Boys who ride

slumdog

Visit site
My son is nearly 8 and is having weekly riding lessons, currently he rides in wellies and tracky bottoms or jeans because I didn't want to buy him all the gear for him not to enjoy it.
He has had a few lessons now and has just been moved up to an off lead lesson and had his first canter. The girls that are in his new class are a bit older and have proper riding boots and jods, so I want to get James some proper stuff but I don't know what boys wear? There's loads of nice girls stuff and not a lot for boys!

Spiritedly

Visit site
My sons wear trackies or jeans mainly, the younger one wears dark ...blue or black....jodphurs as well. Both have jodphur boots and half chaps.

kinskycookie

Visit site
I have the same problem. My 10yr old son enjoys riding, doesn't like tracksuit bottoms and insists on wearing 'proper riding trousers' to ride. I have found it impossible to find 'boys' jods for this age group. He is currently wearing age 14 black or beige plain ones but they are clearly designed to be tight fitting for girls and despite going up a few sizes are clearly still a little snug round his middle and bottom :eek: (and miles too long in the leg!)

Sorry, this reply is of no help to you but if anyone knows of any i'd be interested too!

maree t

Visit site
Hi my son wore kods until he was twelve. he then realised that they looked like budgie smugglers and I started buying him breeches. he only wears them for lessons and competitions and wears trackies the rest of the time. He is 16 next month

slumdog

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I'll go and have a look, it doesn't help that he weighs about 3 stone wet through so any sort of tight jodhpurs would just make him look like a sparrow lol! Plus when I originally rang them to book his first lesson she asked how old 'she' was! It doesn't do a lot for boys wanting to ride!

russianhorse

Visit site
All my boys wear jogging bottoms and mucker boots :) I've got some black jodhpurs but they were mortified when I got them out the bag ( with the exception of the 4 yo who doesn't care lol )

RainbowDash

Visit site
Most of the boys/young men (8-17) who ride at our yard (also RS) wear jeans or joggers with jod boots and half chaps or muckers/riding wellies - the older guys with their own horses wouldnt been seen out without their breeches :).

legaldancer

Visit site
My lanky 12 year old son who weighs about 5.5 stone wears jods but he will only wear cotton stretch ones, not nylon. I haven't given him the option of trackies.

The only ones that fit him well and look the part are Rhinegold. They do a really nice masculine colour called Mink (a dark beigey coffee colour) besides navy and black. Dublin aren't a bad fit on him either.

I expect he will want to wear male jods/breeches in another couple of years but they are comparatively expensive.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My stepson wore girls jods from the ages of 7-14 too. He was a scrawny little thing, so they were always a bit baggy on him anyway. Now he is 15 he usually wears jeans to ride. We haven't got round to buying him proper show stuff again yet as everything was cancelled last year that he was able to go to, and he has grown unbelieveably in the last 12 months!

slumdog

Visit site
Thanks everyone, think ill go to sports direct and get some cheap trackies and have a look at the shops mentioned and get him one pair of breeches. Do you think short boots with chaps would be best?