Breeches, jods or tights?

Cam Eq

Visit site
Which is everyone’s favourite and why? I usually wear riding tights for comfort but I’m in need of a few new pairs and have seen some lovely breeches I might get instead. Looking at
1 Comfort
2 Durability
3 Shape (tights are quite shapeless I find )
4 Cost

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I recently bought some Shires Aubrion breeches in a sale and have to say they have become a favourite. I hadn’t realised they had diamond bling when I ordered but ?‍♀️?
They do loads of different ones though and are very comfortable, wash well and are not expensive.

scats

Visit site
I prefer riding tights or pull on breeches.
I hate zips and fastenings (the fastenings pull on my belly bar- not very BHS, I know)
Favourites are currently Pepperel riding tights, Shires aubrion riding tights and Hy riding tights. I also have a pair of pull on breeches that I got a few years ago from an eBay store. They are grey and like a jogging pant material. Very comfy and warm in winter.
I don’t like paying more than £35 really, all of the above were under that.

Griffin

Visit site
I wear any of them depending on weather and what I am doing. I tend to wear jodhpurs in the winter, breeches in spring and autumn and tights in the summer.

I really like Bridleways basic jodhpurs because they are affordable and really comfortable. I have some summer riding tights from Decathlon and they are not very flattering but so cool to ride in.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'm still very confused as to what the differences are between these three things. I googled for "Shires Aubrion breeches" and looked at a few pictures...

"Aubrion" seems to be a name for a range of clothing, including shirts, breeches and tights... and looking at them the only difference I can see between tights and breeches for women is that tights have no fastener on the waistband and no pockets, while the breeches have both pockets and a fastener. Jodhpurs also seem to have pockets as well as a fastener on the waistband, and are shown being worn both with ankle boots and with high boots... I don't see the difference between breeches and jodhpurs, then.

For men, there is nothing described as a pair of riding tights, and I can't see any difference between what are described as breeches and jodhpurs.

:confused:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Jods usually have the same material all the way down to the foot so they can be worn with short boots though lots of people wear them with long. Breeches used to be much shorter however these days an option is to have a thin stretchy material at the bottom so they look like they go all the way down to the foot but it's not the same material.

Tights could do either.

I like that option as I don't have too much material round my ankle in boots but if I change into trainers, they don't end mid calf.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Breeches or tights here. Breeches with full leather/suede seat (Tredstep or Pikeur) for competition and tights with sticky seat for every day riding. Whatever I'm wearing I always ride with a belt though - so the tights have to have belt loops for me to be happy with them. Wearing a belt really helps me to sit up straight and not slouch - not sure why, but if it works?!

ETA - Scorching North thermo pull on tights have been my go-to tights this winter. Super fleecy inside material is so snug!

Pippity

Visit site
I like breeches. I'm a short-arse, so jodhpurs tend to be too long for me, while breeches end neatly just above my ankle. Also, although I tend to ride in short boots and chaps, breeches are much easier to get into yard boots.

My go-to breeches are Shires Wessex with the knit leg - dirt cheap and reasonably resilient - but the John Whittaker ones are only a little less comfortable and look far smarter.

I've also got a few pairs of riding tights, basically because I love bright colours and you get better colours in tights. However, they usually have to be turned up at the ankle which makes them less comfortable.

I long for a pair of proper, elephant-ear breeches!

McFluff

Visit site
Breeches with McCrown seats for me - Pikeur fit me well, and thankfully they last well (some of mine are several years old). I've tried tights (felt too thin, OK for summer hacking, but don't like schooling or lessons in them) and tried 'full grip' (marked saddle, so don't use them anymore). Sadly I seem to be alone in liking the McCrown, as getting so hard to find these days. But the grip seats are just not good for me. I also found they look worn very quickly (not good if you've spent over £100 on them!).

CrimsonDivine

Visit site
As a guy I find breeches most comfortable, other clothing are just too tight around the nether region if you get my drift? lol.. However I do find jods seem to be more well adapted for the use of riding. Needless to say I actually own two pairs of jodphurs myself. Most of the time though I just generally wear casual clothing, I know, crazy right?! lol. But yeah, I would probably go with breeches for personal reasons but highly recommend jods for better practical use. You can honestly feel the movement of your horse in them, they're normally well padded and quite snug fit. Almost like you're wearing nothing at all XD Certainly can't stand tights but that's also a man thing.. lol.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Whatever I'm wearing I always ride with a belt though - so the tights have to have belt loops for me to be happy with them. Wearing a belt really helps me to sit up straight and not slouch - not sure why, but if it works?!

ETA - Scorching North thermo pull on tights have been my go-to tights this winter. Super fleecy inside material is so snug!

I also wear a belt, and always have at least a Leatherman multi-tool in a belt pouch. I'll usually have a torch as well, and often a loop or pouch with some paracord with a magnet on the end. I attach a magnet to my crop, so that if I drop it I can lower the magnet on the paracord and get my crop back without having to dismount.

