Brian has failed his exams

3OldPonies

Visit site
Good for Brian!

I know they say that police horses have their uses, but I'm not convinced in this increasingly violent world whether it is appropriate to put any animal whether it be a dog or a horse into frontline duty. So I for one, am very glad he failed his exams.

Faithkat

Visit site
I had to smile when the Police wanted to change his name. Nothing wrong with Brian (suits him actually) and their existing horses don't always have "tough" names. I was a Gamesmaker at Greenwich Park in the Accreditation Office. A couple of mounted Met Police turned up one day and had to have accreditation to get into the Park. I went out to see their horses (as you do!). Can't remember both the horses' names but one of them was Annabel, not exactly a "hard" name . . . . . ;)

teapot

Visit site
I too wonder where that original comment about having 'hard' names come from as I've regularly cuddled Magoo, one of the Met horses and all he seems interested in is polos...

According to the BBC, Brian wasn't bold enough out in the urban environment etc.

Wimbles

Visit site
I also own a horse called Brian who was another failure. Upon googling his racing name I found these tremendous quotes!

"Save your money and tell the trainer to find it a good home. That's the worst animal I have ever seen contesting a horse race"

"It couldn’t beat a three legged donkey with gout"

Must be something about the name!

Annagain

Visit site
I also own a horse called Brian who was another failure. Upon googling his racing name I found these tremendous quotes!

"Save your money and tell the trainer to find it a good home. That's the worst animal I have ever seen contesting a horse race"

"It couldn’t beat a three legged donkey with gout"

Must be something about the name!

Love the donkey comment!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had to smile when the Police wanted to change his name. Nothing wrong with Brian (suits him actually) and their existing horses don't always have "tough" names. I was a Gamesmaker at Greenwich Park in the Accreditation Office. A couple of mounted Met Police turned up one day and had to have accreditation to get into the Park. I went out to see their horses (as you do!). Can't remember both the horses' names but one of them was Annabel, not exactly a "hard" name . . . . . ;)

Ha Ha, I worked mounted at the games, and if you had asked I would have said I was riding Harry Hoover (half cob!). That was not his OFFICIAL name, ours are named after places in our county. The worst name I had was "Thorpe Salvin" which the spellcheck would change to Thorpe Saliva. You would hardly call that when catching from a field.

They have official names and pet ones. He may well have remained a Brian within his home environment.

All ours had official names. GMP uses the same names, when one retired the next up took the name and tra la, the tack peg was already labelled up.

Where were you working?

Annagain

Visit site
Ha Ha, I worked mounted at the games, and if you had asked I would have said I was riding Harry Hoover (half cob!). That was not his OFFICIAL name, ours are named after places in our county. The worst name I had was "Thorpe Salvin" which the spellcheck would change to Thorpe Saliva. You would hardly call that when catching from a field.

They have official names and pet ones. He may well have remained a Brian within his home environment.

All ours had official names. GMP uses the same names, when one retired the next up took the name and tra la, the tack peg was already labelled up.

Where were you working?

Don't GMP name them all after Dickens characters? I'm sure I read that once, Snodgrass has stuck in my mind?

Floxie

Visit site
I didn't read that they were supposed to have 'hard' names, just that his section traditionally used god and mythology names as a theme.

pip6

Visit site
Glad he went back to owners. They always used to send the failures to Reading market to be sold on. Remember them, grooms always looked so sad about having to pass on their charges that way, which I could understand. There was a very broad spectrum of horses for sale at that market, never enjoyed going there, did so to keep friend company only.