Breach birth recipiant mare update

xena_wales

Visit site
Brilliant news!!! So glad they took to each other. I wonder if they know exactly what's happened and that it's not their foal, but they've got such a sense of loss that they're happy to fill it with another foal? Or maybe I'm anthromorph-thingying too much?!
laugh.gif

Springs

Visit site
We suspect that mun know that somthing wasn't up as she kept giving the dead foal a push with her hoof, she stood over the little one for 10 hours befor the orphan arrived.

When it did we sedated her, and then quickly removed the dead foal and put the orphan in the stable next door with a small peap hole at high level we then rubbed the orphan in the placenter from the dead foal, also around the peap hole between the stables. the smell caused jasmin to be intrested in the new arrival, we then proceded to go thorught the suckling routine every two hours, but never letting Jaz any close contact after 16 hours of doing this (every time recovering the orphan in plancenter & liquid) they became dificult to part so we let them get closer together until they were loose in the field. We think that jaz was so upset that she just wanted somthing to mother as she was starting to get very upset before the orphan arrived.

xena_wales

Visit site
That's so lovely
smile.gif
I wonder if my mare had maybe lost a foal before the one she had with me, because when he was lying down, she was forever pawing him to make sure he was still alive, poor lad!!

You must have been absolutely knackered after all that, but hopefully it'll be worth the effort, and your hard work has made your mare happier, and given the little foal a shot at a normal life
laugh.gif

Will be looking out for any updates from you
smile.gif

Diggory

Visit site
Marvellous news - huge congratulations to you for persevering, and giving both of them something to live for. I bet the foal's owners are very relieved too. Best of luck to everyone!

DW Team

Visit site
Thank you for the updates I am so pleased that you have had a good result. Well done for all your hard work.

Springs

Visit site
We would like to say a big thank you to everyone their lovely comments. Also a huge thank you to the NFB, someone posted a reply with their web site link, sorry we didn't do this but we were tied up at the time. They were so helpful and nice so we would urge anyone in breeding to send them a donation as you never know when you will need them. Rainbowrider your comment was so nice, we too are trying to not cry still, but thankfully mum and baby seem happy and that's what kept us going. From Mrs Springs (Juliet)

whitewood

Visit site
A couple of years ago I used the NFB after losing a mare and they helped me out of a seemingly impossible situation. I couldn't have done it without their constant support. If everyone just donated a little, or perhaps had a sponsored class in a local show or anything, bootsale of tack, anything.

Johanna does this all herself personally and she is not as young as she used to be (who is), they need every support they can get and as this forum has illustrated they save lives and help people come together in times of despate need with lost mares and foals.

Please dont just use kind words - do something active to prolong The NFB, at the moment, when Johanna goes I believe so does the NFB and send a donation so she can begin to train her replacement to continue the good work. Or if you breed subscribe on a yearly basis.