As a guy I find breeches most comfortable, other clothing are just too tight around the nether region if you get my drift? lol.. However I do find jods seem to be more well adapted for the use of riding. Needless to say I actually own two pairs of jodphurs myself. Most of the time though I just generally wear casual clothing, I know, crazy right?! lol. But yeah, I would probably go with breeches for personal reasons but highly recommend jods for better practical use. You can honestly feel the movement of your horse in them, they're normally well padded and quite snug fit. Almost like you're wearing nothing at all XD Certainly can't stand tights but that's also a man thing.. lol.

Certainly, having legwear that opens at the front is useful to be able to go for a leak easily. I have more than just two pairs of jodhpurs, but in general I find myself wearing the same two pairs of Shires Saddlehuggers (described as breeches on the Shires website, and as jodhpurs on Amazon :confused:) described as black but in reality a very dark blue, rather than the Pfiff model 101906 in white... I bought the Saddlehuggers to replace the Pfiff model 101434 brown and black jodhs, when the black seat panel flaked away after a little over two years.

My proper breeches are like the ones below.
1617107411525.png

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Breeches with McCrown seats for me - Pikeur fit me well, and thankfully they last well (some of mine are several years old). I've tried tights (felt too thin, OK for summer hacking, but don't like schooling or lessons in them) and tried 'full grip' (marked saddle, so don't use them anymore). Sadly I seem to be alone in liking the McCrown, as getting so hard to find these days. But the grip seats are just not good for me. I also found they look worn very quickly (not good if you've spent over £100 on them!).

I love the McCrown seats - but yes, they are slowly disappearing from the market :(

sportsmansB

Visit site
I prefer suede seat breeches but they are harder to get these days
I wear riding tights on riding holidays where I am out all day and might get soaked, or its really warm

But this week has been a revelation. I got my first pair of Agaso breeches and they are amazing... They are a silicone seat rather than suede, but everything else about them is perfect. Mucked out and rode in them this morning and absolutely love them

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I'm still very confused as to what the differences are between these three things. I googled for "Shires Aubrion breeches" and looked at a few pictures...

"Aubrion" seems to be a name for a range of clothing, including shirts, breeches and tights... and looking at them the only difference I can see between tights and breeches for women is that tights have no fastener on the waistband and no pockets, while the breeches have both pockets and a fastener. Jodhpurs also seem to have pockets as well as a fastener on the waistband, and are shown being worn both with ankle boots and with high boots... I don't see the difference between breeches and jodhpurs, then.

For men, there is nothing described as a pair of riding tights, and I can't see any difference between what are described as breeches and jodhpurs.

In theory, jodhpurs are to be used for short boots, and breeches for long boots. I believe this is the only “difference” although I’m sure people use them with whatever boots!
Breeches tend to be more fitted to the leg/ankle, and are slightly shorter so more comfy in long boots. ?

Mule

Visit site
Tights all the way. I even used to used to wear beige ones back when I competed. They looked the part too. I was never brave enough (or my horse clean enough) for white :p

MuddyMonster

Visit site

Aubrion is a brand of Shires (the company that make everything from horse rugs, riding coats to brushing boots and haynets).

I prefer riding tights as the pull on waistband and stretchy material is far more comfortable. I love they can double as gym or sportswear as I feel much less self conscience popping into somewhere non-horsey to or from the stables in a pair of riding tights and trainers than I do breeches or jodhpurs..

Jodhpurs traditionally have a zip and button fastening and are ankle length and designed to be worn with short boots. Breeches too traditionally have a zip and button waist fastening but are shorter in the leg so they fit under long boots more easily without too much bulk around the ankles.

I find jodhpurs and breeches restrictive now in comparison to riding tights.

Cam Eq

Visit site
I
Aubrion is a brand of Shires (the company that make everything from horse rugs, riding coats to brushing boots and haynets).

I prefer riding tights as the pull on waistband and stretchy material is far more comfortable. I love they can double as gym or sportswear as I feel much less self conscience popping into somewhere non-horsey to or from the stables in a pair of riding tights and trainers than I do breeches or jodhpurs..

Jodhpurs traditionally have a zip and button fastening and are ankle length and designed to be worn with short boots. Breeches too traditionally have a zip and button waist fastening but are shorter in the leg so they fit under long boots more easily without too much bulk around the ankles.

I find jodhpurs and breeches restrictive now in comparison to riding tights.
I often wonder what non horsey people think full seat grips are ?

eggs

Visit site
I prefer breeches preferably Pikeur Lugana or Cavallo Chagall but have also gone over to the dark side of riding tights as they are more forgiving of lockdown weightgain :(

pansymouse

Visit site
I've worn tights for over 10 years and wouldn't consider anything else. I started out with FITS which are American and massively expensive (£200 ish) - they are beautiful and extremely comfortable but the lower end of the market is getting better and better and I now favour Flexars which are about £60 and equally comfortable.

AFB

Visit site
I'm breeches or tights all the way, can't stand jods personally.

I'd probably say I slightly prefer breeches to tights as I'm quite hippy and it's a bit of a fight getting the waistband up - once on they're fine, but as an example I have some Pikeur winter tights that I've damaged the elastic waistband on from overstretching to get them up. So the zip & button just makes life easier for me.