Brick stables

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
We are moving yards in a few weeks. Absolutely dreading it but new yard has fab facilities including huge brick stables, lovely to bring into if it gets hot. Currently in wooden ones which are like a sauna!! My main concern is that there are no bars between the stables so the horses can't see each other. They have both been in this type of stable before with seemingly no bother. I think with the move and everything going on I have focused a bit too much on this possibly non issue! Tell me they will be ok!!

Britestar

Visit site
Mine much prefer not seeing each other.

I had my stables built with full height walls on purpose. They get privacy but can still see each other with their heads over the doors.

Having had a couple who can't stand being in constant view it made for a happier yard. The biggest lad can get his head over just.

Lovely and cool in summer, cosy warm in winter, and not at all noisy in the wind.

Attachments

• 20230630_174754.jpg
    20230630_174754.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Mine much prefer not seeing each other.

I had my stables built with full height walls on purpose. They get privacy but can still see each other with their heads over the doors.

Having had a couple who can't stand being in constant view it made for a happier yard. The biggest lad can get his head over just.

Lovely and cool in summer, cosy warm in winter, and not at all noisy in the wind.
Thanks Britestar. The stables really are lovely. I guess they know each other is there anyway. They have got pens in winter if too wet to turn out so they can see each other easily then. As I said they have both been in stables like that before so I'm really hoping they settle. Love your set up!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It sounds lovely. I assume they can see each other with heads over doors?
I prefer no bars because so many horses can get stressed out by them imo. It was the one thing that put me off moving one if mine to a really otherwise lovely yard once. He would have had bars both sides and that would have caused an issue for him.

Nasicus

Visit site
No bars here either, stresses my mare right out to have no say in whether or not she wants company. If she wants to be chatty, she pops her head out the door.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine have never been in stables where they can see each other and they're fine. When I took Monty to camp and they had bars on the stables, we had to move him to the end and have an empty stable between him and his best mate because he was evil, even to his best mate. I think he thought horses either side of him could steal his food. He was kicking the walls, lunging at the bars, charging round his stable and was generally very unhappy for a normally very laid back horse.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
It sounds lovely. I assume they can see each other with heads over doors?
I prefer no bars because so many horses can get stressed out by them imo. It was the one thing that put me off moving one if mine to a really otherwise lovely yard once. He would have had bars both sides and that would have caused an issue for him.
Yes they will be able to see each other with heads over doors. Glad to heat no bars work for you as well.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Mine have never been in stables where they can see each other and they're fine. When I took Monty to camp and they had bars on the stables, we had to move him to the end and have an empty stable between him and his best mate because he was evil, even to his best mate. I think he thought horses either side of him could steal his food. He was kicking the walls, lunging at the bars, charging round his stable and was generally very unhappy for a normally very laid back horse.
My tb was the opposite when I took him to camp, he was the one stealing hay and haylage from his neighbours!! When I viewed him the stables were wooden and didn't have bars. My oldie was also in a stable for 11 years without bars and he was fine. To be honest I never gave it a second thought....until now!!