Breaking breed stereotypes

nostromo70

Visit site
I think ppl like what they like. I'm not a fan of TB, but not because of their upkeep or their shoe requirements. They just don't do anything for me.
I'm more of a hairy cob man
myself, but i'm sure there's
hundreds if not thousands of ppl out there that can't understand why.

Spring Feather

Visit site
SF, may I ask what the general hoof/weather conditions are like where you live? In general, horses hooves are designed to operate under very dry/hard conditions. The problems arise in wet/probably European areas when hooves soften and then dry out very quickly causing cracks and other problems. It is a management problem for people in wetter climates - but I also think the drier climates have it just that little bit easier ;)
Sure you can :) Our weather is very snowy in the winter. Temperatures range from -40c to -10 for most of the winter. In the spring we have a lot of rain so many farms are seas of mud. My farm is tile drained so even when we get the downpours our ground dries up quickly. Then a few days later we can have +30c temperatures and sunshine, then a few days later back down to 15c and rain. Spring is always temperamental here. And then comes summer. Summer is very hot. Temperatures tend to hang around the +30c most of the time, sometimes higher, sometimes a little lower. The Fall is usually lovely, it's more like a British summer where we have warm/hot days with some rain but often not a lot and sometimes it can go on right through till November time and then boom one day we'll wake up to 2ft of snow and we know winter is a-coming.

So a total mixed bag really where the weather is concerned. It's quite similar to the UK in spring and fall, but our summers and winters are far more extreme.

No I think the biggest difference here compared to the UK is that people here just don't ever shoe their horses. No 3 or 4 year olds are ever started with shoes on around where I live. It just doesn't occur to most people to do that even when their horses are just being started and doing a fair amount more work. I also think that is why, even though a great many horses are backed at 2 years old over here, you still see loads and loads of horses in their late 20s and 30s competing or doing big trail rides on a regular basis. We just don't seem to have the lameness issues that you have in the UK and I'm positive now that it is because the vast majority of owners just do not ever shoe their horses.

Pigeon

Visit site
I have a quirky Appy who will turn his hoof to anything (be it Dressage, Hunting, Show Jumping, Endurance and anything in between!) He is a real character and very affectionate. :) He is very sensitive but has a heart of gold and is definitely a one person horse. :)

He's wonderful!!! Looks so much like my old boy, they have the most expressive faces!

cambrica

Visit site
I have a welsh section D who is an absolute saint.

I have one of those apparently rare beasts:D

One day, without asking him or any encouragement he decided to stand on the mounting block! Not sure why but if its in the yard he will always head straight for it.
He isn't spooky, bargy or hot headed and when you whisper 'Cariad' which is Welsh for 'my little darling' he closes his eyes and goes all gooey!

mounting_zps1bf239c3.jpg
[/URL]

cambrica

Visit site
That's honestly the cutest thing!! If I ever have a welshie I'm naming him Cariad :D

Well thats thanks to my nan who's getting on for 90! She grew up in Wrexham and her grandfather used to call her Cariad. It is so sweet and my boy really responds to it. :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
My trad cleared the 5 bar gate.. Ok so loose and no one on her and did so without asking!

My highland has had the unfortunate habit of hopping over my fencing (4'6) since he was a yearling :eek:

I don't understand this whole 'cobs can't jump' thing, any horse is capable of jumping 3ft without much effort.

Exactly! And to prove it - this is just shy of 3ft (perspective is a little odd though) and even my 14hh short legged highland can get over it without ever having all 4 feet off the ground :eek:

184960_517010188067_7666130_n.jpg

Ah now that's what I'm talking about :) Thank you! I'm impressed :)

I used to know the girl who owned him (riding in that video) - she was out sj-ing him well over a metre every week. She had a couple of smart horses she produced, but Monty was legendary :D

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have one....

Chestnut - Thoroughbred :) haha Stereotypically flighty, very forward, tempermental, sensitive skinned, crap feet, poor do-er, etc....

He is one of the laziest sods out - you take your leg of and he stops. He is pretty chilled out and relaxed, only has front shoes on due to thin soles (was unshod for 3 years prior to being bought back into work and couldn't cope), his hinds are some of the best my farrier has seen though - how that works, I really don't know ( :) ) and he is fed half a bucket of oaten chaff, a scoof of pellets, a mineral suppliment, a coat suppliment and slippery elm...
this is what he looks like -
null_zpsc410a074.jpg

8975D5E5-3E00-4FD2-BC7B-0DC18B09C046-2857-0000031F08A759AB_zpsf6a11edd.jpg

eahotson

Visit site
I have one of those apparently rare beasts:D

One day, without asking him or any encouragement he decided to stand on the mounting block! Not sure why but if its in the yard he will always head straight for it.
He isn't spooky, bargy or hot headed and when you whisper 'Cariad' which is Welsh for 'my little darling' he closes his eyes and goes all gooey!

mounting_zps1bf239c3.jpg
[/URL]

Lovely.I have just started some western riding.When I told western instructor over the phone that I had a welsh cob I could here him thing OH NO she has some bolshy, out of control welsh and she wants me to teach her trail on THAT> When he met him he was bowled over.