Breeders Cup

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Auguste is a gorgeous looking horse, surprised they're considering keeping him going surely he's too valuable as a stallion especially as his sire has passed away

Maddie Moo

Visit site
White Abarrio!! Really thrilled for the owners C2 Racing Stables, they do a lot for thoroughbred aftercare and donate on a weekly basis towards TBs that end up neglect situations, ensuring they have a safe retirement.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Hmmm not sure how I feel about that what with the trainer having come back from a 10 year ban for drug offences - hoping all his runners are tested.

That looked an insane speed

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Yes they are all tested, especially when they win. The suspension was unusually severe considering other trainers have been caught doing worse and get much less than a 10 year suspension for it (cough Baffert cough).

He’d be a real idiot to cheat again after waiting for 10 years to come back, I think that most people would move onto a totally different career in the industry.

How Baffert is still allowed near horses is beyond me.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Yes they are all tested, especially when they win. The suspension was unusually severe considering other trainers have been caught doing worse and get much less than a 10 year suspension for it (cough Baffert cough).

He’d be a real idiot to cheat again after waiting for 10 years to come back, I think that most people would move onto a totally different career in the industry.

How Baffert is still allowed near horses is beyond me.

Yes I don't really follow American racing but seen enough articles about Baffert to not want any of his to win!!

What was it about this guy's offences that caused him to have such a long ban when others have had much smaller ones?

Saw your comment about the owners that's good, it's a shame more don't do that, over here Godolphin seem to take responsibility for quite a lot of aftercare

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Yes I don't really follow American racing but seen enough articles about Baffert to not want any of his to win!!

What was it about this guy's offences that caused him to have such a long ban when others have had much smaller ones?

Saw your comment about the owners that's good, it's a shame more don't do that, over here Godolphin seem to take responsibility for quite a lot of aftercare

He was fined $50,000 as well as the ban for medication violations and possession of syringes with banned substances. It was controversial as it become clear that he was not very popular with certain people in the industry as he was a successful trainer and it seemed unusually harsh. You know it’s odd when other trainers are writing letters of support!

Then there’s Baffert with more than 30 drug violations including Justify, Medina Spirit (who then died), plus the 7 horses in his care that all dropped down dead that sparked an entire review due to close proximity of the deaths. The necropsy of Havenameltdown who brokedown early this year was horrific reading, the horse was full of worms so severe he had bleeding within the intestines and caecum 🤬

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
He was fined $50,000 as well as the ban for medication violations and possession of syringes with banned substances. It was controversial as it become clear that he was not very popular with certain people in the industry as he was a successful trainer and it seemed unusually harsh. You know it’s odd when other trainers are writing letters of support!

Then there’s Baffert with more than 30 drug violations including Justify, Medina Spirit (who then died), plus the 7 horses in his care that all dropped down dead that sparked an entire review due to close proximity of the deaths. The necropsy of Havenameltdown who brokedown early this year was horrific reading, the horse was full of worms so severe he had bleeding within the intestines and caecum 🤬

Jeez that's utterly disgusting, how is he still allowed to train as that goes beyond the drug issues and becomes a welfare issue. And people still send him horses as well!

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Jeez that's utterly disgusting, how is he still allowed to train as that goes beyond the drug issues and becomes a welfare issue. And people still send him horses as well!

Some people care about results more than the horses. The rage I feel every time I see his smug face on tv 🤬

On a happier note, love that Nobals (the gelding🤣) won the turf sprint.

humblepie

Visit site
Went to bed about 10 so missed the later races. Did anyone see the interview with Aiden O’Brien after the River of Troy was spun. Would put a link but useless at that.

Steerpike

Visit site
I was shocked at what they expected to trot the horses up on, considering it's one of the biggest race meets out there I am surprised they didn't have a dedicated trot up lane of a firm consistent surface.

humblepie

Visit site
I was shocked at what they expected to trot the horses up on, considering it's one of the biggest race meets out there I am surprised they didn't have a dedicated trot up lane of a firm consistent surface.
Was poor wasn’t it. You’d not be impressed with that at any level.

Steerpike

Visit site
No, and the way the head vet was trying to explain it in an interview was unprofessional, they should do a 3 card trick like in endurance at the end of a race ride, 3 vets watch the trot up mark a card without conferring and pass it to the technical steward who tells you if you've passed or failed. The whole thing was very unprofessional.

reynold

Visit site
Also the interviewed vet stated that trainers had the choice of what 'hardness' of surface the horse was trotted up on - with the option of it being trotted up on dirt - thus masking lameness in some horses.

I was impressed with how well the horses loaded into the stalls. I am aware that the US stalls are wider than those in the UK but the idea of a stalls ticket being needed in advance of every race seems good - but would obviously be difficult to implement over here as horses aren't trained at the racecourse.

However it didn't alter the fact that not having to watch reluctant horses being heaved and manhandled into the stalls was a nicer picture, and also less dangerous to the stalls handlers who are sometimes badly injured over here.