Breeding to/from Appaloosas, Quarter Horses and related breeds

KarynK

Visit site
I posted a similar thread last year so here is the gist of it again. The dominant gene causing Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (PSSM) has been confirmed in a number of horses in the UK. Sadly one mare with the problem had very severe symptoms indeed and despite every effort on the part of her owner was PTS on veterinary recommendation.

It is very unfortunate and nobody’s fault, but there are now readily available tests for this and other genetic disorders for a small cost from a bunch of pulled mane/tail hair.

This disease with the symptoms of Azutoria is found in many other breeds such as Draft, Draft crossbreeds, and warmbloods. But no organised testing is yet under way for them. The discovery of the gene has come about mainly because of the generous funding provided by the American Quarter Horse Association and research conducted at the University of Minnesota. PSSM type 1 which the genetic test identifies accounts for more than 90% of individual QH and related breeds exhibiting the symptoms of PSSM. There is a link to the University website below for those wanting more information.

This gene IS NOT a reason to avoid breeding from or to these breeds, in fact it is exactly the opposite as unlike other breeds there is no risk of inheriting the PSSM/1 dominant diseased gene providing all breeding stock used are tested clear. So please, if you are breeding from or to these breeds ensure that the at-risk parent/s is/are tested prior to mating.

The Appaloosa Horse Club UK has acted and is in the process of requiring all licensed stallions be tested for 2011 and mares and youngsters will be compulsorily tested from 2012, results are to be displayed on the horse’s passport.

I believe that currently the British Appaloosa Society also has testing in place for new Stallions presented for licensing.

I currently writing a paper from voluntarily submitted information from those in the unfortunate position of having positive horses (Many thanks to them for their help, you know who you are). I am hoping to publish very soon but the picture particularly in Quarter Horses is unclear and the recommendation is to test all breeding stock.

If anyone wishes to pass me information on individuals testing positive it will be held in confidence and not disclosed, but the information would be very helpful in researching the extent of the problem in the UK. It would be useful to have the name of the horse, but I would at least need the result of the test and the parent’s details.

The disease symptoms can vary in individuals from no visible signs to unmanageable symptoms and three horses in my study have sadly now been PTS. Some symptomatic individuals improve but are are very dependant on care regime and diet, it does require some effort on the part of an owner and the results are varied. The owners of the affected horses so far are in agreement that this should be dealt with robustly and openly and their message to all breeders is please ask stallion owners for test results if they are not already advertised and test any mares from these breeds before mating.

With some difficult but necessary decisions now we can quickly irradiate this gene from our breeding stock.

If you are considering buying a horse you should ask for test results first and if no results are available ask for the test to be done.

University of Minnesota link
http://www.cvm.umn.edu/umec/lab/home.html

Genetic testing link

http://www.horsedna.co.uk/

Anyone with a horse diagnosed by a vet with suspected EPSM as it is generally known in the UK, might well see improvement on the diet and there are several facebook self help groups on managing the condition Faces of PSSM is one.

Last edited:

isr

Visit site
Have you done any research into the HYPP status of Quarter Horses as well? Because of line breeding of the halter bred horses, it's now something all Quarter Horse breeders should consider testing for as well.

KarynK

Visit site
Yes I have an Impressive bred mare that is n/n for HYPP. HYPP and the recessive disorders linked to King and his Son Poco Bueno are more widely known about and are much easier to control than this one as they trace to a line or in the case of HYPP one stallion Impressive. HYPP status should be recorded on the papers of QH's as well. Of course with the recessives as long as you do not breed two carriers you can not produce an affected foal.

In fact for QH owners the AQHA are offering a disease panel test for all the hereditary diseases for $85 and I believe that Animal Genetics are offering the same panel for any breed for $95 so things are moving on at a pace.

Some breeders have been badly affected with one having several stallions test positive, I have nothing but admiration for this breeder who has taken in the news, recovered from the shock, gelded the boys and found them nice homes, and is looking for a PSSM free stud to start again, I really admire that attitude in the face of what must have been crushing disappointment. Also encouraging was that other breeders with negative horses offered free coverings to help out.

Some big names in working horses are testing their stallions and publishing results so everyone can see so another good example.

The message really is do you homework before you breed and don't be afraid to ask, if you don't get the reply you need find another horse.

Last edited: