Breed Characteristics of your Horse

pottamus

Visit site
Ok, here's a question for you then....
What breed horse do you have and what would you say their breed characteristics are...?
I have a Welsh D and he is a real softie that would not hurt a fly but is a cheeky so and so and will try to get away with murder...whilst he is fairly steady, he can also act like a TB and be a real drama queen!
grin.gif

Most people believe him to be a steady, sensible cob type...but he can be as sharp as a TB as soon as you blink...not a cob type at all!
crazy.gif

Tempi

Visit site
imo cobs are the quirkiest of them all!!

heres my two:

Blossy is a Norman Cob x TB, altho you cant really tell shes got any TB in her and most people think shes a CB!! Shes cheeky and always in your pockets for food, shes willing to please until shes had enough and then shes not so willing to please! She'd also try and get away with anything if given the chance!

Archie is a dutch warmblood (KWPN) he'd definately have an ASBO if he was a human!! He likes to think hes in charge (even tho hes not) and give him an inch and he'l take a mile!

Law

Visit site
I've got a Section D too and his traits are that he is very clever, learns things easily and can think his way around a problem, but is bloody minded and likes things on his terms. (He has a very short attention span too)

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Right well I have Blackie who is a gypsy cob- He is very intelligent but very willing. He is as cheeky as hell (that might be the pony in him) but never ever nasty. I think you can’t beat the gypsy cobs for there temperaments and attitude towards life!

sammys ma

Visit site
I've got a Coloured Cob...

He can be a typical cob, being very lazy, and will try to get away with doing as little as possible. Also very stubborn!

However, he is so versatile, can turn his hoof to anything, as brave as they come and as gentle as anything!

grin.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
I also have a Section D. She is very spirited and likes to get her own way, she actually sulks with her bottom lip out if I shout at her! She is quite flighty when ridden, but I put this down to her being quite green still as she is as solid as a rock on the ground. She acts first thinks later and is a real houdini, she can alternate between being as sharp as anything to being a complete thicko!

KatB

Visit site
Well dont actually know Goddys breeding, but reckon he fits as a cobxTB.

He is cheeky as hell, and has been nicknamed as the demolition squad... but then the TB comes out and he will be terrified of everything and a complete drama queen!! Can also be stressy....

Parkranger

Visit site
I think that section D's can be very sharp after seeing a couple of my friends horses in action!

My Irish TB has a temper on him but is easy to check and gets very excited but not in a dangerous way, he's very quick to learn and relatively intelligent with bundles of character....I'd say he's pretty typical of his breeding.

He has converted me to TB's though - I used to hate them when I was younger!

Skhosu

Visit site
I have a connie.
He is definitely easy to keep, a good doer. He has a hell of a jump in him but can be stubborn (a big breed characteristic I 'm told!) and is very intelligent. He also knows who he does and doesn't like!

I also have a tbx. He is very sensitive, prone to throwing his toys out of the pram if he doesn't like whats happening, but good and honest and a reasonably straightforward ride!
He can also run very fast, I've yet to meet anything to beat him for speed.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I've got an arab. I've also got a theory that arab horses are like arab men. In their youth they are dark eyed, lithe beauties, full of fun and energy, volatile, always game for a laugh or some mischief.

However. They grow older and turn into lazy overweight paunchy grumps, who expect their womenfolk (me!) to be at their beck and call night and day with a contant stream of hand prepared food available, freshly laundered and scented apparel to adorn their royal bodies and the idea that they might have to lift a hoof now and again sends them into a towering tantrum.

peapod

Visit site
I have a Dales
smile.gif

He is very affectionate, always hanging around for a hug. Quick to learn, very intelligent, and loves to work. However, he can be quite obstinate - if he doesn't want to do something he will let you know! He is very sensible, but has a definite cheeky streak!

He is very characteristic of his breed though; I've found almost all of them to be like this!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He has a hell of a jump in him but can be stubborn (a big breed characteristic I 'm told!) and is very intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Mangobiscuits boy......is he an escape artist?

samp

Visit site
I have a warmblood and she can be typical warmblood - lazy yet quirky at the same time. Though I would not change her for the world

ecrozier

Visit site
My arab sounds like the TB above!!
He is very clever...too clever for his own good sometimes, very cuddly, loves attention and is a bit of a drama queen. He is however the most well mannered horse I have ever known to be around. To ride he is sharp and sensitive, and can be a bit stubborn, but if he works for you not against he is fantastic and has paces to die for...plus we jumped a 1.10 upright last night so he's got a big old jump in him for a 14.3 arab!
My older Russian Trakhener is very different, she is a bit thick to be honest! Very greedy, a little reserved when she doesn't know you but very sweet once you are one of her 'circle'. To ride she is just, well, dim, as she can forget things in the space of 100m, but does do her best! Can be very frustrating at times!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a connie.
He is definitely easy to keep, a good doer. He has a hell of a jump in him but can be stubborn (a big breed characteristic I 'm told!) and is very intelligent. He also knows who he does and doesn't like!

[/ QUOTE ]

My mare is a Connie cross and is most of the things you describe - especially the stubborn bit
crazy.gif

fairhill

Visit site
One is mostly CB, mixed with welsh, and having read some of these descriptions of the welsh cobs, then it's no wonder she's very stubborn mare... I've got the worst of both breeds!!! She's also very happy, friendly and easy horse to do and I wouldn't change her for the world.

Jemayni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a connie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have have 2 connes and they are both the same! They are both amazing jumpers, but one refuses to jump unless its convinient (stubborn!) The other one is stubborn from the ground! The key difference is one is atomic bomb proof, the other is the most nervous horse you will ever meet; but I think this is a blood line thing - the spooky one is from top showing and sj lines, the calm one is a bit of a bog trotter really!

SSM

Visit site
Temperament of the Cleveland Bay Horse
Intelligent, calm and sensible.

Add in lazy, loving and stubborn and you have my girl in a nutshell!!!!!!!!

4whitesocks

Visit site
IDxTB - has pace from the TB side but is very clever, honest and careful which I reckon comes from the ID....has a mahousive pop in him not sure where to attribute that, has a lovely relaxed & chilled out nature on the ground.....BUT is a bit of a drama queen (TB) when ridden, gets very cross when pushed to do something right (TB)....

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I've got a section D cross TB.

She is spooky about silly things (i.e. invisible hedge monsters) but steady as a rock in traffic etc. I guess that is the Welsh... she is bossy too and very argumentative which could just be the mare in her but sounds as if it could be the Welsh as well. On the TB side, she is leggy, finely built and has amazing stamina. I think she got the TB look and the Welsh personality!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Have you ever concidered working for the CB Society LOL.. I think you would have a great career with them! I love reading your stories about them. You have one lovely lady!

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
I'd say my horse wasn't typical for his breed

he's a TBxID - he's sensible, chilled and generally a complete gent

he is a sensitive soul and enjoys a quiet hug

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer - gypsy cob - cheeky, loveable, intelligent, steady and very sweet nature. Needs a firm fair hand or he would potentially walk all over you, but never with malice.

Cairo - clydesdale - for me the best of the heavy breeds - agile, steady, sweet tempered with the very occasional bolshy day but again never with malice.

Both have a great love of food, cuddles and are very "people" horses love fuss for hours and will try their hardest for you at all disciplines.