Bridle woes...

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I seem to have a very sensitive horse- he yawns when I put the bridle on and yawns and rubs (Excessively)when I take it off-

im pretty sure both these things are a sign of tension/pressure and I want to relieve both.

No teeth/back/saddle issues, all checked.

Tried the micklem
Tried the Comfitec

I want to try an anatomical style bridle but without a flash- im not sure he really needs it to be honest.
Any recommendations that won’t break the bank? (Incase it doesn’t work and I have to re sell it)

Barlow

Visit site
I have exactly the same problem, not helped by the physio telling me he holds all his tension in his poll and head. After trying a range of bridles we are now going for made to measure using wolds. Hoping a bridle that actually fits him will be a good start!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
What bit do you have in?
I would use a small eggbutt (stable and not extending too far up the face) no noseband and make sure the browband is at least 1 size bigger than the bridle so there's loads of room around the ears.
If that helps then change back 1 thing at a time

hes in a NS eggbutt lozenge- though I don’t think he minds this I have got a happy mouth bomber which I was debating trying...

the Comfitec has loads of room around the ears (it’s abit big).. I could try and remove the comfitec noseband and as a trial before I buy a new one.

Wheels

Visit site
When did he last have physio / chiropractor treatment and did the do a poll release, hyoid release and TMJ work?

Often horses which display these symptoms you describe have an issue in one or all of those areas and not all physios regularly check.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
When did he last have physio / chiropractor treatment and did the do a poll release, hyoid release and TMJ work?

Often horses which display these symptoms you describe have an issue in one or all of those areas and not all physios regularly check.

About 2.5 weeks ago- she did check, she said he held lots of tension there-

so I had the dentist back out and they found an ulcer on the side the tension was on, he was rested and re checked, ulcer gone but he’s still doing it.
Thing is, he’s done this for months so I’m not convinced the yawn/itching is from the ulcer short term.

flying_high

Visit site
I have just bought a Quantum bridle, my horse sounds similar. I had lady come and fit it. I rode in my normal bridle, changed to Quantum. Changed back to my normal bridle. (Reins and bit unchanged), difference was huge, and changed back when swapped back. I already had a FSS comfort anatomical bridle, curved padded headpiece, large browband, loose padded noseband. Lady doing the fitting said my existing bridle was a good fit, and as good as can get for my horse in traditional bridle.

vmac66

Visit site
I have a Horsemanship saddlery bridle for my horse with the noseband removed. They do a all the parts individually. Lovely bridle. My mare would rub her head after being ridden, took the noseband off and she stopped. Only use the noseband for dressage now.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I haven’t used any of these myself but Protechmasta have various products said to relieve poll sensitivity that may be worth considering and are not very expensive.