Bracing myself for mud fever season..

jen_c

New User
Visit site
Hi there! Having tried absolutely everything I could last year I just couldn't get my horses' mud fever under control. Someone has recommended I try the equi-med stable boots. They're expensive but I'm not against giving them a go if they work. Has anyone used or do you know anyone that has? Are they any good?

wildcard

Visit site
I feed both mine as both got white legs MUD GUARD supplement in their feed and found it works a treat!! ive tried EVERYTHING and have found this is the only thing ive seen results with, i use this is conjunction with the MSM cream if they have it very bad to help get it under control!! good luck i feel your pain xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
This time last year we struggled with mud fever for three solid months . . . honestly the only thing that worked to get rid (once it had taken hold) was to keep in (but still work), keep clean, not wash/keep dry and apply flammazine. As for prevention, I make sure I get on top of any small nicks, brushes and cuts as soon as they occur, clean them with diluted hibiscrub, spray with purple spray and then slap sudocrem on top.

I hate mud fever . . . with a passion. Caused me (and Kali) all manner of trouble, not to mention three rounds of antibiotics due to cellulitis.

P

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I struggled with mud fever for nearly a year with my mare, had various potions from the vets but I could never get rid of it despite doing my best to eradicate it.

I need to supplement her for her feet, which tend to crack, and when I changed her from Formula 4 Feet to Pro Hoof the mud fever cleared up naturally by itself with no other change in management. I'm no expert, but maybe cracked feet and tendency to mud fever may be linked to some dietary deficiency in some cases? It's been several months and it hasn't returned even in the current wet spell.

claribella

Visit site
Feed graphites. You can get them in 30c tablets on eBay. One in the morning and evening. I forgot to feed then last year and my mare got a bit of mud fever. Then I remembered I'd not fed them. Put her on them and it cleared up within a week.

Dreckly

Visit site
After trying loads of lotions and potions last year to treat my boys MF I decided to give the equi-med boots a go. All I can say is they worked for me. I bring him him, hose of mud with cold water, towel dry the legs and put the boots on overnight. He has nothing put on his legs when out. Within a week it had cleared up. We had the occasional scab appear but go within days. Absolutely brilliant investment. If you do get some remember absolutely NEVER wash them in normal washing powder, you have to use soda crystals to conserve the active silver ingredient. There are other similar boots on the market that are cheaper, but having looked at a couple nothing compares to the fit of the equi-med and the area of leg they cover.

Piglet

Visit site
Am lucky, I don't get much mud fever but last year my horse would stand around in the mud bath waiting to come in, I used to lather his legs in baby oil, it worked really well and it was cheap. I don't know if it would work on all conditions

fuzzle

Visit site
Cow Slarve (cow udder cream) its amazing!!!! plaster it on DRY legs twice a week. Its a bit like vasaline!! not expensive at all and its good on your own hands, healed my hands up within days when they became chapped and sore!! A big tub is not expensive at all, you can also use it on the heels and i put it on the hooves stops them from cracking if they become dry xxx

Reevesy

New User
Visit site
Anyone tried Aromaheel?? As with my lad Ive tried everything!! Ive had a nice bill from the vets and still battling it out. Dont get me wrong.. it has improved massively in the time ive had him back from loan (6 weeks ish)..however his back leg is still being abit of a sod to clear.
Ive tried it all.. Pig oil and sulphur, Hibi scrub, Sudocrem, Flamazine, Betnovate, Intrasite Gel, Dermisol.. you name it!!
Ive ordered this Aromaheel as Its supposed to be the "Magic" stuff and my last resort really!!

Billabongchick

Visit site
Equimed boots are AMAZING if you are trying to clear up an existent problem. I swear by mine as had a horrendous winter with my mare til I got the Equimeds. I also think prevention is better than cure so mine is always in full length mud chaps when out.