Breast reduction

jay2bee

Visit site
Hello, has anyone had a breast reduction? I'm looking to have one before the end of the year, to go from an H cup to a C. I'm sick of them, and really hope the reduced weight helps with my riding/not getting a bad back after 10 minutes of schooling! Just looking for any experiences and how long did you wait before riding again after the op?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I have no experience, only more on the bra fitting front (and there may be bra fitting solutions that mean you don't get a bad back, see the link below). Just be aware that surgeons don't understand cup sizes AT ALL in most cases, be absolutely sure you know what you're being promised, good luck :).

Great resources here https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/search/?q=abtf reduction&restrict_sr=1and there is a good reddit sub purely for reductions.

Breast/cup volumes https://bustyresources.fandom.com/wiki/Sister_size?file=Breast_volumes.png

paddi22

Visit site
My sister got one and swore it was the best thing she ever did. she said it gave her massive relief and she just felt a lot more comfortable in herself. she got it done a few years ago, but you can def see them starting to creep up in size a bit, but not a massive amount

J&S

Visit site
I have no personal experience but have heard it is very important to regulate your weight once you have had it done. 1t is really difficult to keep your weight down as you get older so can imagine there could be difficulties at a later date.

sbloom

I have had a reduction - please PM if you need to chat.

I am naturally a size 8/10, but had a 34H chest. It was the best thing I ever did!

It's highly likely that you were in too large a band (forgive me for both going off topic and making it personal, just want to give an illustration). Ribcage measurement immediately under the bust determines band size, without adding inches in most cases, and I'd bet 34" is a bigger measurement than your underbust. Reductions for some people are of course necessary and life changing, for some a much better fitting bra goes far enough to make them decide they won't go for it/don't need it. Just as a comparison I am size 12-14 and wear a 30-32 band.

https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php
https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/index#wiki_new_members

Last edited:

suebou

Visit site
Changed my daughter’s life, from a 34 just to a 34 c. Done under nhs and has allowed her to do things that she just wouldn’t have dreamt of before. Done eight, maybe nine years ago. There has been a slight increase in cup size, maybe a d now because of birth control and COVID vaccination (yes really!) but still ‘normal’ in sporting terms. She is careful with her weight, not just for boobs but she has a fitness requirement for work. It was painful but totally totally worth it for her.

sbloom

How strange to assume you know someone’s bra size from a forum post?!

Anyway….Thank you to the two ladies who PMd me with their personal experiences, I can’t wait to get my op and a new lease of life!

Not strange at all when someone states a band measurement (and that's all I commented on) and a dress size, plus I was on the reddit group for several years, so you do get the feel of a few things. A dress size gives some indication but can never predict an exact band size for sure. I did only say I suspected the band size could be off, I absolutely did not say I knew her bra size! Too loose a band with larger volume breasts is a really common reason for back pain as the bra can't support the weight without being firm, then something has to give.

Genuinely only trying to help, a breast reduction is serious surgery and it would be awful if someone went into it without all the relevant information, and for that reason ended up regretting it. Bra fitting is notoriously awful in many stores and on many websites' size guides (if they're adding inches to the underbust dismiss it!).

Last edited:

teacups

Visit site
I agree with sbloom. Read your post and thought ‘that seems large for a size 8‘ - I’m a size 8 and my underbust measurement is 28. Then again, everyone varies!

A lot of people discover, late on in life, that their bras measurement has been wrong, and usually it’s the underbust too big and the cup size too small, so for the benefit of anyone reading this thread at some future point it’s a helpful and useful comment.

Good luck with the operation and enjoy - it can be awful to have very large breasts.

Lammy

Visit site
If it helps I’m a size 10 and most definitely. a 34 bust. Women’s clothing sizes aren’t exactly the best guide to be able to say what size band someone should be in…

I would also be really interested to hear anybodies experiences of having this op on the NHS as it’s something I’ve also considered but would never be able to afford privately.

suebou

Visit site
If it helps I’m a size 10 and most definitely. a 34 bust. Women’s clothing sizes aren’t exactly the best guide to be able to say what size band someone should be in…

I would also be really interested to hear anybodies experiences of having this op on the NHS as it’s something I’ve also considered but would never be able to afford privately.
Lammas, my daughter had hers on nhs. It affected her mental health as well as causing physical problems, damaged shoulders, posture, etc. Go reluctantly referred her saying’ it almost never happens’ two consultants meetings, scheduled surgery at nearest teaching hospital and there we are! Surgery scars got infected, this was completely denied by local nurse, but my other vet nurse daughter spotted it and insisted on a gp meeting. This was all pre Covid-19 of course

Inky1986

Visit site
I am booked in for 3 weeks time! Can not wait :) Currently I am an E cup and absolutely hate having large breasts...I don't enjoy exercising and even riding my horse is a challenge unless I have 2 very firm support bras on. It makes me feel big and bulky, and my lower back is constantly aching.

