Bridleways vs footpaths..

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
im looking on the maps for routes and keep coming across bridleways that turn in to footpaths half way up! Are these passable usually? I’m not really a map reader to be honest and I thought footpaths mainly had stiles these days.
Perhaps I’ll just have to head out and see for myself, what’s your experience with bridleways turning in to footpaths? Usually passable? X

pink: bridleway
Red: footpath

Attachments

• 808C0C01-3F2F-4D89-9C35-B55BA4447F11.png
    808C0C01-3F2F-4D89-9C35-B55BA4447F11.png
    708.6 KB · Views: 67

Op_al12

Visit site
I have experienced something similar, on the actual path there was a sign saying footpath (bearing in mind this was in the middle of a bridlepath) we carried on down it, not meeting any walkers and a few hundred yards later there was another sign saying it was a bridlepath. the maps also stated it was a bridlepath. A little misleading as the only other way was back. I would go check it out, it might be the same problem I had but just vice versa!

Jasper151

Visit site
Check on your areas right of way map - should be available on the council website. It will tell you what route it is and if there are any gates. I also tend to walk the route first, so I know it is safe to ride, but also so I have some idea where I am going!

TheLankyRider

Visit site
My local council has quite a few bridleways that end in footpaths simply because the area that's now classified as a footpath required some form of maintenance (bridge repair/ tree removal etc etc) and thus was cheaper to ignore the maintenance and just reclassify as a footpath since the requirements are much lower for footpaths. It may still be passable though, worth checking it out on foot or bicycle first.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
It’s really confusing. Some of the footpaths are also classed as byways which I thought were ok to use? The one I’ve been looking at on council maps shows both footpath and byway then into bridleway. Really annoying, most of the routes I used to use aren’t even marked as anything so will definitely have to find out about getting them listed as a bridleway. X

Leandy

Visit site
You shouldn’t be on it if it’s a footpath, even if there aren’t stiles.

This is mostly true, you are not permitted to ride on a footpath even if it is passable unless you have the landowners permission. If a path is passable, if it is regularly used by horses it may be that the landowner does not mind and it is a permissive path. Alternatively, you could find out who the land owner is and ask permission, although in those circumstances you may well get a negative response but there is no harm asking!

Leandy

Visit site
It’s really confusing. Some of the footpaths are also classed as byways which I thought were ok to use? The one I’ve been looking at on council maps shows both footpath and byway then into bridleway. Really annoying, most of the routes I used to use aren’t even marked as anything so will definitely have to find out about getting them listed as a bridleway. X

Correct, you can ride on a byway.

Sealine

Visit site
If you see a footpath being ridden on or with hoof prints on it that doesn't mean anyone can ride on it. There are various bridleways and footpaths around the farm where I keep my horse and the liveries are allowed to ride on some of the footpaths and on various other tracks that are neither footpath or bridlepath. If the land owner sees non-liveries riding anywhere other than a bridlepath they will live to regret it!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
To determine the correct status of a path you need to refer to the Definitive Map of your area, which may be available on your local authorities web site.
You may not ride a horse on a public footpath but you can ride a horse on a public bridleway, restricted byway or a byway.
A horse may only be driven on a restricted byway or byway.
In about 1959 every Parish Council was asked to record the status of the public rights of way crossing their land.
At that time most parish councils had farmers and landowners on the parish council.
Many of them purposely un-recorded the status of the rights of way in the parish.
This is why you find that the status of some paths change when one crosses the parish boundary as some were honest!
If you using a route which is neither recorded as a public right of way or only recorded as a public footpath then to get this corrected you need to get a Definitive Map Modification Order application made to the local authority. To do this evidence such as that obtained from historic research or user evidence is required.
If you need any assistance then contact the local British Horse Society Access Officer the contact details of whom you can get from The British Horse Society Access Department Tel: 02476 840548

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Just to update. I followed the path on foot today and it came to a stile ☹️ Anyway, a stroke of luck, on my walk round I bumped in to a lady who has A horse herself and knows all the bridleways round here like the back of her hand! What are the chances? So I’m meeting her in the morning on the horses. How good is that. Lol. Thank you everyone xx