Breeds / types... variety, or are you sold on one?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Warmbloods were my first love and I always wanted a coloured. Ended up with a coloured cob, dunno how :p I'm still fixated on the coloured part, luckily there's a lovely coloured warmblood on my yard, two coloured foals, lots of coloured ponies on the RS and my beautiful boy. :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Started off with verrrrry fancy, tall (16.2h min) Trakehners and rode warmbloods for years when competing (dressage), although I rode anything that came in the door with equal pleasure, from Arabs to Tennessee Walking Horses (I was in the US for most of my competition career). Now, the job has changed (still horse-related 'tho), I no longer compete and have 15.2h and under Baroque-type PRE's, Friesians, etc. I don't really mind what breed the horse is as long it is suitable for the job.

Smiler33

Visit site
I have a big soft spot for Highlands having ridden them when I was learning to ride and they were so sweet! My first horse was half Highland and a real saint - second was an Anglo Arab ..... let's not go there :eek:! Highlands all the way

RunToEarth

Visit site
I like horses with a some blood in them, responsive, fast and good looking. Ideally I like something not quite as fine as a full TB, a little bit of bone for hunting is always reassuring.

Hippona

Visit site
Arabs for me.... Tried/owned and still do own various other breeds but i will always compare them all to arabs and no matter what breed it is they are never quite in the same league!

This. I live riding my arab. And just having him allow me to be his human:)
I also own a highland, and OH has an irish cob....they are 'nice'.

Arabs are...'phwoar'....:D

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's whatever floats your boat; can't imagine I'll ever be riding anything that isn't Spanish from now on, 'tho...........

NikkiF

Visit site
Clydedales x TB for me! Have had 3 and they've all been wonderful, deviated once to a WB, moody mare, struggled with her for a year before selling.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have had all sorts an Anglo arab TBs various sorts of 7/8 th TBs I have had ID/TB but don't like them for myself but my OH has several ones that suited him well.
I love Dutch horses and have a a few nice near TB ISH's.
ATM I have a TB , American saddlebred ( although a Dutch born one) and ID and the Clydesdale / welsh section D.
I like a good looking type definatly not coloured I like athletic and quick thinking and definatly not lazy ,
I think I feel the need for a nice KWPN .

Clodagh

Visit site
Have I swapped and changed breeds over the years? No. Would I deviate from a specific type? Yes, but it would remain the same breed.

I can't be the crazy Standardbred lady without a Standardbred :p

In Australia I always rode ex trotters, a similar breed I should think, usually bay and about 15hh. Fantastic ponies, unstressable but when they pace it is a bit odd!

Now I love my threequarterbred, with a splash of ID. Would never touch a warmblood, have met very few who aren't a PITA.

Archiesmummy

Visit site
I always thought I would stick with coloured cob after seven wonderful years with Archie but ...

Am now the proud owner of a beautiful Andalusian gelding who is just the sweetest, most perfect horse for me and absolutely stunningly beautiful.

Have been so smitten I have bought another, within three weeks, to bring on and sell and he is a stunner too x

saddlebred

Visit site
Always had tbx or PBA. Love floaty paces of Arabs but 24 years ago bought a palomino PBA who was 1/4 saddlebred and her movement is floaty AND big. As she reached 30 I came across a purebred palomino saddlebred foal and bought her cos she was related even though I had never ridden a purebred!! Now riding her and all I can say is WOW. Saddlebreds are the most comfortable and responsive ride. Converted for life

Marydoll

Visit site
A nice buzzy thoroughbred, or i love iberian horses, having ridden Sylvia Lochs lovely Espada, id love my own Rubi at some point :D:D at the moment ive got
1 full tb
1 tb x kwpn
2 tb x han

Spottyappy

Visit site
I always was a TB or near TB type of person when younger. Along with cobs, and had a few of each over the years. However, I would now consider most breeds or types as long as they do the job I need them for.
Having said that, I am also a native lover, as natives are just so much easier to manage,( and you get older to mount and dismount from!) on the whole, as long as you watch the grass intake when the green stuff does make an appearance.

Firewell

Visit site
Pretty light weight horses. So TB's, PBA's the smaller, lighter WB's. Nothing nutty though, I like something with a brain :D.
Last 2 horses have been TB, one before that PBA.

I don't like anything remotely heavy, even a hunter or MW is too
heavy for me. That's because I'm fairly small and petite myself and I don't have a lot of strength so my horse has to be sensitive and light to ride. I've tried two ISH's on trial and both took too much of a hold, and cobs are too wide and make my hips ache!!

Visit site
I will always have shetlands and ex-racers. A strange combo but it works :D I also have a fell, darty and welsh d and I think I will always have a bigger 4wd to be honest. I would live a wee 13.2hh show pony as well to show in-hand but after that I would have no one to ride it.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Obviously new forest. Big horses in pony bodies. They do everything asked of them but do occasionally add their own idea of fun. I do pretty much like any native breed but they have to be very well bred same as new forests. Never really been the horsey type, thoroughbreds don't do it for me and working on a warmblood stud errr they don't do it for me either - dumblood springs to mind!!

JoannaC

Visit site
Always been arabs all the way for me love their lightness and responsiveness but a bit chunkier than the thoroughbred although had a 7/8 loan horse once that I adored. However now i'm getting a bit older and my OH is learning to ride i'm thinking about maybe a Section D as there are lots of them at our yard and all are great all rounders. Not in a position to get anything else at the mo but maybe in the not too distant future i'll have a look at Welshies or maybe a Part bred Arab. Something a bit chunkier and safer for my OH anyway.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Started with NF mare as a child, then a 15.3hh Tbxcob gelding as a teenager. After a break of a few years, a little 14hh sec D mare, then a 14.2 arab gelding who I didn't get on with , then a lovely 16.1hh han x th mare, and now my current horse, a 15hh cob gelding.
For me, breed and size are not really important, just needs to be a horse I can develope a bond with. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I was just thinking yesterday, while I bought my Paint Horse (like a Quarter horse) mainly because she is pretty :eek: I would want one in the future again, because she is such a clever and talented little horse, super fast when I want her to be, athletic and keen to do anything, yet a complete dope when there is nothing to do. Yesterday I was moving sheep with her in the trailer too as I wanted to move cows with her, sheep went in first, (there is a partition obviously) then her. When I got to the destination I had to unload her, tie her to the trailer, unload the sheep, and load her back up. She stood like a rock, how many four year olds would cope with that sort of thing?? :D

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I adore Welsh Ds but one in a lifetime was enough for me! Never again... :/

I had a WB for a while but not my thing so wouldn't go there again. I really like a nice ISH hunter type, there's just something about them. Last one was ID x TB and I think a nice ID is simply stunning.

I now have what I think is probably mostly Connie with a bit of cob in, and sometimes I wonder if he has a bit on NF in there too (v NF type head). He's a little star. Very willing, loves to work, cheeky as anything and would jump the moon for you.

I'm not particularly sold on any breed, for me it's simply whether the horse suits me. I set out (this time) to get a(nother) nice ISH type. Tried a couple and couldn't get on with them. Also tried a pure bred Connemara and hated it - rude, sluggish, ignorant thing. Whereas what I ended up with is mostly Connie, so it's definitely more about the horse and his (no mares!!) personality for me, not what breed he is.

Hen

Visit site
Although I've had great times over the years with Welshies, Connemara crosses, full and part-bred Arabs and TBs, I am now totally sold on American Quarter Horses: I just adore their stocky build, kind heart and big brain. They are far and away the most fun horses I have had the pleasure of owning. There are a number of horses of different breeds and types on my yard that I enjoy watching and talking about with their owners, but I can't see me actually wanting to change the breed I have, they're just fabulous.

Last edited:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I went from a 17hh ISH to a 13.3/14hh New Forest Pony (Forest born and bred) - one extreme t'other :D Although, I knew I didn't want another bay ISH gelding after having my old boy PTS (as I didn't want anything to similar to constantly compare to), I wasn't quite intending to buy the exact opposite!

I'd definitely stick to native ponies/native x small horses/cobs in the future - I'm not a competitive rider and I the things I want to do (e.g. TREC, hacking and very low level dressage ... just having FUN really :D ) can be all achieved by this type and they tend to be lower maintenance too.

HBM1

Visit site
Warmbloods only for me I'm afraid (I do like a lot of other breeds, but if I ever owned anything else it would be an Irish Draft).

I love their personalities and their individuality. I have no idea why some people think they are dense, mine are all lovely and intelligent and let's face it, if they didn't have anything about them they wouldn't be such top sports horses. the fact that they are also beautiful to look at it icing.

I remember absolutely falling in love with a horse when I was about 8, and watching showjumping on tv. The commentator said he was a Hanoverian, and from then on I wanted one. (I have a feeling it may have been one of Frankie Sloothaak's)

smanf

Visit site
This. I live riding my arab. And just having him allow me to be his human:)
I also own a highland, and OH has an irish cob....they are 'nice'.

Arabs are...'phwoar'....:D

My old boy was an Irish cob, and my new horse is an Anglo Arab (25% Arab). At what point will I know whether he has allowed me to be his human? Or does it only count with pure breds? :eek:

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Although, I knew I didn't want another bay ISH gelding after having my old boy PTS (as I didn't want anything to similar to constantly compare to), I wasn't quite intending to buy the exact opposite!

Interesting you say that, NPL... that's the logic that's running through my mind.

Still pure speculation at the minute, but I've always been a hairy cob person.

HashRouge

Visit site
I caught the Arab bug from my friend and her mother when I was very young - they had 3, a broodmare, her daughter and an older mare - and I was determined to own one for myself. My parents bought me my lovely mare when I was 11 and she was everything I dreamed of, a beautiful grey Arab mare. I'm 23 now and she is still the only horse I've ever owned. If I could afford it I would have another like a shot. I do love my Arabs. I sometimes think about having a different breed/ type, and I wouldn't rule it out. But I would always look at Arabs first.