Br careful going through gates (gory pic only open if you have a strong stomach!)

Doublethyme

Visit site
I loathe those self closing gates. We have loads of them on the South downs near us. Should be banned in my opinion. They are just too narrow to get a large horse safely through. Rider on our yard ended up hanging upside caught by her boot on the long handle ones and suspended from her horse who was stuck too. Thankfully he is a sensible chap and just stood till the people with her could help lift her up to free her leg. God knows how but she was fine...could have been awful with a flighty horse. Mine hates them so I mostly get off and on nowadays.

turkana

Visit site
I know this is an old thread but thought I would let you all know that the gate was reported & it has now been removed, so a big thank you to the BHS & the council access officer; I wouldn't have reported it if it hadn't been suggested on here, so well done - you have probably saved another horse rider from injury.
After 8 months out of the saddle I have now started riding again, only walking, with short trots but it's a start. I'm still lame but finally feeling a bit more normal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know this is an old thread but thought I would let you all know that the gate was reported & it has now been removed, so a big thank you to the BHS & the council access officer; I wouldn't have reported it if it hadn't been suggested on here, so well done - you have probably saved another horse rider from injury.
After 8 months out of the saddle I have now started riding again, only walking, with short trots but it's a start. I'm still lame but finally feeling a bit more normal.

That's good news about the gate, 8 months is not really that long when you think how bad your injury was! So glad your finally getting back to riding hopefully the lameness will improve with time, was it mainly muscle and ligament damage I imagine much of the soft tissue must have been torn?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Glad you're on the mend & getting back in the saddle now! That looked horrendous! Good news about the gate too! I'm a gate phobe from an accident years ago so goes right through me.

turkana

Visit site
My leg has still got a long way to go & I'm not sure if it will ever go back to normal. I rode a couple of times in October but had to stop, then tried again at Christmas; I've ridden twice now this month & seem to be managing ok, only walking, with a short trot on Sunday. I have to get off very carefully though & I'm paranoid about knocking it, I've now got an impresive scar.
I very pleased to be able to get out & about a bit more, I didn't cope well with box rest!

Landcruiser

Visit site
OP, did you ever think about a damages claim? You were seriously injured, and they have accepted liability by changing the gate (clearly they are liable, as is anyone who puts a self closing gate or otherwise dangerous on a bridleway.).
Too many riders and horses get these sorts of injuries - there's been a horse with a horrible injury doing the rounds of FB these last few days. And a friend of mine had a similar injury a couple of years ago. I know they are short staffed and skint but the ROW departments need to prioritise this, as it's about health and safety. A few damages actions would help galvanise them I expect.