Briarlands Firefly - trying to trace breeding/pedigree

madeleinewachman

blanchardshillfarm.co.uk
I am hoping that with so many people who are knowledgeable about breeding on this forum, that someone might be able to help!

I am trying to track a mare of mine's breeding. She is out of a mare called Justa Phase, who was out of Ilbury, who I have found; who I understand is by Grey Sovereign. Justa Phase's dam was Briarland Firefly. There are a number of Briarland horses on the BE web site, some of which are related through Ilbury, however I wondered where the Briarland pre fix comes from, if anyone has can tell me more about Briarland Firefly or Justa Phase for that matter.
Also does anyone know of any successful eventers by Ilbury?
Both Briarlands Firewood the advanced eventer ridden by Bryony Wilson and Briarlands Blackberry ridden by Izzy Taylor seem to also have Ilbury in their breeding, coupled with the Briarlands pre-fix.

Any help much appreciated!

Violet

Visit site
According to NTR's foaling returns for 1974 (Vol 1). Briarland Firefly had a chestnut filly on the 17 of April 1974 by Ilbury. Could thar be Justa Phase/Just a Phase.
Breeder was Mrs L. Schuster.
There are B. Flycatch, B. Foxglove, B. Mayfly, B. Surprise in the same volume. Offspring by Ilbury all bred by Mrs L. Schuster.
B. Firefly was barren in 1975 to Pinicola and died in October 1975.
Briarland Firelite bay mare by Ilbury out of Briarland Firefly was born in 1971, same breeder.
B. Mayfly died Sept. 1977 and B. Flycatch in Dec. 1980.
Haven't found Just a Phase listed with name yet.

madeleinewachman

blanchardshillfarm.co.uk
Violet,

Thankyou so much for your research. I do believe that Justa Phase was a chestnut mare, so I suspect that you are right. What is the NTR?
I would like to find out what Briarland Firefly's breeding is as I can't seem to trace this and to find out where the Briarlands prefix comes from. From your research perhaps the prefix is connected to the Schusters.
Any more help much appreciated.

Violet

Visit site
NTR - Non-Thoroughbred Register.
I was looking the mares up in the "Foaling Returns for The Register of Non-Thoroughbred Mares" which was published by Weatherbys. Mares have been linked to the General Stud Book and to Prior's Half-Bred Stud Book. They are a record of mares with incomplete, unconfirmed or unknown parentage which might be able to produce foals with racing ability.

I have now also found out a bit more about Briarland Firefly and I have put all the details on Sporthorse Breeder Database.

Briarland Firefly

I will PM you with the contact details for the breeder The Hon. Mrs Lorna F Schuster.

Firefly's dam was registered with the SHB (GB) she was called Fly (H.S.B. 12838) and her breeding goes back to Ireland. Fly has got 7 offspring listed in the Hunter Stud Book Vol XXI.

None of the offspring had the Briarland Prefix by 1966 so it must have been added at a later date.

madeleinewachman

blanchardshillfarm.co.uk
Thankyou so much Violet!

someone pm' me also and I have managed to get in touch with a Guy Avis who produced all the Briarland horses for Lorna Schuster. She is apparantly now about 96! He is hopefully going to be able to tell me what Justa Phase's original name was, he thinks she had a Briarlands prefix before being sold.
I haven't been able to find out if she had any other offspring, other than my mare, it seems that Briarlands Firefly only had the two foals Justa Phase, my mares dam and Briarlands Firelight, who was Briarlands Firewoods dam.

My mare is an ex advanced eventer and I have a cracking Jaguar Mail colt from her this year. I have lots of information on her sire and the colts sire, but less on the dam's line, so I was keen to research this as much as possible as I always think this is as important.
I was really pleased to find out that her dam line had produced some other advanced eventers!

Violet

Visit site
Good to hear.

I don't know if you realise that if you click on the bold brown coloured Briarland Firefly above it will take you to the Sporthorse Breeder Database info on B.F.
I have put on all the details I've found so far there.
Her dam Fly has got 6 named offspring and one unnamed.

I did PM you yesterday with some phone numbers and addresses.