boys riding

haycroft

Visit site
how many of you have young sons that ride or interested in ponies...
i find it really hard to find things/clothing for my son age 7 as its more of a girly sport.. pink and lilac
BUT alot of the top riders/jockeys are men ,so they had at start somewhere

bradley (posted in gallery) loves his riding ..little and often and still on LR but can ride indepentantly in a inclose area

post pics if you like

Kat

Visit site
My nephew who is eight has riding lessons, he's just about mastered rising trot and is building up to coming off the lead rein (rides without the leader in walk but not trot atm)

There are a fair few boys at the riding school from the little ones in lead rein lessons to teenagers and adults so he doesn't feel the odd one out. My husband rides so it seems pretty normal to my nephew I guess. In our group lesson at the moment we have three "boys" one doing GCSEs one doing A-Levels and my husband. There have been a few men/boys working at the yard and with horses on livery too.

siennamum

Visit site
Both of mine loved local shows and the PC when they were little. Charlie gave up a couple of years ago (when he was 10) but Will really loves riding. He is useless at stable management and expects to just get on and compete, but I enjoy watching him so just live with it.
I can't remember having any particular problems finding kit when they were younger, though I do have big issues now with the cost of replacing outgrown boots, hats, jackets and horses!!!!

Then:
WillSparky.jpg

& now:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4240292&l=0c20630f6b&id=535976198

Charlie:
charlieMilly.jpg

& just for a laugh, my brother in the mid 70's.(note the lack of a BP!)
JohnBrandy.jpg

Kat

Visit site
Ah bless, love the leadrein picture - I'm desparate to get Ben out to a show this summer!

Kit wise he just has beige jodhs and black boots so it doesn't matter if they are girls or boys (he'll be wearing his mum's boots before long....) he borrows a hat from the riding school at the moment as we didn't want to spend too much until we were sure he'd continue, everything so far has been from e-bay!

legaldancer

Visit site
My little boy rides, he's 9 & enjoys PC & little shows. My other sons, 14 & 11 aren't interested at all despite my best attempts!

Youngest son has just outgrown first pony & gone onto a 13.2hh. He doesn't get involved in the general day to day chores, but is a mean yard sweeper! I'd rather not nag him to help or I think he'd probably give up & I enjoy doing the ponies, so don't mind too much.

Boy's riding clothes aren't very exciting. He has a black & a beige pair of jods & a tweed jacket for PC. My local tack shop does stock some boy's jods with a pleated front, but they're more expensive & he's fine in the unisex ones. The Joules polo tops are great for boys though.

I expect he'll give up eventually as he's not as dedicated as I was & doesn't want to spend every waking hour down at the yard. There are quite a few boys in our branch of the PC, but they're thinner on the ground as they get older.

siennamum

Visit site
My little boy rides, he's 9 & enjoys PC & little shows. My other sons, 14 & 11 aren't interested at all despite my best attempts!

Youngest son has just outgrown first pony & gone onto a 13.2hh. He doesn't get involved in the general day to day chores, but is a mean yard sweeper! I'd rather not nag him to help or I think he'd probably give up & I enjoy doing the ponies, so don't mind too much.

Boy's riding clothes aren't very exciting. He has a black & a beige pair of jods & a tweed jacket for PC. My local tack shop does stock some boy's jods with a pleated front, but they're more expensive & he's fine in the unisex ones. The Joules polo tops are great for boys though.

I expect he'll give up eventually as he's not as dedicated as I was & doesn't want to spend every waking hour down at the yard. There are quite a few boys in our branch of the PC, but they're thinner on the ground as they get older.

I think boys do come back to riding when they stop being teenagers tbh. Problem my son will have is that he's over 6ft and a very keen rugby player, I think he'll have to make a choice.....

Firehorse

Visit site
my boys ride, my 11 yr old more than my 7 yr old. i got a pair of navy jodhs from ebay, but i know what u mean about pink stuff! and its not just in the horse world. just walk into any shop and its dominated by girls clothing. boy like nice clothes too and my eldest is always complaining at the lack of choice. i went into tesco and marks for a lightweight summer jacket and all they had was a fold away rain coat, yet rails and rails full of girls stuff :-(

aramis

Visit site
:mad: grrr, it annoys me and my mum how everything is pink and purple with the horse market being dominated by girlie stuff, despite the fact loads of lads ride!!
Like in a catalogue there may be 25 types of jods for girls and then 5 or 10 at the most for boys:eek:!!

haycroft

Visit site
My son started at age 7 and still rides now - hes a great little rider (if I don't say so myself), this is him on his second horse, started on a 13.2hh new forest pony,