I will let you know how it all goes :) the only reason I didn't get it sooner was due to having kids and saving the money!

jay2bee

Visit site
I am booked in for 3 weeks time! Can not wait :) Currently I am an E cup and absolutely hate having large breasts...I don't enjoy exercising and even riding my horse is a challenge unless I have 2 very firm support bras on. It makes me feel big and bulky, and my lower back is constantly aching.

I will let you know how it all goes :) the only reason I didn't get it sooner was due to having kids and saving the money!
Best of luck, please do let me know how you get on, I’m sure it will go great!

twiggy2

Visit site
It's highly likely that you were in too large a band (forgive me for both going off topic and making it personal, just want to give an illustration). Ribcage measurement immediately under the bust determines band size, without adding inches in most cases, and I'd bet 34" is a bigger measurement than your underbust. Reductions for some people are of course necessary and life changing, for some a much better fitting bra goes far enough to make them decide they won't go for it/don't need it. Just as a comparison I am size 12-14 and wear a 30-32 band.

I am a 10-12 in a top and definatly a 34, I have been measured on 5 or 6 different occasions and they always tell me I am a 32, so I dutifully buy a 32, then I can't breath and my bootbs are all squashed up in the middle of my chest and mightily uncomfortable

webble

Visit site
I am a 10-12 in a top and definatly a 34, I have been measured on 5 or 6 different occasions and they always tell me I am a 32, so I dutifully buy a 32, then I can't breath and my bootbs are all squashed up in the middle of my chest and mightily uncomfortable
Did you go up a cup size or 2 when you went down a band size?

I'm a size 12 and was always measured as a 32dd and never felt quite right. Went to bravissimo who switched me to a 30f which is loads better

sbloom

As webble has said the cup has to not only be large enough, going up at least one cup letter, but also the right shape. My underbust is 30-32 depending on how tight you pull (bands should fit firmly) and bust is around 38-39, I do not look like I have a large bust by any stretch of the imagination. I wore 36B for years (for a 38" bust, 36+2), 34C (for a 37" bust) and 32D (for a 36" bust), all having the same cup volume yet as you can see they may not offer enough space overall. Now I wear a 32F/30FF, you could see it as the smaller band revealing the cup being too small.

This is "sister sizing" and the basis of much of correct bra fitting: https://bustyresources.fandom.com/wiki/Sister_size and
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But a size 10-12 is slightly more likely to be a 34 band than an 8-10, it's all relative. I should also say that an E cup is literally "only" a 6" difference between underbust and bust, and perhaps not as large as people might expect - https://whatbrasizeslooklike.wordpress.com/category/all-e-cups/

We're not making this stuff up https://mashable.com/article/tiktok-bra-size-calculator (except it's laughable that it only started to gain traction in 2020)

Last edited:

blitznbobs

Visit site

when your boobs are so big compared to your band size its very difficult to get a bra that doesnt cause rubbing under your arms … when i was skinny i was a 30 I — difficult to find and the cups end up under your arms unless you are very careful about makes and then you can look like you have a pair of torpedos on your chest. I havent had a breast reduction because im a coward and scared of post op pain but removal of my bra is pretty much the dirat thing i do especially if inwhere one with the ‘correct’ band … i only buy bras from rigby and pellar now because they do actually fit but i have only ever found one make and style that comes close to comfortable

sbloom

Sometimes though, when you've had large breasts and all the trouble that comes with them for years, people saying "have you tried a different bra size" just irritates the life out of you! Yes, we have, it doesn't always fix everyone's problems unfortunately.

