Brecon Beacons rides with barefooter

MrsNorris

Visit site
Anyone know if the Crychan Forest trails are suitable for barefoot horses? Mine is pretty good on fairly rough tracks but miles of stoney tracks wouldn't be pleasant for either of us! I've printed off the maps and some info which tells you what type of track the ride has, but it doesn't specify what hard tracks actually are, there's soft tracks and forest roads too which I guess would be easy. Anyone done any of them before? Thanks

Edgehog

Visit site
I was up there yesterday with my driving horse and the main tracks are compressed stone so nice and solid all year round but there is a gritty loose gravel in places especially outside wheel tracks. There are verges a lot of the time but often boggy or stoney underneath. There are some softer tracks joining the main tracks.
There are currently forestry operations across the whole forest however felling is largely finished for the nesting season but some tracks are closed and you may meet timber wagons hauling the timber out. The CFA website is a good resource for the latest information and also for closures for organised events.
Crychan Forest is an amazing place to ride with good horsey facilities at many of the car parks and very quiet, you will be unlucky to see anyone else up there.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Thanks edgehog, that's very useful. He's fine with the trucks and stuff, sounds like I'll need to get some hoof boots though, to be on the safe side 🙂