easier it would be.

Oh and after having Eggs for nearly 11 months and never finding his 'wobble' spot I found it today - I was picking some scuff off his belly button and in front of his bits and looked up to see this look of pure bliss on his face and his lips a-wobbling! So there you go.. strange animal.