But that's not quite what we're saying, trying better sizes is just the start. I'm sorry it's irritating but when you've been in the online bra fitting community for years it's seen all the time. The right bra (bear in mind I have ONE regular bra and one sports bra that is actually the right shape for me, I'm sure there might be more out there but I've tried on over 100 bras to get a good basic fit) CAN make all the difference and for some has to be a better option than serious surgery. I have never belittled your situation in any way.

when your boobs are so big compared to your band size its very difficult to get a bra that doesnt cause rubbing under your arms … when i was skinny i was a 30 I — difficult to find and the cups end up under your arms unless you are very careful about makes and then you can look like you have a pair of torpedos on your chest. I havent had a breast reduction because im a coward and scared of post op pain but removal of my bra is pretty much the dirat thing i do especially if inwhere one with the ‘correct’ band … i only buy bras from rigby and pellar now because they do actually fit but i have only ever found one make and style that comes close to comfortable

Agreed, it can be very tricky, especially if you have a short upper body. I still take my bra off when I get home (though a while back they fitted SO well that I didn't need to) but I'm not wanting to rip my own skin off when I get home after a 16 hour day. The reddit group, and their FB group, can really help with some of these issues, and bratabase.com even has wing height and wire length listed for tons of styles (user generated) which can help avoid that underarm rubbing. I get it if my wires don't come high enough as my flesh folds over the end of the wire.

Rigby & Peller fitted me into a narrow, projected (and expensive!) 34D, as you'll see above I'm a 30FF, plus I need wide, shallow cups.

I'm sorry to derail the thread but if it genuinely saves someone from huge expense and major surgery because, for them, there is a actually a much better solution, then it's worth it.

twiggy2

Visit site
Did you go up a cup size or 2 when you went down a band size?

I'm a size 12 and was always measured as a 32dd and never felt quite right. Went to bravissimo who switched me to a 30f which is loads better

Yes I went up a cup size sometimes 2, if I went up 2 cup sizes then the cup ends up rubbing under my arms and up one and my boobs are in the middle of my chest.

As webble has said the cup has to not only be large enough, going up at least one cup letter, but also the right shape. My underbust is 30-32 depending on how tight you pull (bands should fit firmly) and bust is around 38-39, I do not look like I have a large bust by any stretch of the imagination. I wore 36B for years (for a 38" bust, 36+2), 34C (for a 37" bust) and 32D (for a 36" bust), all having the same cup volume yet as you can see they may not offer enough space overall. Now I wear a 32F/30FF, you could see it as the smaller band revealing the cup being too small.

This is "sister sizing" and the basis of much of correct bra fitting: https://bustyresources.fandom.com/wiki/Sister_size and
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But a size 10-12 is slightly more likely to be a 34 band than an 8-10, it's all relative. I should also say that an E cup is literally "only" a 6" difference between underbust and bust, and perhaps not as large as people might expect - https://whatbrasizeslooklike.wordpress.com/category/all-e-cups/

We're not making this stuff up https://mashable.com/article/tiktok-bra-size-calculator (except it's laughable that it only started to gain traction in 2020)

The thing is a 34 b in most makes is comfy, offers enough support etc etc, I dont need to change what i am wearing,

sbloom

Yes I went up a cup size sometimes 2, if I went up 2 cup sizes then the cup ends up rubbing under my arms and up one and my boobs are in the middle of my chest.

The thing is a 34 b in most makes is comfy, offers enough support etc etc, I dont need to change what i am wearing,

Comfort is all, anyone considering a reduction is unlikely to be in that position.

Dreamer2020

Visit site
Hi OP, I had a breast reduction about 20 years ago (in my mid 20s). It was the best thing I ever did & I've never regretted it. I was a size 12 with 34GG bust & they took me down to a 34D. I didn't have a horse back then but from memory I was out of action for about 6 weeks. Go for it, you won't regret it! Life is much better without humungous heavy boobs! Best of luck xx

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
(This is not directed at the OP: if your boobs are causing you constant pain and discomfort then it sounds like surgery is a good call.)

But for anyone else at their wits end because they can't find a comfy bra, and ripping your bra off is the best part of the day- just don't wear one! No, it's not pretty (well, mine aren't anyway! 4 kids, a total of 5.5 years breastfeeding, permanently 2 stone overweight etc etc) but on the other hand, it's incredibly liberating when you stop giving a flying f**k about being pretty. Confirmed bra-burner over here!