bridle/rein dilemma for in-hand showing- opinions needed please!

inthehills

Visit site
It's my first show on Saturday with my 6YO highland, and his first show too. Excited to be finally making it to one but having a bit of a dilemma over tack!

Having very little experience of showing, I bought a brown in-hand chain (with the long leather strap) and thought I could use that with his brown bridle. However, I've now read that you are only supposed to use these with a proper in-hand bridle. I'm also doubtful of how much grip it will give me if he decides to get excited!

I've been rummaging in my tack 'collection' but the only reins I have are either webbing reins (brown) or black leather reins which go with a black bridle, but aren't in the best condition.

It's a bit of paltry selection and I don't have time to go shopping (or have a tack shop anywhere near) before the day :-(

Which would you pick? brown bridle with show chain or webbing reins or go for a black bridle with black leather reins (and get rubbing the leather balm in!)

Also, will it matter at all if the noseband has a flash loop? Both nosebands have one- I couldn't find bridles without them although I never use them. I could possibly cut the loop off if I needed too.

Many thanks for any help :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Brown tack ideally, and I was taught that a ridden horse should be shown with two reins on a riding bridle even when in hand.
That said if it is your first show nobody really minds, use what you are happiest with, have a good day, turn your horse away from you, run like heck, share an ice cream, make sure you both drink plenty and enjoy it

inthehills

Visit site
thank you for your reply :)
that's reassuring to know, think I'm over thinking things as I'm starting to get nervous (but definitely an excited nervous :-D )

Orangehorse

Visit site
Agree, don't get over thinking. Use the reins not the lead. If you can bear it remove the flash loop. Brown is always correct, but if your horse is grey you could use black.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thank you. I will operate on the brown bridle and remove the flash loop! I can't see that I will ever use it anyway.

If its his first show, you might be better with the chain lead. its longer if he does a runner on you, and if he gets strong (which a lot of highlands do) then you can thread the chain from the off side through the bit rings and use as a curb. I've done an awful lot of in hand classes, and have never used riding reins.

Emily99

Visit site
Judges really don't care if tack is brown or black as long as the rest of it is correct!

Adults should be shown in doubles or Pelhams with two reins inhand but for a local show a smart plain caves son bridle with a set of reins will be fine.