Breeding new Frenchies

misst

Visit site
Flint looks rather handsome to me. He is not unlike one I see on my walks who is a pedigree Frenchie but has a longer muzzle than you might expect. He runs and plays with my little JRT and does not make any breathing/breathless noises. I thought he was a cross breed initially as he is not so smooched up as most of them but owner says not. She has not had any problems with him.

DressageCob

Visit site
Given the article is from 2017 and squashed face Frenchies are still everywhere, progress is slow ?

I can't understand why anyone would want to own a dog that struggles to breathe. It is just not ethical. The nose on the one that won Westminster was awful too. It is flat, with a big roll of skin over the top and skinny little stenotic nares. That said, he did seem to be able to run a lap without panting or collapse, so obviously not the most unhealthy one out there!

misst

Visit site
Oddly enough I met a Frenchie x JRT today on our walk. 6 months old and very smart little dog - huge Frenchie ears, a lovely face with a Frenchie look to it but with a longer muzzle and then a smooth coated Tri coloured JRT type body. Super friendly and played for a while with my JRT. Was sold to the owner as a Frenchie/Chihuahua but very obvious JRT cross at 6 months. Not an immediately first choice cross I would think but actually rather nice in the flesh.

windand rain

Visit site
My niece has American champion frenchies and they are sort of between the two not my cup of tea but no where near as flat faced as the one on the left. They have a clear stop about 2 inches or maybe a little more muzzle. My former dog walker also breeds them in the UK hers are very like my niece's dogs very sweet and although they snore they are very capable and tough little dogs that run around without snorting or struggling.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oddly enough I met a Frenchie x JRT today on our walk. 6 months old and very smart little dog - huge Frenchie ears, a lovely face with a Frenchie look to it but with a longer muzzle and then a smooth coated Tri coloured JRT type body. Super friendly and played for a while with my JRT. Was sold to the owner as a Frenchie/Chihuahua but very obvious JRT cross at 6 months. Not an immediately first choice cross I would think but actually rather nice in the flesh.
Ah I can imagine, a friend has a beautiful looking little dog that is a pug x JR. It looks like a long nose slim pug and is really lovely! I expect proper pug fans would hate him!

scats

Visit site
I groom a few frenchies but there is one in particular who distresses me greatly. He has a sucked in tummy from his constant heaving to breathe and he throws up after he drinks, eats or runs. He did have an op last year to try and help but it didn’t make much difference. I’m used to him now and his constant vomiting and the general noise he makes, but it really shocked me when I first met him.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I groom a few frenchies but there is one in particular who distresses me greatly. He has a sucked in tummy from his constant heaving to breathe and he throws up after he drinks, eats or runs. He did have an op last year to try and help but it didn’t make much difference. I’m used to him now and his constant vomiting and the general noise he makes, but it really shocked me when I first met him.
That’s awful :(

GSD Woman

Visit site
The dog on the left is hardly a good example of a dog one would see in the AKC ring. He may have shown but I seriously doubt he is a breed champion. Also, the article is from 2017. I definitely like the look of the longer muzzle. I wouldn't touch a Frenchie with a 10 foot pole. Horribly unhealthy breed right now in the US. They are also a current extra popular breed and all sorts of people are breeding just for the $$$. I can't figure out how to make a sign for pounds.

AFB

Visit site
I've always been very anti-frenchies, nothing attractive about them to me (along with the other brac. breeds really) - but the 'healthy' versions are actually quite attractive.