Bridle - rant alert!!!

buddylove

Visit site
Why does every retailer seem to think we only want black bridles?!!!
Now I have my eye on a beautiful Don Harry bridle for "best", but I would like something similarly designed for everyday use. Padded cut-back monocrown head piece and a cavesson with no flash. I see lots on t'internet of this very description, under £100.. ... in black!! Grrrrr

Damnation

Visit site
I have the same problem with flash attachments.

I do not need a flash, I actually need a drop noseband or a cavesson.

I do not want an unsightly loop that I have to unpick stitching on and I don't want a flat hunter noseband!!!!! Finding a nice, mid range drop noseband bridle is like trying to poop out a gold brick!

I feel your pain.

Crackerz

Visit site
This is why i buy my bridles in parts on the whole! Alfie has a pony length head, but broad forehead so needs a cob headpiece and a mid size browband. I always use Fylde for my tack but that's not the kind you are after i know :)

LibbyL

Visit site
Was a nice collegiate and a nice jeffries on ebay last night

I do not want an unsightly loop that I have to unpick stitching on and I don't want a flat hunter noseband!!!!! Finding a nice, mid range drop noseband bridle is like trying to poop out a gold brick!

I feel your pain.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I work within equine retail, we use to stock a whole range off bridles, but every product has to prove its worth on the shelf, because off this we now only stock flash bridles, hunt bridles and cavasons in both colours but black and flash is by far our best seller.

vam

Visit site
I'm trying to find a brown cavason ideally with a shaped headpiece, they are like rocking horse ****.
I've got 2 really nice bridles, both have grackles and because both are shaped comfort ones, the nose bands do up on both sides making it harder to just buy a cavason, even if I could find one the right shade of brown (at least black it black, brown seems to cover all sorts of shades). I'm loath to buy a whole new bridle nor do I want to spend the money only to have to cut the flash loop off, especially as the ones I like aren't cheap. It's driving me potty...

Embo

Visit site

I feel your pain.

This. Everything is either flash or crank, neither of which I need or want. Annoys me when people point out that you don't have to do a crank up tight, but I don't like the look of them.

Glad to see more and more removable flash attachments coming onto the market, but I'd rather shops would stock a full range.

Lammy

Visit site
I just got a lovely new bridle and I'm so so in love with it.
Shaped and padded headpiece, in brown, drop noseband (cavesson also available) and a lovely choice of browbands to go with it. It fits great and the leather is good quality for a £70 bridle.

I got mine from LME and I really recommend them for a nice everyday bridle under £100 :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think likely because the sort of bridle you are after, cut back headpiece etc are most frequently wanted by dressage divas,
dressage tack is black.

EQUIDAE

Visit site

I feel your pain.
I've found a lovely one and the top of the noseband is adjustable too - I'll post a link when I find one

buddylove

Visit site
I think likely because the sort of bridle you are after, cut back headpiece etc are most frequently wanted by dressage divas,
dressage tack is black.
Had my dressage saddle made in Brown! Black tack for dressage is just a fashion, not the correct thing to do!!
I never have and never will have black tack, boring traditionalist that I am!

buddylove

Visit site
I just got a lovely new bridle and I'm so so in love with it.
Shaped and padded headpiece, in brown, drop noseband (cavesson also available) and a lovely choice of browbands to go with it. It fits great and the leather is good quality for a £70 bridle.

I got mine from LME and I really recommend them for a nice everyday bridle under £100 :)
Thanks - will have a look 😊

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Had my dressage saddle made in Brown! Black tack for dressage is just a fashion, not the correct thing to do!!
I never have and never will have black tack, boring traditionalist that I am!

I didn't say it was correct, my dressage saddle is brown too :p but most people's isn't.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I actually prefer black tack on black horses, I've had two black horses I still have one who's slowly going grey in his later years and brown tack looks horrid on them, brown is technically correct but sometimes just because it is correct doesn't make it look good ;)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I actually prefer black tack on black horses, I've had two black horses I still have one who's slowly going grey in his later years and brown tack looks horrid on them, brown is technically correct but sometimes just because it is correct doesn't make it look good ;)

I disagree - black tack on a black horse makes them look dark bay and washed out, brown tack makes them ping.

only_me

Visit site
Problem with brown tack is that you are generally limited to the brand that you buy, as then if you need extras the brown will match. Black mightn't be as traditional but is easier to mix & match with other brands :)
I like black tack as it looks smart and I've found the quality is excellent. But I also have a brown Hunter double bridle for when we show, and quality is poor tbh. It's been oiled to death and is now nice and supple.

OP try Katie Negus saddlery, it has nice quality bridles and you can make up your bridle :)

Damnation

Visit site
Depending on the horse depends on the tack for me.

Last mare was a TB, bay mare and brown tack just suited her. Current mare is a chunkier WB and a slightly darker bay, but I don't know, it just doesn't look *right*. Plus, my bargain, beloved Ideal Jessica saddle is black (Bought cheap off a friend, very very well looked after for a bargain price, I couldn't say no, its the most comfortable thing my backside has had the pleasure of sitting on!) so the bridle has to match. :D

If the saddle had been brown, I'd have a brown bridle :D

honetpot

Visit site
I work within equine retail, we use to stock a whole range off bridles, but every product has to prove its worth on the shelf, because off this we now only stock flash bridles, hunt bridles and cavasons in both colours but black and flash is by far our best seller.

I am someone else who is looking for something without a flash in brown. I do not want imported leather and I am happy to pay a good price but having been in several shops, most stock imported leather in black, with a flash. You can not buy if they do not have it in stock. So I have had to use e-bay.

Embo

Visit site
Must admit, I do prefer the look of brown tack in general but it just doesn't look right on a grey, IMO! So black it is! My last horse was bright bay and all tack was brown, super smart. Just didn't suit current, grey horse. Had to get new saddle anyway, so switched to black tack. Looks much better on him.

kc100

Visit site
CK Equine on Facebook are very reasonably priced (around £80-£120 depending on what type you want) and do most styles in black and brown, you can design your own bridle pretty much. I just pm'd them my requirements and they price it up for you. Could be worth a try?

kc100

Visit site
I think they have been a bit difficult to get hold of recently though given by recent postings?

She replied to my message (sent her the PM on Monday) within 2 hours so I don't have any complaints! She does put a post on the CK page when she is going away to shows etc. so its pretty clear when she's not there....think some people are just being a bit OTT!