Breed choice.........

L&M

Visit site
I have a very lovable but extremely lively short haired fox terrier. He is neutered and 18 mnths old. He has a minimum of 2 walks a day and has a 1/2 acre garden to exercise in, plus spending time on the yard/field whilst we do the horses - he is just typical of the breed by being very high energy.

He adores other dogs and was bought up with my elderly spaniel, who sadly passed away a few mnths ago. Strangely enough, even as pup, he was very good with her, but possibly because she ignored his attempts to engage in play from day 1 !!!

He is very demanding of our attention, especially in the evenings when typically we just want to chill out, so am considering a playmate/companion but am unsure on what to get. The options are:

- a pup that, as an adult, is as lively as he is, but then run the risk of them running riot.......
- a pup that, as an adult, will be quieter than him so will hopefully calm him down, but then run the risk of the quieter dog getting fed up of being 'terrorised'.....
- rehoming an older dog that may well put him in his place if he does get too boisterous.....

Also size wise, I don't know whether to go for a bigger dog or not. I have always fancied a whippet but worry that as a breed, may not be robust enough. I am not sure if I could cope with 2 terriers but equally don't want anything long haired or much bigger than a lab.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
I’m very much a novice dog owner, but I wonder if you might be better off teaching him an off switch? Even high energy dogs can learn to settle I would think. I would worry that you might just end up with 2 dogs both demanding your attention when you want to chill out. But I might be wrong! (I have a collie)

L&M

Visit site
Thanks for your reply and do see where you are coming from.....

When he gets too demanding he gets sent too 'bed' which he does respect, but we have as of yet too find the 'off' button!!!!!! He can go on a 3 hr walk, but after a 20 min nap, be on the go again for the rest of the day......

What do you do with your collie as know they also have a reputation for being high energy?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Honestly? He's an 18 month old dog from working type genetics, as you've said, typically high energy/lively. You might want to get another dog to give your head peace but might also double your workload.

If he's demanding your time in the evening, you could engage/interact with him.
It won't kill you to do twenty minutes of training with him instead of watching a soap opera (apologies if you don't watch soaps lol) and that will probably tire him out more than a forty minute walk.
I have a dog like this and it took him til about three years old until he would sit at peace but there were some nights until recently that I still had to take him out and do a bit of training with him to stop him doing my head in :p

You could also teach him a place command where he has to go to his bed and lie there.
Bear in mind that he might also be overstimulated by running around all day.

L&M

Visit site
Until 3?! Gulp!!!!!

What I tend to do is allow him 30 mins playtime after dinner, then toys are put away. I sometimes then offer him a pigs ear/chew to keep him occupied. If he pesters us he gets sent to his bed, but the minute he is allowed out, he is leaping around again and trying to encourage us to play.

I wonder if we have inadvertently trained him to be like this in the evenings - I have not been very well so stayed in and watched the racing this afternoon, and he happily curled up with me all afternoon, whereas this evening he has been the usual livewire.

Also I don't think this time of year helps - in the summer he is a lot quieter as has access to the garden all evening as we can leave the French windows open in the lounge.

Thanks for the suggestions and maybe should give a little more thought before commiting to another!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
A dog wanting to engage with you is never bad thing ;) the world is your oyster in terms of training or doing any sort of dog activity or sport in future.

Training is more than playtime....it's something that he can focus/concentrate on and use his brain, not just go mental :p
There are loads of good tutorials on YouTube for brain training. Even short sessions of focussed heelwork can tire a dog out.

L&M

Visit site
Great - will have a look for some brain training activities. He is very bright so suspect mental stimulation is as essential as physical for him.

I would also love to have a go at flyball with him, but sadly can't find any groups local to us.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If it's any consolation, Daisy has around 3 - 4 hours of exercise a day, but will always look to us for play in the evening. This usually lasts for around 20 mins / half an hour and will be whatever she wants it to be - raggy, squeakie etc, plus a bit of fun training chucked in. She'll also curl up in the afternoon for a sleep.

She's a 5 year old Bichon, so not high energy, just engaging.......

Play is not about just letting off steam, it's about engagement.

Annette4

Visit site
My whippets play very roughly with boxers and other very large breeds so that shouldn’t be a concern IMO.

My pair are terrors when they’re on one but lovely when they’re quiet 😂 so you are likely, especially with a whippet puppy to double your workload. I’m an advocate for inside games/brain training. It’s the only thing that tires Dobby out enough to give me and Fizz some peace.

Look at British Flyball Association and UK Flyball League for clubs as you may likely find one in the other organisation although I do travel 23 miles to train with my club, well worth it. Agility would be another option as that seems a bit more accessible when I looked into it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He sounds delightfully bonkers, and it does sound like he'd appreciate a friend to bounce around with so I see where your coming from. If you get another terrier though, go for a westie or a border or something, as they are a little more sedate than a Fox terrier (mind you, the average box of frogs is more sedate than a Fox terrier o_O)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Great - will have a look for some brain training activities. He is very bright so suspect mental stimulation is as essential as physical for him.

