Brexit

blackislegirl

Visit site
Negatively. Just like it will affect almost everything else, especially if it's done without an agreement. Specifically, travelling horses in and out out of the UK will be more complicated. There is government information you can find online about that. Pro EU riders and trainers might need work permits to work here. Or apply for permission to live here, if that's what they want to do.

Shay

Visit site
There's a "wet Sunday afternoon" question! The basic answer is that right now we don't know! If there is a deal or transition period then pretty much everything will stay the same for at least 2 years. If there is no deal then things become more complex. There is already agreement that Elite horses will be able to travel freely as now. If you are prone to going on holiday with your horse (or dog etc) that could become more complicated - but the agreement for pet transport is not in fact linked to membership of the EU and may well continue. The Home Office has already been absolutely clear that nothing immigration wise will change until 2021 at the earliest so pro riders / trainers etc should be fine.

There could be an impact on imports from the EU which would fall under WTO rules and so might carry a tarrif. That could impact feed suppliers - and human food prices. But UK based feed companies using UK ingredients will be the same. Land subsidies may well cease - that might mean a reduction in set aside land - in turn potentially impacting hunts, endurance rides etc. The possible loss of more freely available labour from the EU might impact low wage areas, so there could be a shortage of grooms / racing lads etc. But that is just speculation at this point.

I think they things is that we don;t know - we didn't know when we voted and if anything we actually know less now!

blackislegirl

Visit site
..... If you are prone to going on holiday with your horse (or dog etc) that could become more complicated - but the agreement for pet transport is not in fact linked to membership of the EU and may well continue. .../QUOTE]

That is not what the BBC reality-check web page says.....here is an extract from an article dated 22 March 2019:
What about my pets?
Any pet passports issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU if there's no deal.
If you want your pet to come with you, whether in a deal or no-deal scenario, you will have to contact your vet at least four months before you plan to travel, so you can get the latest advice.
In short, the rules will change if the UK leaves with no deal. You would have to get your cat, dog or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before it can travel - it would then need a blood sample to be taken at least 30 days after having the vaccination.
This test is basically to make sure the vaccine has worked. You'd then have to wait another three months before you could travel.

catkin

Visit site
What happens in agriculture will affect the horse world as so much of the underlying support infrastructure depends upon the same stuff particularly forage and feed supplies, land management, veterinary, research - it goes on and on. Without a strong agricultural base many of the UK support industries coud become unsustainable which will affect all parts of the horse world.

Kaylum

Visit site
I was at Beta this year and they had a Brexit debate with the top horse product manufacturers and they were saying we have no idea what we are letting ourselves into and there were no positive comments.

Also with some many companies pulling out of the uk people losing their jobs that is where the depression starts.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I strongly support Brexit - although there are still some questions need answering, and agreements on a more local scale that can be dealt with quite easily once we have a clue if there is a bad deal or no deal. nd the main reason is animal welfare. EU animal welfare laws are pathetic - and while we are in the EU, we suffer the knock-on. Horses that SHOULD have been killed in Europe (French fattening farms, for example) now end up here in dealers' lorries where they show a better profit when sold to people who don't really KNOW what they want or that the horse is unfit for purpose. Laws here cannot be properly fixed without EU agreement. And getting the EU to agree to anything at all is almost impossible.

Yes, there will be problems in some areas - but at least we can bang on our own MPs' doors and DEMAND a fix. And they won't be able to fob us off because 'The EU says ...."

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Another negative nancy here. Expect to pay a lot more for everything - hard feed, hay, equipment. I work in Civil Service/DEFRA and nobody has anything positive to say here in the office either. JanetGeorge I think you give our MP's too much credit to think that they would actually do any better without EU red tape. It's all entirely hopeless if you ask me. I'm just clinging on to the hope of a second referendum however unlikely that may be.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
being in the eu we have had an impact on animal welfare and the rules..........things are changing but at a slow pace. but then again you can not change unless you are within an organisation.

brexit as it stands is going to have very large impact on research and drug production,, manufacturing etc in this country, we have gone from those who define the rules in effect to those who now will have to ask what the rules are so we can trade with them. there is going to be extra paper work and tariffs on a lot of goods, i can see a lot more zero hours type contracts, with the "we have to pull together mantric" as an excuse. in all the cost of living no doubt will rise, the knock on impact is there will be less disposable income for people to have the horse, etc

but there is a silver lining in about 50 yrs according to Reese-Mogg..............

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Another negative nancy here. Expect to pay a lot more for everything - hard feed, hay, equipment. I work in Civil Service/DEFRA and nobody has anything positive to say here in the office either. JanetGeorge I think you give our MP's too much credit to think that they would actually do any better without EU red tape. It's all entirely hopeless if you ask me. I'm just clinging on to the hope of a second referendum however unlikely that may be.

lol, having met a few civil servants at Defra's predecessor, MAFF - I feel for you! And my experience with them was when they were stopped by the EU (a bib at Stanstead needed a rubber stamp to be used - and it had been ready 6 months without some EU twit getting off his arse.) But at least if the EU is out of it, we can hit MPs where it hurts., MPs HATE cross constituents, lol, especially those in areas where there are likely to be a lot of them (rural MPs are so easy to beat up over rural issues - especially if they are Tories and scared of LibDem/Independent candidates at the next election - or WANT the support of others on their side. Interesting that Gove has waited until NOW to reverse Natural England's dimness on licences to control certain birds, I think.

blackislegirl

Visit site
[QUOTE="JanetGeorge, post: 14026803, member: 34193", MPs HATE cross constituents, lol, especially those in areas where there are likely to be a lot of them (rural MPs are so easy to beat up over rural issues - especially if they are Tories k.[/QUOTE

My experience of rural Tory MPs in Suffolk is that they are completely dismissive (to the point of rudeness) of constituents who do not share their views, no matter how 'cross' they are. We seem to be living in a divided society with a first-past-the-post political system that is no longer fit for purpose. Count me as another longing for that second referendum.