BRC Area Dressage Qualifier Report

lottiepony

Visit site
This is real life folks, always happy to report the good, the bad and the ugly...

10 months ago we attended this same qualifier. We only managed our intro test on the basis death felt a little too close for comfort and I do take the opinion of quitting whilst ahead...

Roll on Sunday for attempt number 2! 2 classes entered, the intro and a prelim. I had in my head the intro was a pure warm up class (we've being doing prelim all year and improving so whilst a bit below our level I would say, I felt it was a good action plan)
I was nervous, no 2 ways about it. Even though we've done an area festival and associated champs this one was getting to me. I think mainly as last time the warm up felt crowded and it's right next to the lorry park and my chap is a bit of a titwit when it comes to noises from trailers and lorries.
Anyhoo he was super chill to tack up walk about etc. I got on but clearly the butt cheeks where the give away I was nervous and up his back went - a horrid horrid feeling.
Deep breath and into the warm up, was quieter than last time so that was good. I got trotting pretty quick but he was tense and what I've discovered is that when he's tense and a bit bouncy I lose the ability to really tell if he is actually going forwards - and that apparently is quite key lol.
I attempted one canter which was an out and out disaster. I'm sure onlookers would think he must be completely broken and in so much pain given the way he bronc'd and changed legs behind etc. But into the intro we went which was indoors. The longer the test went on the spookier he got, not entirely sure we were even on the outside track as he was too busy trying to duck away from each letter. We did do a lovely square halt to finish so onwards and upwards. Bagged ourselves last place which was in fact 6th lol so thats a rosette I won't forget the story behind!
Back to the warm up to prep for our prelim test.
After a few more shocking attempts we did manage to remember how to canter like a semi normal horse. Despite my dear friend telling me to send him forwards we were still mincing about too much when I look back at the video snipets we got. I did eventually start to man up and take charge and of course the work improved.
The arena for the prelim was part of the large warm up arena so right next door so to speak. I knew it might be a struggle as he needed a person to walk through the gap of the white boards first before he could actually get in the arena. Then of course every white board was scary so our test was another spooky, tense mess. However the positive was we did manage to muster up a but more forwardness and his canter transitions were ok! Just one buck on one downwards trans from canter to trot. Appalling final centre line where he looks like he was going into half pass and then a lovely shoulder in all the way down lol. We scored an impressive 56%, lowest score of the day lol.

Chalking this one up to a bad day, onwards and upwards. Unfortunately they don't hold any other BD events at the venue so not an option to go another time to see if we can banish the demons. But looking for our December BD outing so we can put it firmly behind us and get ourselves back on track. I know for a fact this was down to my nerves, he is annoyingly sensitive and if I'm not 100% he gives me a ride as such. It's a pity he couldn't be a fraction more generous if I'm nervous but maybe that may come with age lol. The other upside is I had something to share on Shitedressage riders
I like to think I made everyone feel better about their horses as I'm pretty sure everyone was saying 'thank god I'm not riding that!' If you were unfortunate enough to be in the warm up with me - apologies!
Photo of our halt from the intro test because it would be rude not to add a photo or 2.
dressage.jpg404667095_10161094922707184_8594574390352786857_n.jpg

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
Well done for seeing it through, it's all too tempting to pack up and call it a day after the first blip but it all goes towards building both of your confidence for the next outing. He is very handsome... and looks very pleased with himself 😄🥰

j1ffy

Visit site
It's a horrid feeling but well done for getting out there - you're one step further than those of us who are still messing about at home and clinics in the knowledge their horse (in my case) will be a tit! Onwards and upwards and focus on the learnings :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well I think that's pretty amazing.

As someone with a young pony who does excitable handstands just going to a clinic with 3 other riders, you are way ahead of us!

Much as we all know it'll get better the more we go, it can be pretty unpleasant while we're gaining experience, so I'm in awe really that you kept going and worked your way through it.