I used to do a lot of scent work with mine but kind of fell out of the habit as Quarrie especially, moved on to different things. One day this Christmas I dug the stuff out again-30 mins, two dogs, 2 vehicle searches (if you have a horse box they are awesome for scent work) and 2 periphery searches around the house and they were out for the count the rest of the day. Have now got the stuff ready to try and do it 2/3 times a week again!

Clodagh

Visit site
We use rolled up socks or dummies. The labs are very good generally but when they are young (and I agree 3/4 is when thjjey grow up!) if they have had a quiet day they can pester in the evenings, a few hide the dummies and a bit of searching and they are sorted. :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
One of mine is quite lively in the evenings. Often he just wants a game of tug, or to play the push game (roll round at top of stairs-me below so he can't fall, get pushed, tug toy, growl, flop on me, he's a special one!)

A friend's fox terrier still plays like a puppy and hangs off other dog's ears/playfights. He has a lot of playmates, there are ten other dogs, mostly springers/cockers.

I'd say get something similarly lively. Get another springer!

BBP

Visit site
Thanks for your reply and do see where you are coming from.....

When he gets too demanding he gets sent too 'bed' which he does respect, but we have as of yet too find the 'off' button!!!!!! He can go on a 3 hr walk, but after a 20 min nap, be on the go again for the rest of the day......

What do you do with your collie as know they also have a reputation for being high energy?

I’m quite lucky in that although he is very high energy he is one that does have a pretty good off switch. He’s only a year old and I’ve been really careful not to over exercise him as I figured a) I didn’t want to overdo it whilst young, b) didn’t want to set his expectations too high (or that we’d be out racing around 5 hours of the day), and c) I didnt want a super fit hyper dog at 1 year old, as he fittens up and does longer walks I’m hoping his ability to settle and chill out will stay with him. So he can happily manage with a 1 hour walk on a long line (recall has gone out of the window just now!), plus several game and training sessions across the day, he will then happily sleep the day away. If he gets a bit demanding I’ll play a quick game with him, some scent work, searching, tricks, scatter feeding, obedience, mixing it all up etc, then some of his food ration in a dispensing toy or one of those licky mats and he’s settled again.

The only thing that ruins it all and makes him lose his sh*t is wheelie bins!

deb_l222

Visit site
Yep, get another spaniel :)

Always loads of adult (ish) ones kicking about. I've managed to raise lazy springers that have a permanent 'off' switch just about - even the baby is idle :)

Lovely black & white, 9 month old chap (Charlie) looking for a home if you're anywhere near South Yorkshire. He is slightly off his rocker though. Could easily be tamed with exercise and routine however.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have a live wire of a terrier who is currently fast asleep on the sofa, i think he has taken his behaviour from my collie cross who is 12 1/2 and has slowed down and likes her sleep. they do play together, usually in the evenings and if he is getting to be too much for her ,i just tell them to stop and he seems to take his cue from her. if you got another similar dog you may not be able to turn either of them off!!!!!! i also have some nina ollotsen(not sure on that spelling) games that i use if he doesnt calm down, they are puzzles that you put food in and they have to solve how to get the food. they can really help tire him out...

pippixox

Visit site
I would be tempted by a slightly older rescue, they are still quite young in my opinion to get a puppy. plus you will have the issue of having to only take the puppy so far while they want to keep going for a few more hours!

I agree with what you said they you may have accidentally trained them to pester you for a play in the evening!
I would be a bore and try really hard to just ignore them! I have an energetic collie and lab. both will happily run with OH for 8 miles and have more left in them, once did a 6 hour off lead walk on holiday in Wales and then they were finally tired! but still ready to go the next day.
however, at home, they become sofa cushions! if they get lively inside they are shut out in the garden. Bit harsh- but I have two small children and not a very big house. so home and indoor time is always down time, other than a stroke and ear scratch infant of the tv in the evening. so they get attention of course, but not play time in doors.

pippixox

Visit site
also, we initially had the collie on her own (got as a 2 year old rescue) and gained the lab (same age) about a year later, and yes they do get on and will sometimes play fight in the garden and tend to stay roughly close on a walk, but other than a bit of chase they don't exactly tire each other out and they still seek my attention more than each others.

TGM

Visit site
My whippet absolutely loves playing with terriers more than any other breed. So I don't think you would have to be worried about a whippet (at least a young one) not being robust enough. But whilst introducing a pup might solve your problem in the long run, it will probably be three times as much disruption and work in the short term!

Clodagh

Visit site
I know of one, CCS, if you hear of anyone looking. Owner would prefer to rehome direct rather than through Spaniel Aid. 3 year old bitch.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Any details, Clodagh? I know someone who wants a bitch that gets on with other dogs. She's not close but says she'll travel if needed. Don't think she works her current boy.