Boy bunny neutering

BlackRider

Visit site
Pippin is booked in for his op soon (he's 6 months old now) I've got a few questions - if anyone can help please?

He has a 2 storey hutch - is this ok or should he be on one level? (there is a 3 inch drop from the hutch into the run too).

I've been asked to take a packed lunch for him - he loves kale and carrots - but don't image the vets would want to mess around putting things in the fridge so guessing this is non chilled items?

Anything else I need to be aware of? thanks :)

fiwen30

Visit site
It’s better if they can move around after, rather than being contained.

For his packed lunch, I would include any of his regular nuggets, a large handful of his hay (some rabbits can be picky!), and some greens (maybe in a cooler bag with some ice packs?). I also sent in some Fibre First sticks which mine liked to munch on if they weren’t feeling well enough for hay.

I’m sure you already know not to starve him before the op - it’s important that they always have food in their gut - and to ask for additional pain meds for the next few days when he comes home, as he may stop eating if he’s sore and then you risk stasis and additional vet bills etc.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Ask about giving metacam twice daily after his op if they don't mention it, I had 2 done on Monday and queried the instructions on their meds. They said studies show that with rabbits a smaller dose more often gives more effective pain relief so that's how they're doing it from now on. I sent pellets and grass with my two.

BlackRider

Visit site
Ask about giving metacam twice daily after his op if they don't mention it, I had 2 done on Monday and queried the instructions on their meds. They said studies show that with rabbits a smaller dose more often gives more effective pain relief so that's how they're doing it from now on. I sent pellets and grass with my two.
Thank you - hope yours are recovering well.