Breeding for dummies

_jetset_

Visit site
It depends what stallion you are thinking of using...

My vets package (AI) was £250 then I had an additional scan when I got her home. On top of that I had her livery fees while she was at stud £10 a day, and then the stallion fee and transport of the frozen seamen.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Take into account keeping the mare for 18 months out of work, foot trimming etc and worming plus feeds and supplements.
Transport to the stud and keep at normally £7 a day.
Stud fee from £200 to unlimited!
Swab and vet fees before covering, scans afterwards, transport home.
To get a foal to 6 months I reckon costs me £1000 when you work out the costs as you can't ignore the fact the mare has to be kept before birth.
Unless you have a strong desire to reproduce your own mare, buying a foal works out cheaper!

MissIndependance

www.sarahboximages.co.uk
Or like last year when I lost a mare and her 4 month foetus to colic, and another mare lost twins at 8 months (missed on 2 scans)

Not a good winter
blush.gif
(

lizstuguinness

Visit site
a bit confused, why does the mare have to be out of work for 18 months???????
the italians compete sj with pregnant mares.
i took advice from a stud and they said there is no problem what so ever with riding them whilst pregnant. (although they woulnt recommend heavy fast work!)
i personaly wouldnt jump them and would probably stop at around 9 months, but then put the mare back into gentle lunge work at about 6 weeks after the birth. foal at foot still - it just follows the mum!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It has cost me in the region of £2k to put my mare in foal. This takes in to account every penny spent on the venture - stud fees, collection fees, stud livery costs, vets fees etc.

Amy's foal may never be successful in any sphere - other than to make a lovely riding horse for me. But if we have a successful pregnancy it will be worth every penny to me.