Breed popularity:is it regional?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I know there was a thread about this some time ago and I’m interested to see if anyone else has seen a change in which breeds they see.

According to Gumtree, springers are 17/244 most popular breed in the U.K. There is another in our little close of a handful of houses and I see one occasionally on our walks. There’s also a staffies in our close.

A few years ago, staffies were all the rage round here. This then became mastiff types, or huskies, who are still around. There are also Akitas, but I’m seeing a big increase in crosses. The most unusual one so far has been a basset x collie. He looks mostly basset, but with eyes that aren’t basset. I’m in Herts, I don’t know if this area is representative of the entire U.K.

Have the breeds you see locally changed?

And a picture of the 3 babies just for interest:
1540582440234.jpeg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Bit of everything round here, mostly labs, spaniels, scruffy terriers, staffies, some collies, lurchers and greys, Akitas, huskies. Plus two Old English and a Saluki lol.
The doodle things tend to be very reactive as I've said before, and so are a lot of the GSDs but as I always end up gassing to people I know which dogs to give a lot of space.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Legend of the Old English, never seen, spoken about lots since the owner was bitten by the Akita x Mal that bit big dog. I’d love to see one, they’re so uncommon these days.

{97702}

Visit site
Lots of variety around me really - and more mongrels (proper ones, not stupid designer crosses) than I’d usually expect? (Gloucestershire)

Thinking about the dogs locally, the drug dealer a few doors down has a gorgeous staffy that I’m going to steal from him, there are a couple of fluffy cross breed types, a black mongrel, a black lab over the road that weirdly I see once in a blue moon, and a Shiba that I see being walked daily.

There are also a couple of nice Cockers that I always notice when I pass them, and a couple of GSDs. Other than that a lot of little terriers 😊

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's all doodles round here - most of my clients seem to have them. There are also plenty of terriers, spaniels and the odd lab or collies plus a few boxers. Far fewer staffies and husky-types than where I used to be before I moved a couple of years ago - it's only about 30 miles distance but there's definitely differences in the types of dogs I see most of round here.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
On our walk in the mornings, we often meet another husky, and tend to go out at about the same time as the cockerpoo who lives over the road. Another house opposite own 2 labs, and a few doors up have a lab, a staffie, and a GSD. I also know of an Akita that lives further up our road, 2 cockers, and often meet 2 ladies walking 2 westies.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm in Shropshire/worcestershire and round here it is predominantly labs and spaniels, and I remember being quite struck by that when I moved here from Sussex. In Sussex at the time there was all sorts, but definitely a lot of Jack Russell types, not sure if that's the same now as I only go a handful of times a year to visit my brother.

Apart from labs and cocker or Springer spaniels there's a real mix - I see quite a lot of wippets, greyhounds, border collies, dachshunds, husky/malamute types and viszlas (strangely enough). Various types of terriers and the noodle crosses are also quite common, but I almost never see any bull breeds, GSDs, pointers, toy breeds

skinnydipper

Visit site
Spaniels - springers and working cockers in pet homes. Labradors, Poodle crosses. Bichons. Greyhounds. Border collies, working, in pet homes. I never meet any GSDs on our walks but do seem them being walked in the streets. One DDB, lovely placid girl.

Last edited:

Annette4

Visit site
It’s a mix here but lots of labs, spaniels, doodles and I’m seeing more sighthounds.

I’m seeing less collies than I remember in previous years but that’s no bad thing as the ones I remember were overweight and neurotic. The only ones we see now are Flyball friends and fit and mentally stimulated.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
lots of working cockers in wilts,
where I am now I see a different sort of people, older and lots of small shitzuey type things being walked by them. I do keep going past someone who looks to have two giant matching collie-looking types (black with white flash on their front) that I keep trying to work out. They are definitely in charge regardless.
Yet to work out who is the main offender for shitting on the patch of grass right next to my house and occasionally on my gravel :p

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh you've just reminded me, the Yorkie from next street and a Dalmatian are the main 'outside the house shitters' :p

And how could I forget lovely Dave the boxer, who loves everyone, even when they're doing an impersonation of an anti-social demonic bogbrush.

Aru

Visit site
Staffys-english and amstaff still propably the most common dogs where I am then the various types of small fluffy mixers category...often poodle mixes but shih tzu and bichon mixes are getting more popular here.

We dont have any springer spaniels in our clinic oddly enough.We have a few cockers but vastly outnumbered by their crosses with the poodles.The climate doesnt suit the spaniels very well(soo many cocker ear infections with the humidity)...and their hunting style tends to lead to death by snake pretty frequently which may explain partly why so uncommon here. No pets coming from a hunting backround so the numbers arent high..

fankino04

Visit site
I find the closer I go towards town (Swindon) the more staffies, doodles, shitzuey types, and huskies / akitas I see, on the outskirts or further out to the country it becomes spaniels and labs, have started seeing more gsds than I've seen for a while.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Here in the sticks it is either a collie, a terrier or a spaniel type, always loose and allowed to free roam 😏

There is one weimaraner who tries to attack everything it sees, people, dogs, bikes, cars. Bloody thing is a nuisance!!

