Breeding My First Foal!!!

steph21

Visit site
Hiya,

Just a quick question??

I havnt thought about it seriously yet but one day I would love to breed, whats the oldest and most safe age to breed from? My mare is 11 now?

Thanks

Tempi

Visit site
people have differing views on this.

If you horse is fit and healthy there is nothing to say she cant have her first foal at say 16/17 - however there are more risks the older they are. Also it might take a few attempts to take the older they are too.

My mare is maiden and shes is 14, she was (and still is) extremely fit tho. She took first time aswell, and is now due April 10th next year
smile.gif

amandathepanda

Visit site
I know people who have successfully bred from maiden mares in their early 20's, although I think most people believe it is preferable to not have a first foal after late teens as it does put a lot of strain on the mare.

I'm excited as my arab mare has scanned in foal & is due start of July next year
smile.gif

sammiea

Visit site
I bred my 1st foal from my maiden mare this year. She successfully foaled unaided on the 4th June 2007 to a healthy black colt.
My mare was 11 at the time of covering.

I know fudgiefoo on here was in the same boat as me last year and her mare successfully foaled a healthly colt on 4th July 2007. Her mare is in her teens and again a maiden.

htobago

Visit site
We had a 16yo maiden this year - got in foal no problem.
smile.gif

But each mare is different, so might be worth getting her checked over by a vet just to make sure everything is in good working order.

Do tell us more about your mare! What's her breeding? What are you hoping to breed from her? Do you have any pics you could post for us?

(Sorry to be so nosey!)
blush.gif

steph21

Visit site
shes 15.2hh ID X TB, I just hope to breed a foal as pritty as she was, I have recently been trying to track down her breeder and have managed to get in contact with her, she has sent me pics of her as a foal and youngster which is so lovley to see!

I will post them when I get home as im at work at the mo! would love to see all your foal pics.
smile.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
i bred my tbxid at 15 ai to an international gp dressage wb.
she caught first time and foaled fine.i had a full breeding soundness exam done to scan her ovaries etc to check they were ok.also hadv swabs done to see if she had any infections