Breed recommendations.

maisie06

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a breed for an active older couple? They are considering, possibly more than considering, a standard poodle. I'm not sure it's the best choice and want to suggest some other options.

It's my mum and dad. Dad is very like me and will do his research with respect to the breed and the training etc. But might get stuck on a particular idea of a breed and might not match the theoretical knowledge of training with practical skills (as I find myself). Both my parents can be quite... intense? My dad is a complete perfectionist and will put pressure on the dog to be perfect. My mum is generally more chilled out but has a flamboyant way of being that winds my dogs up...

I think they need a laid back but trainable dog. And it needs to be able to cope with the grand children when they visit.

They had a whippet that turned out to be really aggressive and bit my Dad several times before he, the dog, was PTS ( Dad did suggest my mother take him, dad, to Dignitas instead ? ). They might consider another whippet but I'm not sure, are whippets too sensitive? I think they most likely just got a bad egg as I don't think they did anything SO wrong in dealing with him that warranted the aggression. And he was showing reactivity very young.

Rescue dog is a possible but mostly no.
Small dogs are also a no as dad is stuck on them being "yappy".
They won't consider crossbreeds!

I did suggest a Cairn Terrier as the happiest most laid back dog I've ever had much to do with was a Cairn.

They are very active and walk 6 miles a day easily. The whippet got it's legs walked off (again, did this contribute? I don't know).

I'm not entirely sure how much influence I have so in 2 years time when I'm asking advice about the adolescent standard poodle I've just taken on... it's not my fault! But I want to see if anyone can think of any really solid breed recommendations that might sway them.

Thanks.

A Border Terrier!! The ones I have met are delightful, outgoing happy little things with good temprements, good around children,not too big and trainable as Terriers go, not yappy either, I would get your Dad to consider them even though they are a small breed.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm not a fan of labradors, firstly because I had to deal with a dog attack where two labs were the aggressors, but secondly because the answer to what breed in pretty much any context and any requirements is invariably a 'Labrador!'. Which is quite probably why they are easily the breed I encounter most often being a bleddy nuisance. It's a sort of 'get the perfect breed = the world will be filled with rainbows = labradors are the perfect breed for any scenario' type logic.

So yes, let your parents get the Poodle. At least it is a more interesting choice, if nothing else.

Clodagh

Visit site
Strealing is an intention permanently to deprive. She carried my slippers around, to bring them to me and I wasn't there so...she chewed the tops. I still have them. I am not permanently deprived. But really, whatever, I am sure you are right.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You can’t with husky pups either, or (juvenile) collies in my experience.

I don't think you can with any pups tbf, certainly not Rottweilers! But even adult Labs can't really be trusted not to wander off with things that don't belong to them. Not every single adult Lab but enough to say that it's a breed trait.

ETA, I think their intention is to enjoy possession. I had a pale yellow bitch who loved to find gloves, leads etc on walks. She once took one of my slippers outside, quite some time before I started to look for it. Then she showed me where she had left it, in the field. It was completely unharmed. She enjoyed the praise for finding things.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I can't comment on stealing. There's nothing kept below spaniel height in this house. ?‍♀️ He doesn't really chew though... he thunders his mighty norty paws on the floor as he gallops about with his prize. *thunder thunder thunder* "what's he got?"

Bellasophia

Visit site
Lol. I can't imagine asking my dad if he fancies something foreign and hairy.

He does like schnauzers though.
I also have a schnauzer..they are not for the faint hearted...what size would he be interested in...once again its three completely different scenarios.
what could be hard about this? ..
do be careful what you wish for.
E884FC01-8124-4720-A041-2C4B7DDBAE2E.jpeg

Bellasophia

Visit site
Ps. For the family brief you’ve given I would think the medium fits your brief,but they are the most demanding of the three sizes to train..The giant is a worker,loves to walk and work...the mini a ratter( similar traits to JRT) ..but the medium is a unique entity...they are closest to the original German dog..tough as nails,loyal to the one they respect,wonderful guard dogs,but verywilful.

My tiny girl had things sussed from day one..in my avatar at 8 weeks she took the toy from my big boy..

...”and you are???”
AE009BF3-7754-4841-95BC-35625DF150FD.jpegEFDBC5B0-D9C7-4D62-9D0C-C2BF3E561299.jpeg

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I quite fancy a schnauzer myself too.

I spoke to parentals and I think Dad had been getting a bit previous and has been persuaded to hold his horses for a little while. I have faith they will be sensible anyway. I think it would be really good for Dad to have another dog so I do hope they get one. I just want them to have a good experience, and not another stressful nightmare. Which they really didn't do anything to deserve, they checked all the responsible puppy buying and raising boxes with the whippet.

palo1

Visit site
I quite fancy a schnauzer myself too.

I spoke to parentals and I think Dad had been getting a bit previous and has been persuaded to hold his horses for a little while. I have faith they will be sensible anyway. I think it would be really good for Dad to have another dog so I do hope they get one. I just want them to have a good experience, and not another stressful nightmare. Which they really didn't do anything to deserve, they checked all the responsible puppy buying and raising boxes with the whippet.

If you like wiry, bearded medium sized sorts of dogs then you would love an Irish terrier. :) :) They have great charm and don't seem to remotely take themselves seriously which ime schnauzers can do. I am not biased, obviously :p https://www.k9web.com/breeds/irish-terrier/

misst

Visit site
Not read every reply but there are a few standard poodles round here all owned by people over 60. All well behaved dogs - fun, active, well mannered and sociable. I would love one having met the local ones - and I am a terrier person. I cannot find fault with them and I love to watch them move.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Just let him get a poodle. They are wicked dogs.

Shame about the whippet. Very unusual behaviour for the breed. I'm not sure another whippet would suit a perfectionist anyway, they can be a bit aloof when they don't want to do something. More cat like than dog in behaviour at times!

Nicnac

Visit site
Defo the poodle but if they can get one crossed with something else or not overbred all the better.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
If they’re strong and active then I think a standard poodle would be great - the ones I know are all lovely, calm and trainable dogs. We have a Toller (the happiest dog in the world, who is my dog of a lifetime but has been unbelievably accident-prone and has racked up thousands in vet bills) and a smooth collie - very reactive and bloody hard work - I love ours dearly but would never have another

PapaverFollis

Visit site
That's a bit rude! I do think my parents are capable of managing a living dog, cheers.

They've decided to wait for a little while anyway.

Thanks for the useful replies re. Poodles. By the sounds of it I think it could be the right choice.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That's a bit rude! I do think my parents are capable of managing a living dog, cheers.

They've decided to wait for a little while anyway.

Thanks for the useful replies re. Poodles. By the sounds of it I think it could be the right choice.

Check out Slash The Schutzhund Poodle on YouTube. In fact, show your Dad too!