Breastplates.. Probably a very stupid question

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I use a hunting type breastplate.. Which after watching him jump the other day seems pretty ineffective as possibly too big so I'm looking to replace it. I currently have the kind that has a loop the girth goes through and I'd prefer a clip . I'm struggling to find quite the right thing. Do people normally attach their own clip onto the loop rather than buying it that way?

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
Any saddler will probably have the clips and would probably put them on for you, or maybe have a look on eBay for the clips? They're not hard to put on ots just getting them

Shay

Visit site
Clip breastplates are much easier - but if you do hunt, go XC or jump a lot on hacks they can be a liability. If they catch on brush they will snap - and quite right too - but leaving you with a flapping end to your breastplate and no choice but to dismount and thread it through the girth in the normal way.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Thank you very much for the responses I will look into having one fitted I think. I can seem to find them with clips on second hand but not much luck finding something suitable new.

And to answer the question no the saddle isn't moving but he does need a martingale and since I already had a breastplate when I bought him I made use of it. However after watching someone else jump him (first time in about 4 years) I have realised that it probably isn't as effective as it should be so was looking to replace it and thought it would be handy to have a clip rather than loop. I wouldn't use it if there wasn't some use for it. I'm not all that concerned about whether what I buy is a martingale or breastplate although I do find the "handle" being closer on the breastplate more useful in emergency moments.