Breastplate to keep the girth forwards needed

Kallibear

Visit site
Toby needs his girth kept right fowards under his elbows as he has a lumpy bit just behind the girth (it's actually just where he has a big whorl but the flies have got at it badly at some point and it'a scarred).

His saddle's a good fit and the girth just wants to sit in it's natural place, but annoyingly that's a little too far back and is in danger of rubbing his lumpy bit.

I currently use a hunter breastplate with the girth loop as short as it goes, but it's not a great fit. It basically has to be too tight to keep the girth forwards.

Any suggestions for keeping the girth forwards?

duggan

Visit site
Try an old style breastgirth, one of the strong leather ones that attach to the girth straps or just below. I used it actually on the girth, and as long as the girth was kept snug it did the job.
I think I still have one in the loft if you would like to try it, subject to it fitting.....

Kallibear

Visit site
An breastgirth thingy?

I did wonder about them but I don't think I could fit it low enough to do it's job? It's the middle of the girth (i.e at the bottom) which needs to be kept forwards. I will try one though - think I have an elasticated one in my ridiculously large box of spare tack.

duggan

Visit site
I think the elastic ones would slip more than you need, although this leather one attaches at the side of the horse it may help to stop the whole thing moving forwards. The 5 point breastplates are a similar design.