Breeding burgers

EQUISCENE

Visit site
It is a sad fact and this post is probably going to be jumped on but I can't help feeling that indiscriminate breeding is contributing to the influx of horsemeat being used in human food. There is a surplus of horses in both the UK and Ireland. The market for well bred performance horses is poor, it is even more reason for anyone contemplating having 'their favourite' mare covered this year to really think hard why they are wanting a foal. Circumstances change especially in the current economic environment and not many know that they will definitely have the funds to raise a youngster well over the next few years..

cm2581

Visit site
We have no idea where the horse meat originated. It's quite possibly got nothing to do with the equine 'situation' in the uk. I think its more the fact that people want (and often need) to pay less and less for food. It's a sad fact but the (albeit illegal) inclusion of horse meat in all these 'budget' products has probably been the only way several poor families have anything to eat. It's a sign of the disastrous economy, not that that makes it right. Processed beef products are probably going to get more expensive.

dianchi

Visit site
True, HOWEVER.................
Horses are raised for meat in other countries, just like we raise Beef and Lamb

Whilst mislabelled products are totally unacceptable, the comsumer lifestyle that we lead has lead to this problem, people want cheap meat.
Personnally I would rather have One good meat dinner (ie roast beef) than three crappy cheap meat dinners. How good quality to people really think that 20 burgers for a £1 are?????!!!!!

slingo1uk

Visit site
We have no idea where the horse meat originated. It's quite possibly got nothing to do with the equine 'situation' in the uk. I think its more the fact that people want (and often need) to pay less and less for food. It's a sad fact but the (albeit illegal) inclusion of horse meat in all these 'budget' products has probably been the only way several poor families have anything to eat. It's a sign of the disastrous economy, not that that makes it right. Processed beef products are probably going to get more expensive.

Indiscriminate breeders are responsible for devaluation of our horses which is why we can pick one up in a market for a fiver... :(
Do you think they`d have used horsemeat if they`d had to pay top price ?
I seriously doubt it...
Anyway bottom line is ... the deceit ,they`ve conned everyone to line their pockets

cm2581

Visit site
Indiscriminate breeders are responsible for devaluation of our horses which is why we can pick one up in a market for a fiver... :(
Do you think they`d have used horsemeat if they`d had to pay top price ?
I seriously doubt it...
Anyway bottom line is ... the deceit ,they`ve conned everyone to line their pockets

I mean it is most likely eastern european horse meat, and that is why it is probably unconnected to the uk equine situation. The countries zoo and safari park residents are probably benefiting most from UK over/indiscriminate breeding. But as I said, we don't know where the meat has actually originated.

MrPotts

Visit site
A lot of the horses and ponies are actually bred for the table by poorer countries so I don't actually think it will help a tremendous amount, you will also always have the discards from the horse racing industry.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It's interesting that I haven't heard anyone complain about the taste of the products, just that they weren't told it was horse.
Perhaps this could be the kick up the backside needed to stop export for meat and let them be done in this country instead as we have such higher standards of care and food hygiene.

EQUISCENE

Visit site
It's interesting that I haven't heard anyone complain about the taste of the products, just that they weren't told it was horse.
Perhaps this could be the kick up the backside needed to stop export for meat and let them be done in this country instead as we have such higher standards of care and food hygiene.

I totally agree with you hopefully one day uk horses will not have to travel in dubious conditions to be slaughtered

Alec Swan

Visit site
Someone's posted on twitter, that;

"Just to be safe, I've taken my lemon Moose back to Sainsburys".

Can you really blame them? :D:D

Alec.

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
so, having talked to someone who knows considerably more than I do, she said this is just the beginning and it is a deceit on a massive scale. The fact that bute is being found just shows how blooming useless our wonderful passports our. She also rather strongly hinted that I was being a little naive if I didn't think that english horses were in the food chain as well.

And as a poster on another thread pointed out, not great for the beef farmers who have been struggling.. and now they know why.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I was led to believe that most of the horsemeat was from abroad that was put into these cheap meals, if you want to buy cheap meals rather than cook your own then you get what you pay for, if people actually worked out what is cost them for veggies and a simple cut of meat and what they pay for a ready meal the ready meals actually come out more expensive. People just can't be bothered to cook anymore and they always have some excuse why they can't.

hackneylass2

Visit site
Its not a new thing

The Veterinary Residues Committee tests 1.86% of horses slaughtered in the UK for bute.

In 2010 60 horses tested, 5 positive for bute
2011 68 horses tested, 1 positive for bute
2012 (dont how many tested but its 1.86% of the total slaughtered ) 8 positive for bute.

Thats 1.86% which sounds very tip of the iceberg territory to me.

One source:

http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/vrc/

Last edited:

muff747

Visit site
I would not be surprised at all if this is british horse meat.
In my area in West Yorkshire I have seen large herds of coloured cobs in large fields in the outskirts of towns and cities.
I have always suspected they were being bred for meat.

justabob

Visit site
I would not be surprised at all if this is british horse meat.
In my area in West Yorkshire I have seen large herds of coloured cobs in large fields in the outskirts of towns and cities.
I have always suspected they were being bred for meat.

They are here too, half a mile out of Penrith.