Breaks! Or lack of them.

Rosie'smum

Visit site
I need some help!
Rose has always been pretty good out on a hack in her mullen Pelham with 2 reins. We have arguments but ive always got something there.
Went out on a hound exercise today and it blew her brains a bit despite having 4 calming cookies and being 14hh.

So she is just in a crank noseband and a mullen pelham. She throws her head up or just gets a bit of an iron mouth and ignores every attempt i ask to have some control.

Is there any options I can try with her for next time?

Attachments

• Rose hunt 03.10.21.jpg
    Rose hunt 03.10.21.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
Sounds like she was very overwhelmed - do you have a reliable buddy horse, who isn’t affected by all the ongoings, and preferably who she already knows, to keep her beside?

Clodagh

Visit site
I really hate crank nose bands… just MO and if it isn’t working anyway maybe try without it?
If you ride with 2 reins already I’d put her in a double, I’m a fan and they have 2 much more distinctive actions than 2 reins on one bit.
You both look great in the pic, btw. Very smart!

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Shes done it before but very long time ago. She would settle but as soon as something started to canter she would be off again, have control for 2 secs then it would go and she would take off. It got worse after we had to stand still for the hounds to regroup. The Crank was already on the bridle which is a double bridle, and i do it up loose. My old instructor recommended that we try it but I hadnt found the right combination. It was a happy mouth lozenge bradoon and a mullen curb. She doesnt like much movement. Only tried it a couple of times and im not that good at using my reins separately.
The 2 other people i was with were also quite excited but it didnt matter anyway Rose left them behind on most occasions as struggled to keep her behind others. She just kept trying to push through others. I guess didnt help we were at the back of the pack.

Thank you clodagh :) Its what makes it frustrating cause she can move, and look so good and very rarely she doesnt try to take over and it feels fab! But 99% of the time we often have loud discussions on what speed we should be going and her opinion is it must be fast. I like fast as long as i know that I can have control if i need it but just worry about her slipping and she did a couple of times as she hasnt got the best of balance.