Breathing support supplements please.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What works?

Poor Ludo started a slight cough timed perfectly to blame a routine dental. I was concerned that the bucket with the tools in had no bubbles or colour in it and looked like just plain water. He's now snotting creamy colour muck. Of course I will get the vet when the Christmas break is over, but meanwhile is there anything I can feed him which actually works to stop airway inflammation?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ventilate is the one I have used successfully not in your circumstances though .
But it’s given a great result each time I have used it .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
What works?

Poor Ludo started a slight cough timed perfectly to blame a routine dental. I was concerned that the bucket with the tools in had no bubbles or colour in it and looked like just plain water. He's now snotting creamy colour muck. Of course I will get the vet when the Christmas break is over, but meanwhile is there anything I can feed him which actually works to stop airway inflammation?
Hi Ycbm

Having two current with breathing problems, I tried and tested many with not much success

I use https://www.globalherbs.co.uk/product/airway-plus-powder - strong Eucalyptus. In their feed

I also give a couple of treats https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254070043

Also use this when riding and breathing bad just 10 ml before riding https://www.viovet.co.uk/Equine-Ame...IWVxyYycxGf3aQSV2Vf-MrKoMnjlPwkYaAkNcEALw_wcB

Lastly I use this in the stable, just a few sprays on a flannel and just leave hanging in there, and also I spray in the stable atmosphere, I love the smell of Eucalyptus. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Gold-Label...t083SRSIVL6EvtRFg4PI_EBzVIaD5IZoaAjK1EALw_wcB

An aid for horses with respiratory infections to help ease breathing. Spray liberally in the atmosphere around the horses in either the stable or horse-transporter.

A blend of aromatic oils including eucalyptus and menthol.

Spray liberally in the atmosphere of the stable or transport - twice daily.

Contains volatile oils

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Another vote for Balsamic air. Sometimes this will rid my horse of his allergy induced cough and I don't have to get out his Flexineb. Works well, and he appears to like it. However, his issues aren't infection related.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Tbh I would want the vet out before you will be able to get any supplement, if you think he has caught an infection from dirty equipment. A friend reccommended the Global Herbs one(sorry can't remember the name) for our mare with equine asthma (COPD), as it worked well fo rhers but I'm not convinced it made much difference to ours,she ended up back on the ventipulmin, even with the supplement.

palo1

Visit site
When my chap came in with snot (from one nostril) I gave him 3 days of pen&strep injections with bute which vet was very supportive of, prior to visiting and prescribing antibios. I was more concerned about sinus infection however and didn't want anything to take hold over that weekend.

I would ask the vet prior to giving a supplement tbh.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I tried several different OTC respiratory supplements over the years when my horse had similar problems as Ludo is having or when he occasionaly reacted to certain crops in the spring/summer. I always ended up going back to NAF Respirator Boost which I found to be excellent and worked really well.

ETA. If his symptoms persisted or if the discharge looked different to what was usual for him, I'd always get the vet and he would have a course of Ventipulmin or alternative.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I tried several different ones when my horse had similar problems as Ludo is having, or when he occasionally reacted to certain crops in the spring/summer. I always ended up going back to NAF Respirator Boost which I found to be excellent and worked every time.

I use Respirator Boost as a preventative as even with soaked hay one of mine seems to cough when stabled in winter. I’ve also used Kof-eeze on and off as needed which is a linctus.

paddy555

Visit site
Tbh I would want the vet out before you will be able to get any supplement, if you think he has caught an infection from dirty equipment. A friend reccommended the Global Herbs one(sorry can't remember the name) for our mare with equine asthma (COPD), as it worked well fo rhers but I'm not convinced it made much difference to ours,she ended up back on the ventipulmin, even with the supplement.

me too. I am on a FB strangles group and there seems to be a lot of it around the country. When I was in this position with a horse I got the vet as I wondered about strangles and it turned out to be strep. zoo which needed a lot of treatment. Even at christmas vet rates I would want an answer before trying any herbs etc.

temperature?

Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
Another vote here for at least a call and a chat with the vet.
I doubt it qualifies as an emergency but I’d be wanting to book an appointment in for Wednesday if I could and suspect they might book up quick post bank holiday. Id also do regular temperature and heart rate checks.
Supplement wise I also really rate Naf Respirator boost liquid.
Tried winergy ventilate before the naf and it made no difference at all

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I see the supplements as more for dust and allergy related problems. I think from what you describe I would check in with the vet soonest. But not an emergency so something in the mean time...

Respirator Boost for me. But I have seen really good things about the Lincoln Koff syrup and in your current situation I would give that a punt.

I'm using D&H respiritory herbs at the moment... The Beast is fine on them but MrT went nutso!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Another vote here for at least a call and a chat with the vet.
I doubt it qualifies as an emergency but I’d be wanting to book an appointment in for Wednesday if I could and suspect they might book up quick post bank holiday. Id also do regular temperature and heart rate checks.
Supplement wise I also really rate Naf Respirator boost liquid.
Tried winergy ventilate before the naf and it made no difference at all

Breathing difficulties can soon become an emergency. I've used the NAF Respirator, too, but again,not sure it made much difference.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Supplements can have their uses in post respiratory infection support, but in the first instance I agree with the other posters who say that a vet opinion is needed now, even if only currently to discuss his symptoms over the phone.