Just seems thats the way things are here, dogs are allowed to do as they please which infuriates me!

millikins

Visit site
Surrey, fairly rural bit and huge numbers of poodle crosses. Also lots of labs. And considering I live in a high density dog population area majority are polite.

bonny

Visit site
I think it’s looking like we have the same variety of dogs wherever you go, it depends on what’s trendy and at present that seems to be spaniel type dogs and crosses.

meggymoo

Visit site
Labrador and greyhound here, Worcestershire. Collie next door - shut out 12 hours a day while they are at work. Barks for most of those 12 hours, bit me once when he got out and lunged at our nervous greyhound and I got in between to protect her. Two designer mutts at the top of our garden, Patterjacks I think she called them. Yap none stop whilst throwing themselves at our now falling down fence. Two more designer mongrels who are allowed to go to the toilet on everyone else gardens. Two Westie/Scottie sort of things who also yap none stop and walk on their fully extended flexi-leads along the road. Blummin miracle they are still alive! Far too many yappers down here! Oh and the druggie across the road has two Staffies, which to be fair are probably the best behaved of the lot!

deb_l222

Visit site
Everything is a spaniel of some description round here. It’s very rare to see sticky up ears!!

Mainly springers and cockers (working and show). Few labs, few huskies lately. Never see a staffy but there’s a chap with two English bull’s and they’re fantastic dogs.

Don’t see many ‘poo’ or ‘ug’ dogs while walking but they’re doing a roaring trade through rescues nowadays.

I suppose a mixed bag of woofs but the spaniels definitely outnumber everything else 🐶😃

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
That’s cos spaniels (IMO) are best. I was dying laughing watching Bear doing the wall of death around the 20 foot high path above the grove we walked through earlier, 100mph, ears flying as me and Brig trundled round the low path. He’s a bit tired now.

He’s not allowed on the sofa, obviously.
1540651395472.jpeg

Moobli

Visit site
I live on a sparsely populated Scottish Sporting Estate and so the majority of breeds are gundogs owned by keepers (spaniels, labs and GWP) and most have a Patterdale type terrier or two as well, and border collies (working sheepdogs) owned by the shepherds.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I'm quite rural, within a mile or so of me there is a selection of breeds, mini schnauzer , border terrier, collie, showline cocker, labrador x springer, several gsds (mine and an IPO trainer just up the road) and a maremma breeder who has quite a few dogs but don't know how many. In the nearest town there are quite a few staffies and huskies, and at the other end of the scale shi tzus also seem popular.

rara007

Visit site
Popular locally are in no particular order- cockerpoos, cockers of both types, labs, frenchies, JRTs, Pugs, Staffies. In my village we have a total mix- 5 collies I know of, about 10 english pointers (there's a breeder), 1x cockerpoo, 1x goldendoodle, about 6 labs, another 5 springers to mine, 1x frenchie, 2x angry JRTs, a staffie rescue foster, a curly coated, about 5 show cockers, my sisters schnauzer, a few show airdale and black russians etc. At agility it's a whole other mix, collies and spingers, cockerpoos and the odd 'special' breed- a waterdog, a gordon setter, a few beardies, some tollers. At work (small animal vets in the local town) we do see plenty of pugs, frenchies and british bulldogs along with various types of 'poo', but how much that is because we become on first name terms with those yet only see the labs once a year for a check over and booster- hard to tell! I'm pretty sure here in essex we do have more of the designer bull breeds and four figure poo crosses.

deb_l222

Visit site
That’s cos spaniels (IMO) are best. I was dying laughing watching Bear doing the wall of death around the 20 foot high path above the grove we walked through earlier, 100mph, ears flying as me and Brig trundled round the low path. He’s a bit tired now.

He’s not allowed on the sofa, obviously.
View attachment 26693

Button’s had a daft half hour tonight, charging round the 60 acre field (I’ve no idea if it measures 60 acres but it can’t be far off). She made my toes curl as she hurtled down the hill. I’m shouting ‘steady’ as I’m waiting for something to go crack or for her to go a**e over elbow.

She was perfectly fine, as usual 😃

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Very rural here and in a half mile radius - 7 properties - we have 3 jack russels, 2 ridgebacks, a german shepherd, a greyhound and a boxer. One of the properties does not mix with the rest of us and I have no idea if they have a dog or not. I know they have children but they have never been seen or heard by the rest of us either.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Very mixed here too (west sussex) but lots of spaniels, doodle crosses, labs and whippets. Don't see many other collies and see lots of Westies being walked on leads on pavements but rarely see them running round on "proper" walks IYSWIM.

On the subject of the Old English, a friend has 2 but we rarely see any others. Met an OEDxSaluki the other week that was nuts (in a good way), and met an OEDxpoodle a few months ago which was amazing, looked just like an OED with the athleticism of the poodle. Our family dog as a child was an OED so I'm inordinately fond of them and would love another.

oldie48

Visit site
We are on the borders of Worcestershire/Glos/ and Herefordshire. We have four Jack Russells within earshot, unfortunately and TBH they are all badly behaved and noisy, however three of them are rescues. We also have a very nervous whippet and a beautifully trained red fox lab and border collie (same owners) and a lovely BC down the road. Our local farmers has a lab and a BC and the other has a BT. We also have lots of BTs in the area as we used to have a breeder here who was terrier man to our local hunt. I sometimes take Stan down to the local recreation ground on the edge of our little town and the breeds I see most frequently are spaniels (WC and springer) and terriers of every kind. I met a Welsh terrier pup recently, an airdale and a patterdale or two. My neighbour breeds WCs and Welsh Springers but only sells to working homes so they don't tend to stay local.