001-4.jpg

WOW very smart both of them,and other pics are great
thanks for the replies
i did think of him joining the PC but i dont have a trailer to take him with his pony and many of said he gets abit bored with stable duties,but will sweep up abit
But he does other things aswell,footy,beavers,and typical boy activities..i hoping he'l stick with it my other two boys had the choice to ride but done other things
maybe i should of had a girl !!!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Mine are 1 & 3 (well 3 next week) & both have a pony, Atm they ride in jeans & wellies, although the eldest does have a pair of navy & lilac checked jods, (very girly)

its really hard to find stuff for thier ponies that is boyish, we have got through endless pink & purple trimmed fly rugs (pony wrecks them) can i find blue trimmed ones....not that i look very hard, the shetland even has a Pink checked Fal turnout as it was cheap!

i'm hoping they carry on riding, they are both very keen at the moment, and treat thier ponies like over grown dogs, i'm thinking i might take them out to a show or something over the summer, but have yet to find jackets small enough (esp for no2 son), but i don't want to make it boring or a hastle for them, so have avoided too much need for the 'right kit'

(my sister & i mainly rode in dresses when we were little, so it may be a family thing!)

picture.php

perfect11s

Visit site
I was forced to learn to ride as a pre teen as mum and sister went to the local riding school for their weekly lesson I hated it!! then it was motor bikes and sister lost intrest in ponys so never gave it much thourght untill my late 20s when i had horsey girlfriend and then a little later I went traveling and rode a little when I was in NZ never realy have more than a passing interest, haveing the odd halfhearted riding lesson, until I discovered western riding then well for guy or a girl gone is all the horrible old fasioned clothes the tweed jackets the (horrible ugly on a guy breeches)
and in is comfy jeans, chaps and nice shirts, boots etc and you can look like a man with a mission , then there is the fantastic well schooled western horses and a realy horse repecting way of riding and training, I was amazed at the first big show how all the horses were being ridden so nicely ... there is a wide choice of show classes and a very friendly group of enthusiastic people of all ages and genders ... go guys show these girls how to ride......

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Friends two little boys (11 and 7) have just started to learn to ride,on a beautiful 14hh native type mare, who is living at ours. They are also borrowing another friends shetland. Both boys will be attending the RC Fun Show this W/E, in hand and fancy dress :D
The older one has sussed out how useful a skill riding is going to be to him, when discussing football with the salesman when buying footie boots, on being told that football can ruin relationships, he said "I don't think that will be a problem for me, I have a pony" We all collapsed laughing when his mum told us. :D :D :D :D

Sirreal

Visit site
My boyfriend started riding aged 17 last year on my 13.2hh! He's bought all of his stuff on ebay, as he can't find any in local tackshops or catalogues, and mens riding clothes do tend to be overpriced. He's still riding Mouse now, and is looking for a horse to loan (he's desperate to have a go at showjumping). His friends all laugh at him, but he doesn't care, he's still up at the yard every night mucking out while I ride!

beckiebeckyboo

Visit site
my sons 13 and has been riding since he was 8 and the lack of boys riding clothes is awful. wasnt so bad when he was 8 as unisex stuff was fine but as hes getting older its harder hes quite a big 13 year old, size 9 feet!!! so mens stuff is now fitting him, but how expensive for decent stuff when hes going to outgrow it in 12 months!!!

cindars

Visit site
Don't have children myself but locally four little b oys have just started riding and love it, don't Robinsons do boys stuff?

Ponyfeet

Visit site
I have seen a few bits for boys like Equetech boys casual breeches, polo tops by various brands. Apart from that I think most riding stuff is uni-sex. The boys I see at where I ride wear the casual breeches and when they hit about 15/16, Mountain Horse I think. I did see one wearing a pink body protecter, very nice!

hessy12

Visit site
My two boys ride and their first pony is arriving on friday, so very exciting. The only jods i have found are blue but one does have a flower on.... I know what you mean about dominance of pink. we buy second hand from local tack shop and there are navy etc there for the lads.

blueneonrainbow

Visit site
when I was a child learning to ride, there wasnt any of the pink rubbish you see these days. maybe the odd pink hat silk but thats it. I know people can wear what they want and dress their ponies in what they want but the abundance of pink stuff annoys me, as well as the glittery browbands and glittery hoof oil and stuff. boys and girls used to wear black, navy, beige, white yellow etc jodhs and any colour hat silk when i learnt to ride, and body protectors were a neutral grey, blue or black, as most are now. there are boys riding, i watched a lesson at the RS i go to and there were about 6 children, four were boys and two girls.