Animals do seem to delight in saving up their ailments for OOH times, don't they.

nutjob

Visit site
It took weeks of antibiotics to shift my horses sinus infection, although he was in his 20's and had other issues. I would get the vet asap, especially if the discharge smells bad. He was also on low dose of bute.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
The traditional Vicks in a bowl of hot / warm water held by the nose (with a tea towel over nose & bowl if he'll tolerate it) can help relieve symptoms. Sounds like an infection though which is frustrating

This is the only thing (other than vet prescribed drugs and living condition changes) that ever made any difference to mine.

ycbm

Visit site
No he doesn't have a temperature and he is bright and his normal self. I also have queries over too dry haylage, but if it's that is taken a month to start affecting him and isn't affecting the other. His teeth were done first. I will of course call the vet if anything, including the colour of the snot, changes. Meanwhile, a non prescription supplement can't hurt and could help if it's the haylage. I feel a wall paper steamer might be arriving soon!

Would anyone tell the practice manager about the suspicions? Is it possible that she had disinfected the water without me seeing, and that it was antibacterial but had no bubbling, no colour, and no smell?

Mule

Visit site
If it were a reaction to dry haylege or hay the snot would usually be clear. In my experience, it has always been clear. Of course these things can vary.

I have a horse with asthma, he is on steroids in a nebuliser.
I wonder whether dry haylage would cause a problem. I would have thought even dryish haylege would have been safe.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
those with the greatest sense of humour actually seem to prefer Christmas day and Boxing day. :D:D:D:D
My OH still tells guests about the 7am call on a Christmas morning when we were due to host guests for lunch - the horse is on 3 legs, I've left the Delia cook book on the side, you need to get cooking.

To be fair he enjoyed it so much he's now main chef. Every cloud and all that....?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No he doesn't have a temperature and he is bright and his normal self. I also have queries over too dry haylage, but if it's that is taken a month to start affecting him and isn't affecting the other. His teeth were done first. I will of course call the vet if anything, including the colour of the snot, changes. Meanwhile, a non prescription supplement can't hurt and could help if it's the haylage. I feel a wall paper steamer might be arriving soon!

Would anyone tell the practice manager about the suspicions? Is it possible that she had disinfected the water without me seeing, and that it was antibacterial but had no bubbling, no colour, and no smell?

There's no color and I think no smell when our dentist cleaned her stuff between horses. She scrubs it quickly with something, then puts the tool in a hot bucket of water, then wipes it off, I think. I'm not sure exactly what yours did, but if you felt uncomfortable about it and that this is possible how your horse became ill, then maybe you should contact the practice? I don't know that I would. I'd likely just use someone else or remember it for next time.

PurBee

Visit site

I experienced similar - one dentist came here, teeth rasp tools in a bucket, she went up to my horses drinking trough, plunged her bucket into the trough and scooped up some water into her bucket, and started using the tools.

I was busy organising the horses, and observed this, then it was a tremendous nervous ordeal for 1 horse, but afterwards i was thinking that if she came from just doing a horses teeth, and used just my water to wash her tools, then no disinfecting occurred….and i felt quite angry really.

I dumped my water trough contents…bleached it, re-filled. God knows in what sh*tty/Pis*y places her bucket had stood that day!

Never re-booked that dentist.

My first go-to for respiratory issues/infections would be mullein leaf:

https://draxe.com/nutrition/mullein/

mullein leaf herb is good for respiratory issues, and especially for aiding release of mucous from the lungs. Its also anti-inflammatory. Its traditionally smoked, but you could add a good heaped tablespoon to a bowl of boiling water, and if Ludo will stand still and breathe in the fumes that would help.

Make a strong mullein tea to dampen a bowl feed, the ingestion also aids as a defence.

Otherwise, a vaporiser for asthmatics, using mullein tea for him to breathe in - they come with a face mask/cup attachment - i used one on my wee cat that had respiratory infection. Me and her, under a towel breathing in misty air!

The mask/cup would just about cover a horses nostrils. Give a 10 seconds to him, take away, give him a treat maybe if he’s unsure/nervous - then another few seconds. The smell shouldnt be disgusting to a horse…hopefully! Its fairly green, nice smelling.
I made a fresh strong mullein tea, cover the cup so the fumes dont escape. Leave it to cool, add it to the vaporiser chamber.

Heres one on amazon similar to the design i use , its portable recharge battery powered handy for stable without power, but if you have access to Ludo to a powerpoint, shop around more powerful larger mains power units available.
Theyre a handy bit of medical kit to have on hand for humans and animals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasonic...aporiser+for+sinuses+portable,aps,170&sr=8-33

rextherobber

Visit site

My EDT uses plain water in the tool bucket, but everything, including the gag and the bucket, is scrubbed with hot water and hibiscrub before it goes back on the truck, so possibly yours does the same?

ycbm

Visit site
My EDT uses plain water in the tool bucket, but everything, including the gag and the bucket, is scrubbed with hot water and hibiscrub before it goes back on the truck, so possibly yours does the same?

That's interesting. I watched her put it back in the van because I had bad vibes. I actually carried it to the van for her. She threw the water down the yard and plonked it all in the van.