In a years time, you'll be in a completely different place and no doubt have a large haul of rosettes to show for it.

humblepie

Visit site
He looks like butter wouldn't melt in the halt photo. Well done and it is all learning for both of you. Do you think you find it a pressure as it is a riding club qualifier or do you have good support from your riding club helping warm up etc. He is very smart.

lottiepony

Visit site
He looks like butter wouldn't melt in the halt photo. Well done and it is all learning for both of you. Do you think you find it a pressure as it is a riding club qualifier or do you have good support from your riding club helping warm up etc. He is very smart.
I think perhaps I'd added pressure in wanting to better our last attempt, he has been going super and I thought the silly warm up behaviour was well behind us. My friend who came with me is actually also my instructor and she hasn't seen him at a competition since that first qualifier so I wanted her to see how far we'd come at shows (in our lessons at home we've come on in leaps and bounds). My riding club is wonderful and actually there really is no pressure, my team did amazing and came 8th - with no help from me lol!!

He's 9 now but due to a very ropey start he's really only been going under saddle properly for 2 years. We've had an incredible year so absolutely no complaints from me just the usual annoyance with myself that I couldn't quite get the performance required. He is very addictive as when we're on form its amazing so I think that is what keeps me motivated!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I always see posts on Facebook etc that only talk about the good, I think its good to talk about the bad - much more relatable at times!

SEL

Visit site
You make me feel better - acrobatic warm-ups have been our thing this year. Just as he's settled at one location we go two steps back at the next. I'm a bit old for the humpy back nonsense.

Does the venue do anything else at all you could turn up to without worrying about results? Just to get back there and show him it isn't full of monsters?

lottiepony

Visit site
You make me feel better - acrobatic warm-ups have been our thing this year. Just as he's settled at one location we go two steps back at the next. I'm a bit old for the humpy back nonsense.

Does the venue do anything else at all you could turn up to without worrying about results? Just to get back there and show him it isn't full of monsters?
Sadly the only other things I've seen on are indoor carriage driving (do that with the Shetland) or show jumping and that is a defo no! But I will keep an eye open as it would be good to do.

quizzie

Visit site
I think perhaps I'd added pressure in wanting to better our last attempt, he has been going super and I thought the silly warm up behaviour was well behind us. My friend who came with me is actually also my instructor and she hasn't seen him at a competition since that first qualifier so I wanted her to see how far we'd come at shows (in our lessons at home we've come on in leaps and bounds). My riding club is wonderful and actually there really is no pressure, my team did amazing and came 8th - with no help from me lol!!

He's 9 now but due to a very ropey start he's really only been going under saddle properly for 2 years. We've had an incredible year so absolutely no complaints from me just the usual annoyance with myself that I couldn't quite get the performance required. He is very addictive as when we're on form its amazing so I think that is what keeps me motivated!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I always see posts on Facebook etc that only talk about the good, I think its good to talk about the bad - much more relatable at times!

Don't worry and well done.....it happens to us all!

I have a 5yo, who has spent the year behaving as if he is a sweet little 4yo.......until about 4 weeks ago, when he decided to skip the 5yo behaviour and go straight to the 6 yo "Kevins" at a show. In the warm we managed to make another poor rider fall off by spinning at their shadow as they came towards us!. He then came a well-deserved last in our first test with a variety of unrequired movements...... My trainer then turned up to judge the next class, so I warned him he might need to use his full range of marks!!! Of course the dear horse then put his angelic hat back on just to prove me wrong!
...we are heading back to the same venue next week ....keep your fingers crossed!!!

SEL

Visit site
Don't worry and well done.....it happens to us all!

I have a 5yo, who has spent the year behaving as if he is a sweet little 4yo.......until about 4 weeks ago, when he decided to skip the 5yo behaviour and go straight to the 6 yo "Kevins" at a show. In the warm we managed to make another poor rider fall off by spinning at their shadow as they came towards us!. He then came a well-deserved last in our first test with a variety of unrequired movements...... My trainer then turned up to judge the next class, so I warned him he might need to use his full range of marks!!! Of course the dear horse then put his angelic hat back on just to prove me wrong!
...we are heading back to the same venue next week ....keep your fingers crossed!!!
You see I was hoping as we head into his 6th year that Babycob's "Kevin" stage was over.

The one of the local judges told me she thought 7 was even worse with geldings.

quizzie

Visit site
You see I was hoping as we head into his 6th year that Babycob's "Kevin" stage was over.

The one of the local judges told me she thought 7 was even worse with geldings.

I think it all depends on when they start to feel stronger and more confident for those that are trying out the boundaries?

More variable for those where it genuinely comes from "nerves"

I'm hoping mine is getting it out of the way early ( not entirely convinced myself of that!)