Breast plate or neck strap ?

tubby1

Visit site
Big ginger giraffe had a bit of a moment today so thought I had better get my self something to hang on to rather than forcefully removing her mane . My instructor suggested a breast plate would this be better than a neck strap and could anyone recommend one please . ?

Foxy O

Visit site
I used to have a hunting breast plate on my last horse but when I had jumping lessons I found it wasn't in the right place for me to hang on too if I lost my brave pants.

With my new horse I use an old stirrup leather around her neck, which works well :)

L&M

Visit site
Imo breast plates, especially hunting style, the handles are in the wrong place i.e. too near the withers.

Where as a good old fashioned neck strap is further down the neck and therefore easier to grab in an emergency…….

Others may say different though!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
At one time I had a breast plate, but since changing to a neck strap I would not go back. The neck strap can be used to steer and stop when the horse is too volatile to take a grip on the reins! The breast plate can't do this properly as it is all tied down. Echo that with a neck strap you can adjust your hands on the neck better too, especially for jumping.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If a Brest plate is most appropriate because of the fit of the horses saddle then use one ( personally I hate them ) but if you like a neck strap use one as well .

eggs

Visit site
Another option could be a balance strap - a piece of leather that attaches to the D rings at the front of the saddle (no good for jumping though) as you can hook your fingers through it.

Spilletta

Visit site
Personally, I'd go with a neck strap. Either an old stirrup leather or, as I've got, the neck part of an old martingale which has had the "running" part removed. I prefer it as it's thinner than a stirrup leather.

The odd few times I've been given a horse to ride that needs a breast plate, there has been a neck strap put on as well. Breast plate for the saddle, neck strap for the rider!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Another option could be a balance strap - a piece of leather that attaches to the D rings at the front of the saddle (no good for jumping though) as you can hook your fingers through it.

The best thing about the neck strap is that you use it to teach the horse that when you pull it they stop.
All horses learn this very easily .
It's best to use a thin strap like from a martingale not a stirrup leather you teach them that when you pull the strap and say whoa whoa they stop.
Then when stuff goes pear shaped you grap the strap they stop it's saved my bacon so many times .
I stop my horses out hunting by pulling on the martingale if they get strong much better than using the bit .

Beausmate

Visit site
The advantage of a breastplate, is that it is attached to the saddle, so if you happen to get launched up the horse's neck, it doesn't come with you. Otherwise I find a neckstrap easier to use. I used both on my mad giraffe, just in case....

LeannePip

Visit site
Personally, I'd go with a neck strap. Either an old stirrup leather or, as I've got, the neck part of an old martingale which has had the "running" part removed. I prefer it as it's thinner than a stirrup leather.

The odd few times I've been given a horse to ride that needs a breast plate, there has been a neck strap put on as well. Breast plate for the saddle, neck strap for the rider!

This is what i use, when i feel so inclined, i use an old spur strap or similar to attach the neck strap to the d rings so if anything happens it wont get launched up the neck or come off

old hand

Visit site
I think it depends upon the size of the horse and its head carriage. Have a very big one and if use a neck strap I have to stand up and lean forward due to the size of his shoulders, not so good as occasionally he rodeos. Have taken the shoulder straps off an elastic breastplate and can hold the handle with the reins if necessary. A friend used to do this on a similar sized show jumper, also helps stopping you get pinged off if they have a big jump.

stormclouds

Visit site
The best thing about the neck strap is that you use it to teach the horse that when you pull it they stop.
All horses learn this very easily .
It's best to use a thin strap like from a martingale not a stirrup leather you teach them that when you pull the strap and say whoa whoa they stop.
Then when stuff goes pear shaped you grap the strap they stop it's saved my bacon so many times .
I stop my horses out hunting by pulling on the martingale if they get strong much better than using the bit .

Ditto this.

My Welsh D is quite strong and teaching him to stop on pulling the neckstrap/saying woah has been brilliant when we've had 'moments' haha.

And like everyone else has said, neckstrap rather than breastplate definitely. It's in the right place, and you'll be able to hold onto your reins and the strap if needed (or at least just one hand on both)

Silmarillion

Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I prefer my breastplate! My neckstrap drove me crazy as it just kept going down Alf's neck every time he put his head down to buck! I now have a breastplate and a ***** strap and I am positive that the breastplate saved me from getting a muddy bum yesterday ;)

BSL

Visit site
I always use an old stirrup leather as a neck strap, Someone on here, once said they used it to slow their horse down when he got excited, I tried it, and for me it's brilliant. No pressure on mouth, just focus' his attention when he gets a bit speedy. plus handy for me if I get a bit wobbly in the saddle :) Sorry can't remember who it was, but thanks, it works. :)

springtime1331

Visit site
I prefer a breastplate, mine is slightly too big for the horse and I can and often do hold the "handle" in my outside hand if things are getting hairy. I find the neck strap too chunky for this, could use a loose neck off a martingale but don't actually own one. I also worry about a loose neck strap slipping up the neck and the horse treading on it - say if lunging before getting on.

marmalade76

Visit site
I use a neck strap, a breastplate is too fixed and not in quite the right place. Like Goldenstar said, I started using one when I had a whizzy horse with a sensitive mouth because it helped me to stop him and I got used to using one and rarely ride without these days. I either use a martingale or a neck strap with the martingale part removed. Standing martingales can be quite cheap on Ebay as they are not popular with many and they are easier to remove from their neckstrap.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can easy attach your neck strap to your saddle if you want to .
I attach them to the breastplate for hunting using a thin cable tie through one breastplate ring on the wither this stops the neck strap slipping down the neck which can be a pain pity hunting .
Although now there's all this fifty shades of grey thing 50 something women buying cable ties get funny looks .

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I use a neckstrap but only use it to halt & half halt. If I was looking for added security I would go for the breastplate as it doesn't move! :)

Shantara

Visit site
S5rrVnG.gif

I only use a breastplate on Ned, because...I don't really have a reason! But I wouldn't hesitate to use both. Breastplates are good because they don't really move, but neckstraps are in a slightly better place.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I prefer neck straps, I can't get near a breast plate in a crazy moment. I used both to play horseball though, because he was meant to wear a martingale for it, but it wasn't in the right place to hang off!

NaeNae87

Visit site
S5rrVnG.gif

I only use a breastplate on Ned, because...I don't really have a reason! But I wouldn't hesitate to use both. Breastplates are good because they don't really move, but neckstraps are in a slightly better place.

Haha love that. :)

I agree with Chan. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

I personally use a neckstrap... If it is good enough for William Fox-Pitt, Sinead Halpin and Caroline Powell, heck it is good enough for me. I like the fact that is not fixed as I can maneuver when my boys give me a hairy moment in the saddle. If needed, grabbing the breastplate will work as well but most of the time I find the breastplate is in the wrong spot to be of much use. A big chunk of mane is also great in a pinch. :)

Kat

Visit site
I have used both at different times out hunting and the ideal would probably be both at the same time as they both have their advantages. It is quite common to see horses in both on the hunting field and some will be wearing a monkey strap on the saddle including the masters horse so it is nothing to be ashamed of!

I don't bother when hacking and schooling. My horse is pretty good and I can't be bothered cleaning more tack than absolutely necessary! But I would if I thought she might have a moment.

billyboobar

Visit site
Hi does anyone know what the straps are called that attach a hunting martingale to the d rings on the saddle, they are just a small strap on each side of the saddle.