Breeding a mare to a 'virgin' stallion... health risks?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
For the mare I mean (assuming of course that she's clean herself). If the stallion hasn't covered before, how important is that he should be tested for nasties? If essential that he be tested, what for?
Thank you!!
smile.gif

AndyPandy

Visit site
Well.. if he hasn't covered before, he's pretty unlikely to have any STD's
smile.gif

Stallion's penises are pretty grim - ("AI is much better than a great big, dirty, stinking penis" as a lady once shouted at me when I was AI'ing a mare.) so it's worth remembering that natural covering could still quite possibly cause an infection.

Lots of places will require that he is tested for CEM/EVA though, and possible EIA.

reynold

Visit site
if he's not covered before I'd reckon he should be 'clean' but then is it totally reliable that he hasn't covered before ?

with a stallion that isn't covering regularly (and of course with some that are ) you'd be going on guesswork as to his fertility.

with AI at least you'd be able to assess the semen

I'd try and persuade the stallion owner to have his boy tested and you have PF tested - that way you can claim you're having PF tested to protect his stallion and he should reciprocate perhaps ?

sallyf

Visit site
Im afraid i would want him tested for all the usual things CEM ,Klebsiella, EVA a stallion doesnt have to have covered to be dirty.
There have been a number of TB stallions that have raced all over the world that have never swabbed clean enough to be able to cover and have subsequently either been cut or returned to racing.
Solo Mio is one that springs to mind along with another stallion Mutamam who stands in Italy he is clean now but it took some time to get him right he initially retired to The National Stud in England but never covered a mare here.
Many do come right but some dont so better to be safe than sorry.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I would want all the necessary tests done.
I sold a mare to Ireland last year (just out of racing, maiden) and the stud didn't ask for any tests as she hadn't been covered before. They are sure the stallion got a dose off her (this is one of the biggest NH studs in Ireland
crazy.gif
).
Guess that means she had been covered before (wouldn't surprise me if she'd been put in foal to race before we had her, she was a b#tch for coming into season - and stopped), and you can't know for sure about the stallion.

springfallstud

sfs-stud.com
I have known of a couple of young german stallions that have NEVER covered be tested postive for Klebsiella, vet seemed to think it was quite common when lots of stallions are boarded together, all in one big testing station etc some of the nastys are air born...although he couldnt answer why the other stallions these two were stabled with wernt at risk
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Alot of dieseases can be transmitted even to a virgin!

CEM can be transmitted via the handlers, vets etc that have handled the tail or genital area of an infected horse
and
EVA can be transmitted via respiration system, ie when a horse blows its nose.

So I would expect even a first time stallion to have been tested for CEM, EVA and EIA before I would use him.

Penniless

Visit site
Nice to read that someone thinks a stallion should be tested for everything - I was beginning to think I might have been wasting my money - having my stallion tested for everything at the start of each year. Can't believe that any mare owner would even think of taking a mare to a stud that doesn't do the usual precautions - for both their own stallion and the visiting mares. We've turned away many mares because the owners didn't see why their mares had to be swabbed and blood tested.

Amelia

Visit site
The testing of both mare and stallion in my eyes is an absolute must.

Penniless: Could the mare owners you mention not see the validity in getting thier mares swabbed/tested?

Penniless

Visit site
Amelia - unfortunately no. They were just insistent that their mare has never been near a stallion so therefore wouldn't have anything wrong with it! Some even said, "But we don't want a covering certificate so we don't need the swabs". This year was particularly bad for us as many owners cancelled when we insisted not only did we want the usual CEM and Cervical Swabs, along with the EVA test, but we also wanted EIA test done. They complained about the cost, which we found very odd as our vets were charging less than £10 for this test to be done. We've even had owners turn up for walk-in coverings and when asked to produce swab certificates have made up some excuses about "forgetting to bring them". When we've asked them to phone their vet there and then before we do the covering, they then say they haven't had them done! Guess what our answer is! Needless to say, a wasted journey for mare. And yes, they are given every bit of information we require from them as soon as they book their mares in to our boy.